Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • 456 Summer Season – Setup Questions
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I'm on the verge of getting a 456 SS as I've got some parts on a jumpy style frame that I want to transfer over and have something thats a bit more suited to a few hours ride but perfect for 30 minutes razzing around in the woods if I wanted to.

So…

– I've got a set of 110mm MX Pros that I'd want to fit – would these be long enough? My understanding was that the SS was originally designed around a shorter fork but people seem to be running Pikes on them and the blurb on the On-One website suggests its for longer (5"+) forks?

– anyone run theirs singlespeed? It'll be getting done on the cheap so gears will probably come but not until the summer. Was going to run it with a tensioner and a half-link BMX chain with a 32/18 setup with e-13 bash etc.

– not sure what size to go for? My last hardtail was a medium Soul which was perfect for me so I'm guessing I'd be sitting right in the middle of the 16" and 18" SS sizes? I did have an 18" Inbred once which was lovely but I wouldn't have wanted it to be any bigger – would it be best to drop down to a 16" and have a load of post showing for XC rides?

Think thats about it for now…
    Ta!
    Dave

Olly
    Free Member

MX pros would be great.

not too short at all i reckon (run my Z150s at 85mm when climbing, and its feels vaguely normal, unlike with the fork at 150

i was going to single speed it, but having put the fork on, and the wheels (sun mammoth fattys) and then picked it up, i decided gears were a must.
    its VERY heavy (mine is i mean)

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I ran mine with Pikes but it was better (IMO) with 130mm revelations. it was a 20" and I'm 6ft 1" but have long legs. My mate (taller by 3") can't reach the pedals on my bikes. I'd stick with an 18" frame if I were you.

Mine was set up with mavic 729 rims for bombproofability, Ghetto'd too

it was great fun.

Also, its a 456 so OK Ffor 4", 5" OR 6" forks.

poppa
    Free Member

All 456 should be fine with 4, 5 or 6" forks. The impression I got was that the SS was designed so that you could still get a slack head angle with a short fork. I woudl think that 110 should be fine. How old was your Inbred? Assuming the geometry hasn't changed too much, it would probably be your best guide for size.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Yeah poppa is right the whole design of the ss (from what I understand) was to allow you to ride with a slack head angle without having to run a massive fork. Therefore 110 (or even 100) will still give you a nice chuckable fun bike.

How tall are you? If it's for chucking around/jumping I'd be tempted to go down a size, but obviously that's up to you and perhaps what kit (stem and post) you have lying around as there isn't a huge difference in TT length and they tend to be very low standover anyway, in fact so I imagine an 18" would still be quite chuckable if you are 5'10" or over…

poppa
    Free Member

FWIW I am a long legged 5'10.5" (33" inside leg, measured the 'correct' way) and I wouldn't want to go smaller than 18" on my 456. I have a 350mm seatpost at max extension and it still feels a tiny bit low compared to my road bike. I find that OK though, because you need to be able to 'hover' a bit on a HT. For me, a 16" would be useless for any XC duties (but probably lots of fun for 'razzing', whatever that may be).

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I am about 5'10" (I think!). I do like smaller frames though so maybe a 16" would be better.

Cheers for all the replies!

woody2000

DBW – you're never 5'10", 5'8" tops! 😀

16" all the way

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Haha 😀

If you're anything less than 5'10" or even 5'10" and like smaller frames/want to razz around, then I'd definitely go for the 16" – especially coming from a 'jumpy' frame.

poppa
    Free Member

Does this mean I am officially 'jey' then?

takisawa2

Hi Dave, my SS is still up for sale.
    Its on Ebay with few bids so just a heads up really, as you sounded keen.
    Drop us an email if still interested.
    PT

br
    Free Member

My pal has recently put a pair of On One carbon forks on his, they are 100mm corrected – he's happy with it.

snowslave

Hi Dave, mine is 18. I'd say you should defo go for a 16. I run the old pikes, you could try it with them wound in if you want to try before you buy?

