Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 40tooth big ring
  • mrmo
    Free Member

I suspect that my middle and big rings are starting to die, as are the cassette and chain.

I am considering swapping the standard XT 44, 32, 22 to a dual configuration based on a 40tooth big ring. But what can i use for a inner ring? I see that TA do a 26 and a 28, is a 26 going to be to much of a jump for a front mech to handle? i think it would be ok just wondering if anyone had real world experience.

And what are the ring options, TA i know, who else.

And where is cheapest, bearing in mind i need a new XT cassette as well, so far it is looking like a german shop, Bike24 have some parts, Starbike have the all the bits, who else is worth a look?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

should be fine with a 14 tooth drop. changing might be a bit rough and its a far jump in rations but if 36 / 22 works why not 40 / 26?

mrmo
    Free Member

gut instinct says it will be ok, just wondering if anyone had tried that combo,

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    KINGTUT
    Free Member

I’ve used a 40T with a 26T and it’s fine, as it happens they are both TA and they will be for sale next week, as well as an XT cassette!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Middleburn do 40/27 which I have and it is sweet round the surrey hills/tunnel hill/swinley – always seem to be in the right gear and less of the redundant gearing feeling.

With 11-34 it covers most hills apart from something so steep that spinning would be ridiculous and you would probably want to stand to keep balance between the tyres for traction – and then you wouldn’t use those granny combos anyway.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘40tooth big ring’ is closed to new replies.