Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 456 or 456SS
  • bassspine
    Free Member

why would you choose one version or the other?

(been considering stripping my 06 enduro and using the parts on a hardtail while I sell the frame and save for a new stumpjumper fsr)

mboy
    Free Member

SS's are waaaaaaaaaaaaay slack.

If that's your thing, then great, go for one… But you could hardly call the standard 456 as overly steep in the first place.

bassspine
    Free Member

thanks MB

philsimm
    Free Member

Basspine, YGM

pricey_T

Having just totaled my rear mech this morning and had to shorten the chain SS my 456 the 3.5k back to the car i can happily state that i will never SS by choice.

takisawa2

No. Wrong SS mate, he means the special secret German War Police version of the 456.

poppa
    Free Member

I think the SS uses plain guage tubes instead of butted tubes, but you might want to check that. Slight weight penalty.

I haven't ridden both but the impression I get is, if you want a slack head angle with a short fork buy the SS. If you want a more 'normal' geometry get the standard version. I think a SS with a long fork is probably a bit much for most…

bigbloke
    Free Member

I have an SS with a 120mm fork, feels great.

saladdodger
    Free Member

If you want to try a 456 geared ( you cannot go wrong)against a simple drop me a line

I live just off J27

bassspine
    Free Member

Just for the record, I don't mean SS as singlespeed, it's short for summer season here….

I have a singlespeed already. And a beard.

from the sound of it, I'll be heading for the 456restoftheyear version

takisawa2

No. Wrong SS mate, he means the special secret German War Police version of the 456.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I would go 456 for all day stuff. Ss is great going down. I have fitted my 456 with one of the cromo forks and it corners like a house fly.! What a difference.

bassspine
    Free Member

takisawa is your needle stuck? :-)~

br
    Free Member

Not sure which 06 Enduro you've got, but mine came with a 150mm Fox 36 – works great on a normal 456 – but the SS really needs a shorter fork.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I have a 456SS as a singlespeed 69-er with a carbon fork from On-One and it's pure fun.

bunnerscj
    Free Member

tried them both with 130 forks, prefer the 456 for an all day'er !

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘456 or 456SS’ is closed to new replies.