Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 2×9 setup, advice needed
  • rab5474
    Free Member

Good afternoon to all. I need to replace my inner and middle rings on my slx triple, so i am thinking of going 2×9 with a bash and stinger double chain device. I am looking for advice on which rings to go for in which sizes and where i can get them cheep, and any other mounting hardware i may need.
    Thanks in advance

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I go 22, 36 as it works well for me, lets me climb easy and pedal hard. About the biggest gap you can do I think.

However all depends where you live and ride, I used to do a few trail centres on a single 36. so could have gone 24/26 and 38/40 probably.

as for mounting if you have no ICSG tabs then its a bb mounted Stinger (replaces one of the BB Spacers) and a bash gaurd which will come (should do) with the longer bolts etc.

Only thing to work out is the angle of dangle for the stinger.

As for cheap go to your LBS an see what they can do for a job lot

rab5474
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply, i was thinking of blackspire super inner and middle rings will these fit the slx cranks

lesoxdh
    Free Member

i am running 22/23 and 11/28 on the rear. i have no problem off road. miss the larger ring on the road. but all is good. plus check superstar for the chain device, £5 cheaper then the blackspire.

Mackem

with 2 x9 and a bash, do you really need a chain-guide?

bonj
    Free Member

22/32 is what i use, you don’t need a 36 unless you’re going to be on road a lot.

mintimperial

Be careful with 36/22. I tried this with non-double specific Shimano rings and got horrendous chainsuck. The chain overlapped the pick-up peg thingys on the outer ring in all but the lowest two gears. As a result the chain got dragged up between the rings and chainstay causing some fairly grim damage. I switched to a 26T inner and it works ok now.

The 36T SLX double-specific chainring is designed for use with a 22T inner, it’s deeper and the shifting pegs are different to avoid this problem. Presumably if you got one of those you could run 36/22 without issue. Blackspire rings might be ok, too, I don’t know.

Innes
    Free Member

I put on 26/36 recently and it is working really well, they are SLX both of them.

I don’t really need a inner much, so thought the 26 would be better after some of the comments on here about 22/36 chainsuck.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

They put 2×10 on my new Slash, 38/24, I don’t like it, I want to go back to a triple. Quite a big jump I suppose.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘2×9 setup, advice needed’ is closed to new replies.