Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 32 or 64 bit pc?
  • Gooner
    Free Member

i have had an old laptop upgraded as a spare so how do i tell which it is?
    Its an old an acer travelmate 8100 which i want to upgrade from XP pro to Windows 7

pedalhead
    Free Member

My Computer —>right click—->properties

Gooner
    Free Member

that doesn’t tell me 32 or 64bit just system, who its registered to, RAM etc

jonk

download cpuid and run it, it will tell you if you have a 64bit compatible cpu

DezB
    Free Member

Its the operating system that’s 32or 64 bit not the computer.
    Basically if you have over 4gb of RAM, 32bit can’t use it all, so install 64bit. There’s probably more reasons but thats as far as my knowledge goes

chvck
    Free Member

Its the operating system that’s 32or 64 bit not the computer.
    Basically if you have over 4gb of RAM, 32bit can’t use it all, so install 64bit. There’s probably more reasons but thats as far as my knowledge goes

Errr, no, it’s the computer. 64 bit windows won’t run on a 32 bit system.

Drac

It’s both in a sense.

You need a 64bit chip to run windows 64 but you’ll only gain advantage with 4gb+ RAM that said mine didn’t like running the full GFX Card memory in 32bit mode.

1. Open Performance Information and Tools by clicking the Start buttonWindows, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type Performance Information and Tools, and then, in the list of results, click Performance Information and Tools.

2. Click View and print detailed performance and system information.

pedalhead
    Free Member

that doesn’t tell me 32 or 64bit just system, who its registered to, RAM etc

Oh, it does on Win7.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

That model can only support a max of 2Gb so I’d stick with 32bit even if the CPU is a 64 bit one.

See Here

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘32 or 64 bit pc?’ is closed to new replies.