Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 2×10 – I'm staring to wonder
  • speaker2animals

I suppose like many others I got caught up in the Emperor’s New Clothes idea of 2×10. However I have noticed on the forums quite a lot of talk of chains dropping (well seems a topic of conversation now which I didn’t notice with 3x whatever) and now I see that MRP are launching a 2×10 chain guide?

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/mrp-2x-first-look-31227

I now I have a rigid SS but don’t consider myself a retro grouch but really is this right? Shouldn’t the rear mech be designed to create enough tension to keep the chain on? Or the design of the chainrings, or both? Is there just too much chain flapping about? Would the tension needed in the mech be too high to effectively change gear? Are the shift gates now being used on chain rings “too” much and allowing slippage?

All I know is, that if I was in a position to fit a bike out with 2×10, especially at the XT/XTR/XO/XX end, I’d be pretty upset if I then had to resort to an extra bit of kit to keep me chain on.

dreednya

Dropped mine today on the final descent of the red trail at Brechfa – combined with a time pedal that kept detaching from the axle, clipping back in again on one of the steeper bits was a right mare………

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I’ve had 2 x 10 with Sram XX and now got 3 x 10 with XTR, and neither had chain wandering issues.

MRP might have started an interweb rumour when they developed the new chain device.

honourablegeorge

Chain guides are hardly a new thing. If you didn’t need one before, you probably don’t need one now. But for those of us that do use them, they’re great.

clubber
    Free Member

Mine doesn’t drop but then I have a proper double specific front mech and the right length chain. I found it dropped a lot while I used a triple front mech.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

i started racing with a 2×9 this year and really liked it, perfect gearing and range for everything but massive chainsuck and chain droppage……..ended going back to 3×9 and never using the granny 😥

treaclesponge
    Free Member

2×10 XX here and never, ever dropped the chain. Got it nice and short so it just fits big to big should I ever find myself in that situation.

redted
    Free Member

Full XT 2 x 10 set up here and no dropping issues. It was a lazy (but achievable) shift before I got the dedicated front mech but other than that no issues.I do find it noisier than 9 speed though, especially on the 3 biggest rings at the back, especially in the mud.

kimbers

been running 2×9 for years on my bikes with a regular front mech
    never had a problem with dropping the chain
    ran a dmr dual ring lower roller guide thing for a while took it off in the end and still dont drop the chain

getting chain length right is the key ime

Ran 2 x 9 with bash & Blackspire Stinger CD on an ’06 Enduro and convinced myself it was the way forward.

Didn’t really have the range I wanted towards the high end and the jump between the front two rings meant dropping the chain on a regular basis.

Went back to 3 x 9 on my S-Works and it’s great, all the range I want and on the odd occassion the chain bounces off on a rough descent, it usually just pedals back on.

njee20
    Free Member

Never dropped the chain on 2×10, with xx or XTR.

Pauly

Never dropped a chain when I was 2×9, and neither now I’m 2×10.

speaker2animals

Good stuff. It was just I noticed a few threads around where people were commenting on dropping chains, and then along comes the MRP guide and I just started to wonder. I know poeple have run 2x”X” and 1x”X” for a long time, it seemed to be the comments made were more about the new wave of system specific 2×10.

If it’s not an issue that’s fine.

soobalias
    Free Member

so is the chain dropping issue due to the larger sprockets on the cassette?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Has anyone tried 2×1 – a double (or even triple at the front) and a single at the back, with a chain tensioner in place of the rear deraileur?

Might be good in the winter…

perthmtb
    Free Member

I went 2×9 and the chain would regularly overshoot the small chainring on the way down. Changed to a ‘double specific’ large chainring and FD (M665) and it solved the problem. The ramps on the M665 chainring are different, and the FD cage smaller.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘2×10 – I'm staring to wonder’ is closed to new replies.