• This topic has 19 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • £300 compact camera – take it everywhere you go! Some examples
  • Ti29er
    Free Member

Keep taking pictures.
    Panasonic LX3

dooge
    Free Member

Sony WX1. Bit more zoom than the LX3 and performs surprisingly well at ISO 1600! Dynamic range optimizer, a very good sharp F2.4 24mm lens, ISO up to 3200, good panoramic stitch mode and very quick.

Both taken straight from the camera, no modifying. Its done a pretty good job considering the conditions!

Warrenpfo
    Free Member

Canaon S90 a Fantastic camera and good in low light as F2 but not as much zoom as the LX3

Drac

Canon Ixus IS

So many features with it but the pics are just amazing.

Kuco

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Been swaying between the S90 and LX3 for a while… can't decide which way to go! I keep looking for something that I can take out and about when the brace of Canon DSLRs is just too much!

I shall watch this thread with interest… and keep an eye on alternatives.

Bez

Wouldn't be without my Ricoh GR Digital II.

And recently added to the collection, but only £150, the Fuji F70/72EXR – a very different camera with very different strengths.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

The F70 has caught my attention – I like the idea of the sensor working to increase dynamic range through pixel binning… just worry that I would get frustrated by the files (dammit I want RAW!)

Bez

Raw would be a big win on the Fujis, but the format would be like no other and it would have to be processed in a very different way. But you could do so much with it… Anyway, it does a superb job in low light, the one main area where the Ricoh falls short. And yes, although it's not something that bothers me, the DR is very good – no problems pointing it straight at the sun.

dooge
    Free Member

From my experience of playing around with the LX3 instore when we had it, it didnt seem to cope well in low light whatsoever, whereas the Canon S90 is pretty good. I prefer the workings and picture quality of the LX3, but realistically noise is much harder to get rid of than a bit of sharpening or boosting saturation.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Hmmm… interesting… 😉

Cheers

Ti29er
    Free Member

LX3 has a f2.0 lens at 24mm. Zoomed out, it's f2.8.
    Can you better it's ability at 24mm, to focus down to 0.1m?
    I like the 16:9 panoramic setting too.
    5×7 crop
    This is taken from the Fine Jpeg image – not the RAW – 5.75 wide.
    The original is a 15×10 inch image.
    f3.2 at 1/5ooth. 100 ISO.

wheelz
    Free Member

Canon G9 – Paid £230 for it just before the G10 was released.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Funny enough… I can get close.

18cm focussing at 24mm and f1.8, and at 21 MP just to make sure 😉

But I can't be arsed lugging that lot around all the time!

Bez

Can you better it's ability at 24mm, to focus down to 0.1m?

Ricohs will go to 0.01m. With the 0.8x converter on the front I can press (backlit) things against the glass and it'll focus on them.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Just seen the Casio EX-FH100… interesting… Not a fast lens, but it has some very interesting features, and RAW output (DNG file format). Hmmmmm… Casio tend to be well priced too, I may just hold the credit card for a bit (it also has a 24-240mm lens….)

Bez

Hm. That Casio does look rather interesting on paper, doesn't it…

Ti29er
    Free Member

0.01 – what's the minimum aperture?
    The Lumix is f8 across the zoom.
    Problem being, if you go very macro you need f8+++ to make it obvious what the object is I'd have thought!
    For really close objects I switch to manual focus.
    I like the Canon but it's too large.
    I have the Lumix tucked into my Montane cycle jacket pocket. Small.
    The perfect ride companion?

Drac

Canon Ixus 200 IS

Didn't do the full name before seems ok in low light.

Bez

Minimum aperture is f/7.1 (f/9 on the MkIII) before the ND filter takes over. But it's a small sensor, which is ideal for macro – there's shedloads more DOF for any given aperture than with an APS-C or with 35mm film.

This was shot at f/2.4…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘£300 compact camera – take it everywhere you go! Some examples’ is closed to new replies.