Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 4 day week?
  • Pieface

Some people are saying that working 40 hours in 4 days would be better than 40 in 5 – this would be good for workers morale and the environment.

However I’ve also heard in an unrelated story that it would achieve with the GDP figures in one fell swoop what the current deficit reduction programme is trying to achieve.

I’m all for compressed hours to get a longer weekend, but what other downfalls are there and why isn’t it taken more seriously (maybe we could have a referendum?).

I’m more than aware that it wouldn’t be entertained for political reasons as they used it in the 70s / 80s, however in Utah they see it as a way to reduce staff costs without losing their talented staff ready for an upturn.

ART

I recall an American example where they reduced all state workers to a 4 day week. Not compressed hours, reduced hours, in a bid to save money. The overall results were increased productivity, less time off for sickness/ ill health/ stress etc, and an overall increase in outputs. A 4 day week makes sense for lots of basic common sense reasons; unfortunately lots of organisations/ businesses don’t see it this way and aren’t prepared to take what they perceive as being a risk to trial it. Daft really.

aracer
    Free Member

Those of us who’ve worked part time will tell you that typically you get almost as much done in a (reduced hours) 4 day week as in a normal 5 day week. I couldn’t possibly comment on whether I was just a slacker when working full time.

phil.w
    Free Member

We do 41 hours in a 4.5 day week here.
    Friday morning is the least productive time.

When the company was taken over by the Americans the working week went up from 38 to 41 hours. On the whole productivity hasn’t changed.

Make of that what you will.

aracer
    Free Member

When the company was taken over by the Americans the working week went up from 38 to 41 hours. On the whole productivity hasn’t changed.

You mean the amount you get done in a week hasn’t changed, so productivity has reduced?

Stoner
    Free Member

As a freelancer I work anywhere between 5 and 70 hours a week over half a day to seven days a week. Any days. Sometimes Tuesday. Sometimes Sunday.

Id hate to be tied to the office Mon-Fri again.

I can get to the shops when they’re quieter.

I can ride my bike when the hills are quieter.

Jamming all economic acitivty into the same 40 hours out of the 168 available in any given time zone is silly.

phil.w
    Free Member

Yep, that’s what I mean. 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I work a kind of 4 day week on a flexi system so that I get Fridays off. Generally it means I work roughly 44 hours in 4 days.

Its hard, by the end of the day your knackered (I do alot of VDU work). Am I more productive? Yes when I have some thing I need to get done by a deadline. When its quiter, I think its easier for your mind to wander as its a long day to be in work…

footflaps

I worked a 4 day week for a year or so and ended up doing 5 days work in 4 days. IMHO a person has a natural productivity limit and once you’ve used that up it makes no difference how many extra hours you work. So I think going from 5 to 4 days would make not a lot of difference to productivity (well personally it probably wouldn’t, I’d just spend less time on here..).

aracer
    Free Member

So I think going from 5 to 4 days would make not a lot of difference to productivity

You’re also misusing “productivity” – if you’re working less hours for the same output, your productivity has increased.

vinnyeh

imo, one of the biggest boosts to office productivity would be to turn off non work related internet access. 🙂

I think the 4 day week works best in manufacturing, on the floor, or a retail environment (where productivity is largely constrained by the customer).
    For most other workplaces there’s a need for Mon- Fri cover, resulting in staff scheduling problems, the impact of increased break provision on the working day length, and breakdown of staff interdependency relationships, not to mention the impact on families.

phil.w
    Free Member

one of the biggest boosts to office productivity would be to turn off non work related internet access

I find 5 mins on here every couple of hours means I concentrate more the rest of the time.

If i don’t I just slow down as my mind starts to wonder. Just have to make sure it is only 5min every now and then. 🙂

rocketman
    Free Member

Have been on a 4-day week since 2007 😀

My commute is 25 miles and Friday we did FA and finished at 4 anyway. A quick word with the MD and now I get that Friday feeling on a Thursday.

Like today! 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

monkfish
    Free Member

We do 41 hours in a 4.5 day week here.
    Friday morning is the least productive time.

Agreed,we do the same albeit on 36 hours and on a Friday by the time i’ve had a coffee, browsed the internet and shuffled a few papers its time to go home.

bonjour le weekend

monkeyp

I managed to negotiate a 4 day week when I moved jobs and it’s great. Compressed hours, so early starts, but a 3 day weekend and more time with the children. I have Fridays off and my wife managed to get Thursdays off, both with no loss in salary.

I guess we are both lucky, but the expectation is that we support where necessary outside of these hours which can be difficult.

If I had to work it would be a half day on Friday so the productivity is a bit pants anyway and it means one less 50 mile commute and 2 fewer days of paid nursary for 2 children, so a big financial benefit too.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’m all for compressed hours to get a longer weekend, but what other downfalls are there and why isn’t it taken more seriously (maybe we could have a referendum?).

Unless it was tongue in cheek, I’m a bit puzzled as to how would a referendum work? Are you advocating that the state would make it compulsory to work 4 days for 10 hours?

RealMan
    Free Member

cheburashka
    Free Member

Worked 35-hour 4-day week since 2005, can’t knock it, wonderful.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘4 day week?’ is closed to new replies.