Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • £4k max- Best estate car ?
  • scruff
    Free Member

wont do not many miles, mostly round town / a roads hauling children and associated items about so needs to be biggish.

Petrol Mondeo?

al2000

Were you waiting for your keys back so you could sell yours?

Anyway, Sofa's Peugeot estate was pretty decent. Dunno what it was though, if that helps.

Paisley
    Free Member

I had that budget and bought a Passat TDI 130 Highline estate on an 05 plate and haven't regreted it. The Mondeo was the other car on my shortlist.

andrewh
    Free Member

Had a Mondeo for ages, recomended. Diesels ones are good. Also, 75/ZT pretty good and much cheaper than equivelant V70.

steveh

Get a petrol if you don't do many miles it'll get you a newer/lower mileage car. Mondeo would be my first choice. Cars of that size are cheaper than slightly smaller ones e.g. focus.

iDave
    Free Member

you can have my saab for £300 and less than a grand will get you an engine in it….. no, really, you can……

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Avensis, Mazda 6, Honda accord.

scruff
    Free Member

S'for the bread, Js knees are against the drivers seat in her Pug Rot. Dave, can wimmin fit new engines?

I like mazdas, dont think she will go for owt Jap though.

DickBarton

Berlingo

scruff
    Free Member

(Al, I needed a bath tonight to warm up.)

scruff
    Free Member

Berlingo? No chance.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

I've got an Mg ZT-T 2.5 litre petrol. You can get a lot of car for the money and very nice to drive. Fuel consumption is fine if your milage is low but the boot is smaller than a Mondeo estate.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Renault grand scenic loads of room for kids plus seats come out so it's a van for biking best family car I ever bought for the wife.

other that that

1 Mondeo or a Vectra they are huge
    2 Accord
    3 Focus
    4 Mazda 6
    5 Mazda 5
    6 Avensis (verso?)
    7 Vauxhall signum
    8 I could go on

Jimbo
    Free Member

Anything from the following that you find in te best condition:

Mondeo
    Vectra
    Octavia
    Passat
    Avensis
    Primera

Basically anything that's bought (and sold!) en masse by the fleet firms. Millions of 'em about in basic/middle-of-the-road spec, so prices down and choice up accordingly.

al2000

(Not surprised, I was effing freezing on the way home)

racing_ralph
    Free Member

My mondeo will be going begging soon
    2003 53 plate tdci estate
    86k miles
    fsh
    just had the clutch and dual mass flywheel sorted (£700)
    VGC
    robjackson@hotmail.co.uk

NikNak7890
    Free Member

If Scruff isn't interested in your Mondeo Rob, I may be 😉

martin555
    Free Member

Subaru impreza turbo 5 door
    Live the dream!!!!

iDave
    Free Member

Live the dream!!!!

more like a nightmare – 17mpg, not that big inside, huge insurance etc

martin555
    Free Member

Insurance not that bad if got good no claims
    17mpg if you have a lead foot all the time!

I love mine, its dogs bo****s on the right bit of road

racing_ralph
    Free Member

NikNak can you email me please

snakebite
    Free Member

petrol mundano, mys good, just swallows everything up….nowt special, just work..

NikNak7890
    Free Member

Will do Rob, just need to pass it past the Missus first 😉

MaxRocks
    Free Member

VW Passat for me, wish I never got rid of ours. Now have a Toyota Verso and nowhere near as powerful although its a 2.2 compared to the 1.9 Passat

Rockdodger
    Free Member

I am on my second diesel Mondeo.The 1st one had 130,000 miles on and was a great car and you could carry a lot of stuff including a junior football team.Parents were usually to busy to take them to matches.
    I now have an 04 which is just as good but has more extras and i dont do the football anymore,thankfully.
    Mondeo = Reliability = Workhorse.

StuF

+1 for the Mondeo, I'm on my second hatch and its good + not too many problems

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

My Ex-police Volvo V70 was 4k. Dealer price for same car with smae miles was 10-12k. Bargaintastic.

Try the Ex police car centre in Brierly Hill in the West Midlands.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

bloody hell those MG-ZT's are a shit load of car for the price, checkout autotrader! im even tempted at that price!

erny
    Free Member

I've got a 55 plate vectra estate sri petrol and it been great for me,don't do that many miles so not bothered about a diesel,it's huge great for ferrying round biking and camping gear,might be for sale soon

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

MPG from the MG-ZT is worse than my volvo V70. My riding buddy has the 2.5 V6 190bhp and it does 23-25mpg average and i get 28ish out my 2.3 T5 250bhp volvo.

st

What about a Skoda Octavia. Get a VRS one and C can see off most of the Milford massive.

Bregante

not the most inspiring car but you get Loads of space in a Vectra for the money!. Diesels are awful though so try a petrol

foureyes
    Free Member

tdci mondeo here and its great to drive if a little noisy compared to german stuff. ive never had a ford which didn't leak in heavy rain though…

hora
    Free Member

Subaru Forester here. If I had to chose again it would be a Passat. Or if I didnt do big mileage- Berlingo or Partner. The Berlingo would be loud/noisy at motorway speeds?

Impreza estate WRX +1. You'd probably fill up 5times extra in a year but you would be bloody smiling.

Octavia/Passat/Mondeo- before you buy the car in question phone your council taxi licensing office and give them the reg. You'll come across cars that 'havent done much mileage in the past 2yrs' (i.e. average mileage suddenly drops- then you know its a clocking candidate).

Harry_the_Spider

I've got a Vectra 2.0 TDi.

It does the job. Comfy, fuel efficient, bags of room etc etc

Never going to pull Cameron Diaz with it, but she doesn't live round here anyway.

hora
    Free Member

Harry, thats one car that goes under the radar. How long have you had it/any probs etc?

Harry_the_Spider

2 years. Just the usual wear and tear.

Alternator went on 50,000 miles. Anti roll bar bushes are worn.

racing_ralph
    Free Member
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘£4k max- Best estate car ?’ is closed to new replies.