Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 4k – cube Ams 100 hpc sl OR Scott Spark 10 2012
  • mrhoops
    Free Member

Ideally I wanted the Ams hpc sl 2011 but struggling to find one. My insurance company will send me a 2012 spark 10 with a few carbon tweaks (bar, post) but not a fan of the silver;( plus never ridden SRAM.

I need some input please, I was previously riding a Giant Nrs air, full xtr with 1×10 and a fox r32 fork.

That’s all I’ve ever really rode. Till sone swine lifted it in France thus summer;(

Anyway. £3850 cash from the insurance or a spark 10.

I’m new to single track and looks like there’s some real good opinions on here, so thanks in advance if you have one for me.

Cheers

Matt

rickon
    Free Member

SRAM X0 is brilliant, I wouldn’t run anything else on my race bike – but others do prefer XTR.

The downside to the 2012 Spark is the QR front and bolt thru rear, ir’s a bit odd to me, and I’m not convinced about the DT Swiss shock – it’s not as good as a RP23.

That said, I love my Spark, and when I have the chance will be testing a 2012 Spark – are they available to buy yet – and if so, can you get a test ride?

The price quoted is very good actually quite good, I’m guessing this is through Wheelies direct?

Regarding the colour – can they not get a black one in?

Probably the most important question is – what are you going to be using the bike for?

mrhoops
    Free Member

Inded it is through wheelies! well guessed Rickon. I dont think they are availble yet.

Im kinda swung on XO / XX now, the 2012 has a mix. Ive read mixed reviews about the rear shock too, a fox would have been my pref. I just cant seem to get it all for the price or replacement offer as i had before.

Im also just considering the zesty 914 – thats full xo ( so sacraficing the xx on the spak 10)

and no they wont build it in black, which is a damn shame!!

As for use, im purely recretional – 1 day a month on xc trail, 2 if im lucky. otherwise, local cycle track the odd muddy decline through the woods but no epic journeys anymore. in fact it willalso be pulling my 3 yr old in his croozer 1!

I think im going for the spark though, its more bike after all

rickon
    Free Member

If that was the case for me, I’d take the cash and ask for a deal on a bike with a lower spec – XT ideally. Then I’d spend the extra spare £2k on something nice for the kids, or house etc.

Or even buy a bike from the classifieds on here for a couple of grand at a very high spec, that is barely used.

If I were going to spend £4k on a bike, I would want to be using it 3-4 times a week.

One small concern is that you’re looking at the Spark, which is really an XC/Endurance race bike and the Zesty – which is a trail bike. They’re very different in purpose, and if you’re not riding anything particularly steep of technical the Zesty would feel a bit wasted.

Do think about it though, when I had my bikes stolen I took the cash and built from here and used the extra cash to pay off some debts.

I run XT and X0 gearing on different bikes, and I dont ever think – I wish I had X0 on this bike.

Just one quick note – is that settlement what Wheelies told you, or your insurance company? Wheelies quoted me a much lower amount than my insurance company did – get in touch direct with your insurance company, and you may find they’ll give you the full £4k in cash.

Cheers dude,

Ricks

s4rpf
    Free Member

Agreed if you only use your bike that much get a cheaper bike and go on holiday.

bit of a crime having such beautiful bike locked away and not used.

Also if your just doing local XC stuff have you not thought about getting a hard tail?

mrhoops
    Free Member

Some good points Rick, i will use it 3/4 times a week, just not always off road. And youre right about the zesty, its not appropriate, im now thinking X Flow 712 – thats xt shifters, xtr rear mech and a mix of other shimano. plus the pedbob sounds interesting.

also just spoke to the giant rep who put a good argument forward for the Giant Anthem X Advanced 1 2012.

Im toying with the cash option & getting a 2k bike – ill soon blow the rest though mate, or rather the wife will on this kitchen we’re currently fitting! 🙂

Oh and @s4rpr – i have a hard tail – an old giant Terrago cobbled together with all sorts extras – i think the frames the only orig thing left on it:) still love it though!

so new short list….

Lapiere x flow 712
    Giant Anthem x Advance 1 (£3499)

Any reccos for an awesome 2k bike? the cubes sem decent for that price.

Thanks for the input anyway guys… its all good stuff!!

Matt

s4rpf
    Free Member
    martymac

i recently got a cube ams 130 pro, fitted with RS revs, xt/slx/deore, hayes brakes, rp23 shock.
    im pretty happy with it, its as light as my (considerably cheaper) hardtail, and it cost £1799.
    most of the cubes do seem to be very good value for money.

JB
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2011 AMS SL… had the same choice and eventually went for the Cube mainly because the Spec for the money is incredible, its lighter than the Scott but perhaps not as pretty.

Would I recommend it… oh yes, its an awesome machine, Its had a fair amount of abuse this year including racing the Craft Transalps in July and carried me to 16th place at kielder the other weekend.

Cheers
    JB

mrhoops
    Free Member

The Canyon looks good @s4rpf – Not really heard of them!? another one to research.

I was looking at the cube ams 130 pro in Liesure Lakes today, £1990 though – nice looking bike @martymac its not carbon is it? do you know how much it weighs at all?

@JB – Jealous, I cant find that bike anywhere, it sure is packed with decent kit. Well done on your race positioning, been at it long?? The 2012 ams 100 sl has switched out xtr for xo i believe and is £400 cheaper, so thats a serious option – and i reckon the cube looks awesome especially against the spark 10.

ive spoken to a few bike shop staff who agree Cube have exploded these past 12 months but some suggest the frames arent the best available??

Any Lapier x-flow riders out there??

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘4k – cube Ams 100 hpc sl OR Scott Spark 10 2012’ is closed to new replies.