Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • 37 Days (WWI) BBC2
  • derekfish
    Free Member

Anyone else into it?

A bit worrying seeing Darth Sidius was the Foreign Secretary immediately prior to WW1.

Not surprising the Sith had a hand in Global conflict..

hora
    Free Member

Interesting story- the German General who could have stopped it all told a hesistant Kaiser that it was too late/cant turn back now as he had all his troops ready. That Generals son (or Nephew?) was shot by Hitler in WWII. Cant remember the names off the top of my head if anyone knows them?? The General died a year after the start due to ill health/nerves.

derekfish
    Free Member

Moltke? Have we got that far yet? I might have dozed off toward the end last night, but I thought he was still on vacation, tonight the fireworks start..

johndoh
    Free Member

is it worth watching? I have it recorded.

derekfish
    Free Member

Yes, it’s enthralling.

hora
    Free Member

Ah yes Moltke the younger

Here is Moltke shot for treason against Hitler:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmuth_James_Graf_von_Moltke

johndoh
    Free Member

Good – I shall look forward to catching up on Sunday night.

derekfish
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Ah yes Moltke the younger

Here is Moltke shot for treason against Hitler:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmuth_James_Graf_von_Moltke

Well well now, that’s another good example of karma, father effectively kicks off events that will lead to the death of his son, a pity tens of millions also had to suffer over two world wars.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yes I watched it, thought it was very good indeed. I too wondered when the line “The Dark Side” would come out, thankfully it didn’t. 😆

Trimix
    Free Member

Also amazing how they are all related. The Russian, Austrian and German Ambasadors were cousins. The Kaiser was Victorias grandson, I think.

The other interesting thing is how only so few actually had a clue of what was / is happening.

Contrast that to todays Ukraine and wall to wall coverage of live events.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

3 leaders were cousins, 3 ambassadors were cousins. One hell of a family spat.

derekfish
    Free Member

Exactly that, it was a family spat which cost the lives of millions, yet we still endure a ‘Royal’ Family

derekfish
    Free Member

2nd part, BBC2, now.

Pook

Very good telly.

tang
    Free Member

Brilliant TV. Darth is great in the role.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up will add that to download list

kimbers

just watched it on iplayer, very good +1 for darth sidious and **** the royalty !!

derekfish
    Free Member

Very good, totally different insight into something I thought I already knew about.

caffeineoldbean
    Free Member

If any one is interested and likes a good podcast.Dan Carlin Hardcore History has just started a series on ww1 titled Blueprint for Armageddon.2 episodes up and 3hrs long each.He usually does 3 or 4 episodes in this kind of series.
    Fantastic podcast for any history geek.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

That sounds good, as a complete ignoramus how do i find such a podcast?

caffeineoldbean
    Free Member

Here you go muddydwarf hope you give it a listen and enjoy.No need for a podcast from here http://www.dancarlin.com//disp.php/hharchive

Harry_the_Spider

Watched episodes 1 & 2 on the iplayer as a result of this thread.

The programme is excellent. Just need to pack the kids off for an hour so I can watch the last one.

gobuchul
    Free Member

caffineoldbean – Great link thanks.

johndoh
    Free Member

Wow, just watched the first two back to back last night (don’t think I have sat through 2 hours of TV in a long time).

Fascinating and agrees with above, Ian McDiarmid is great – he has the balance between humility and being a peace-maker juxtaposed with being the person responsible for enforcing the British Empire’s power over world order – the scenes where he is outlining the stance on involvement with France etc was superbly underplayed.

Amazing.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘37 Days (WWI) BBC2’ is closed to new replies.