Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 5 AM sizing??
  • SeanOrange
    Free Member

Help please! I sold my 2007 Orange 5 last year as I needed some funds to get the family car fixed. I always intended in buying an updated model when cashflow improved. I'm now looking at getting a new 5 in a few months time.
    I just presumed that as I had a 18" then; I would buy the same this time. I'm looking at the geometry of the 5 AM and its different to the regular 5. Standover is closer on the 16" 2010 5 AM to the 18" 2007 5 and I think a 18" 2010 5 AM would be too big. I'm 5'10" ish and the 18" 2007 5 fitted me fine.
    Anyone have experience with this?

coatesy
    Free Member

The actual frame geometry hasn't changed a huge ammount, but the longer travel fork on the AM will affect the standover height. I'd suggest sticking with an 18" if you were happy with the fit of the old one, after all, you'll spend more time in the "cockpit" riding it than you will standing over it.

SeanOrange
    Free Member

Thanks Coatesy, just needed a bit of reassurance I think. I'd be looking at getting the Talas upgrade on the 36s anyway so would be mostly running it at 130mm travel making the angles closer to standard.

coogan
    Free Member

Then why not just get the standard version?

SeanOrange
    Free Member

Bolt through rear & stiffer bigger forks for downhills 😉

oxnop
    Free Member

sold my 2009 five AM a couple of months ago

Im 5 11" and it fit me fine – my mate took it for a weekend and loved it – He is 5 9"

I rode mine mainly at 130mm – only extended to 160mm on really steep stuff – id go for some 2010 rev teams (150 – 120) rather then the 36's you would save at least a lb (i think) and they seem much plusher/ more controlled than the 36's (got them on my mojo and rate them)

SeanOrange
    Free Member

Oxnop, I take yours was a 18" and why did you sell? The 36s come on the full bikes so will see how I find them then sell on if unhappy. Are the 2010 Rev Teams u-turn then?

drew

Sorry about the hijack but if you don't mind me asking oxnop how much did your am go for. I have a 20" 2009 which I am thinking of selling as its too big for me at 5'10" and was wondering how much I should ask for it. Actually it does'nt feel that big for me so I would have thought the 18" would be perfect for you SeanOrange.

SeanOrange
    Free Member

Nice one Drew, just the info I was after. 18" it is then…..
    …..now what colour!? 😳 (ducks for cover)

oxnop
    Free Member

Oxnop, I take yours was a 18" and why did you sell? The 36s come on the full bikes so will see how I find them then sell on if unhappy. Are the 2010 Rev Teams u-turn then?

Yep 18", sold as I wanted to build a lighter bike which would handle what the five would + there is nothing quite like the feeling of building a new bike 😳

The 36's made the front end feel heavy and as I said above the 36's made the bike feel a little 'wooden'(IMO), the over-damped rear shock didn't help with the wooden feeling (single pivot trait IMO)

I sold the frame/hope seat clamp/BB/hope headset for £750 (it looked brand new TBH)

And yes the revs are uturn.

SeanOrange
    Free Member

I don't think I'll buy another uturn fork mind. Got the Pikes just set at 140 coz cant be bothered with the faff. Beauty of Talas though its just a click to adjust.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘5 AM sizing??’ is closed to new replies.