ando227
    Free Member

I am just shy of 6 foot and 32" leg and i rode a 16" inbred with an 70mm stem. Now have 456 ti and went for the 18" with a shorter riser stem, still have enough standover. Fork wise like it says on the frame 4,5 or 6.

hora
    Free Member

ando227 how did you find the 16"? I had a spin on one and found it spot on (Im 6ft/32inch leg)

ando227
    Free Member

I loved it,there was bags of standover and the frame is not much shorter than the 18". I found it spot on for "razzing round" the trails.
    You will need a long post 400mm for climbing and for fast xc and on road you might want a longish stem to stretch out a bit more. I went for the 18" 456 ti as its gonna be my only bike now (deal with wife) so made sure it was large enough for all situations (road, xc, trails,etc)

By the way the steel inbred has a more compliant rear end than the ti 456 with the new brake brace. (the only dissapointment of the 456)

Jase_MK
    Free Member

100mm MX Comps here, they work really well even when you're being a bit of a hooligan on steep stuff. I'm 5'11" and wouldn't want anything smaller than my 18" (with a shortish stem) as I have quite a lot of post out.

hora
    Free Member

ando227 Ive gone for a 'that blue' secondhand 16" frame so dont think it has the new brake brace that you mention?

I've got a second, posh bike though which appalled me to see all the snow melting/road crap on it from this weeks use sat all over its many pivots.. 🙁

woody2000

Blimey Jase, have you 'shopped that? That's very orange! 😀

Jase_MK
    Free Member

No 'shopping, I would even say that the picture doesn't do the brightness justice 😛

snowslave

that colour's ace

ando227
    Free Member

It's not as awesome as the yorkshire rose it wears with pride!

snowslave

That's the bit that needs colouring in red?

B@rney
    Free Member

Ive almost finished my build. Almost identical to what your going with Dave. Got some 150mm All Mountains up front.
    I'm going to run it singlespeed also with 18/32 gearing, using the Fire Eye singlespeed setup with a Gussett tensioner. Oh and yeah go for 16 plenty of scope to adapt riding as and when.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Right then, 16" it is.

PT – be in touch later re yours.

Jase – missus is always telling me not to overexaggerate my measurements 😉

poppa – yes, it sounds like you are indeed, jey 😉

ando227
    Free Member

snowslave, you lot over those hills need you're own bike company

Chipbutty
    Free Member

18" here and im 6ft with a 32 leg. Fox Van 130mm on it and it handles great.

grumm
    Free Member

I'm 5'7.5 ish – went for a 14" for jumpyness and so my gf could ride it too. It's just about big enough for me to get a good pedalling height with a 400mm post as far out as it will go.

Not given it a proper trial yet but on some messing about it seems really nice – with Pikes wound down to about 100mm.

snowslave

ando227 – why have a dog and bark? 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Question on the Summmer Season (I had one – cracked it under warranty).

I found it awfully wandery with longer forks and even with shorter forks it wasnt good to climb on (and we are talking me who climbs at a snails pace).

Why do you guys like it soo much?!!

mollski
    Free Member

buy my new single speed

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Excellent – frame incoming from takisawa2. Build (at the moment) is going to be:
    456 SS in 16" and raw (really like the look of the raw ones)
    FSA Pig headset
    Race Face Diablous bar & stem (going to look to change these for a lighter and slightly longer setup)
    Truvativ Hussefelt cranks, 32t ring and E-13 bash
    Hope BULBs on Alex DM24s with Maxxis Minions (going to look to change the wheels for something more all-mountain)
    Marzocchi 110mm MX Pros (on the lookout for some RC41 Fighters for my Blur 4X so this may eventually get a set of All Mountain 1 SLs)
    Tioga post and knackered DMR Elite seat (to be changed)
    24Seven Slack pedals (best flat pedals ever!)
    Hayes Stroker Trails with 160mm rotors – think I'll be trying to get at least a 180mm up front!)

Build pics next week sometime!
    Dave

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘456 Summer Season – Setup Questions’ is closed to new replies.