• This topic has 15 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 3/4 baggies worth a place in the wardrobe?
  • FOG

The recent drop in temperature drop has had me assessing what autumn/ winter gear I have got. I have some bib knickers which I tend to wear on the road bike but don’t find them very comfy under baggies unlike ,it would seem , most people on here. So is it worth buying any 3/4 baggies to keep the knees warm for a while until going into full winter longs mode?

deadkenny
    Free Member

If off road, I don’t do full long stuff, except maybe it’s it’s really sub zero, snow on the ground and maybe will stick a thermal layer under baggies (not tights. I don’t do tights). Otherwise it’s regular knee-ish length shorts. They’re just over the knee.

Knee warmth – knee pads 😀

I don’t really feel much cold in the lower legs anyway so doesn’t bother me what, except long stuff just gets caught in things and means having to shove them in the wash before next ride, whereas baggies get less of the mud on them so might be okay.

jamj1974

I wear bib 3/4 under waterproof baggy 3/4 and find it works well. Did some riding a couple of years back down to -10 degrees and it was still perfectly warm enough.

jonba
    Free Member

I wear 3/4 bibs under normal baggies. I own 3/4 baggies and find them a bit of a pain in the wet as they just feel heavy and rub. Also with them being baggy the extra few inches of material does little for warmth.

Knee warmers? Although withough lycra shorts they will probably fall down.

dunmail
    Free Member

Why would knee warmers fall down? You put them under the leg of the shorts so that the hem of the shorts holds them.

gren
    Free Member

I wear 3/4 bibs under normal baggies when it gets chilly (below 5ish) although I have just taken delivery today of a set of 3/4 MT500 sprays so my arse keeps a bit drier. If it keeps raining they’ll be trail tested on Sunday

jambalaya
    Free Member

I wear MT500 3/4’s from now until it warms up, worn over longer roadie lycra shorts and sealskinz socks. This set up works very well at this time of year. Quite a lot warmer and drier than normal length shorts and the MT500 keeps me a bit drier.

johnnystorm

Gore Alp softshell shorts are great.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I think they’re ace. I basically wear 3/4 year round. Good when there’s frost on the ground.

fathomer

Anyone use the MT500 3/4’s with knee pads? I quite fancy a pair but they look a little narrow legged.

lunge

Tried them and they didn’t work for me. It maybe because I have long legs but I always felt they were no warmer than normal shorts as the cold could still get at my knees and the extra length just annoyed/chafed my knees.

My solution is the one that doesn’t work for you, 3/4 tights under normal baggies (actually, no baggies normally but I won’t push you too far…). You could try knee warmers I suppose, that could work.

gren
    Free Member

Anyone use the MT500 3/4’s with knee pads? I quite fancy a pair but they look a little narrow legged.

Just tried my new ones on with some Kyle Straits and they wouldn’t fit.

I have an athletic/MTB build which Endura calls a large so the MT500s come around half way down my calves. Even with the velcro on full width the pads wouldn’t really fit under and I’d not want to pedal with them on.

If I was wearing pads I’d just settle for normal baggies. The pads will keep your knees toasty anyway.

iainc

Humvee 3/4 baggies work for me from September till around now on night rides. Once it dips below about 8 deg though I’ll be into DHB Roubaix longs with singletrack shorts on top.

bigblackshed

Knee warmers for me.

I wear padded shorts for almost all rides with a pair of baggies over the top. I tried bibs but the faff with stripping everything off for a pee was too much faff.

The knee warmers stop up well, Endura thermolite, with the sticky silicone strip at the top. But it could be because I’ve got guns like Hoy. 😉

Suggsey
    Free Member

I bought some cheap Crane Aldi three quarter pants, the pads on the large nappy feeling size but under my Altura Attack 3/4 waterproofs they’re great for keeping creaky old knees warm and even help ease any knee pad chafe. They also stop the full length Attacks from sticking to sweaty knees on XC filthy local rides in winter wet weather.

TiRed

bib 3/4 under some 3/4 baggies works for me. I also wear long merino socks if it’s really cold. I don’t tend to wear full length winter bibs off road, as I fall off and don’t fancy the damage.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘3/4 baggies worth a place in the wardrobe?’ is closed to new replies.