Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • 29ers…………………………………………………..!
  • toxicsoks
    Free Member

Some Jones riding fool, you know who you are, was preaching his "29ers are the poodles plums" shpiel at me the other day. Unfortuately this has caused my "Gottagetta" gland to start twitching………………….convince me otherwise………………or not! 🙂

TheSwede
    Free Member

How can so many attention whores be wrong. You wont regret it. Except maybe when your pumping up a flat.

Sam

Best course of action is to try one and see.

pstokes99
    Free Member

I'm in the same situation as you, m'lud.

Sort of really want one, but hate giving in to buying the latest thing. Chevin have got a selection of 29er demo bikes (Gary Fisher and Niner) some of which I expect to be trying soon.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Chevin? Oooh, far too close for comfort! 🙂

andylaightscat
    Free Member

borrow one for a week,I had a single test ride and thought it was ok but not enough to get me off 26",then borrowed one for a week,after 3,4 rides I got it and that's all I ride now
    PS.It's a Singular 😀

emac65
    Free Member

Had an Inbred 29er rigid & ss for 4 months now, I like it…
    For – They roll well,carry speed well/through mud very well,give loads of traction & make everything feel smoother…
    Against – Not as chuckable/flickable, a bit more effort is needed to get them up to speed & err, that's about it really…

rOcKeTdOg

They are just for niche-Mongers and aquariansU

And as for flickability and acceleration try a singular before dismissing that ability, the geometry has a LOT to do with the handling

ooOOoo
    Free Member

32ers are round the corner though…sure you want to commit?

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Probably ok if you are jey.
    However if you like your riding a bit gnarly/air/chucking about then 26".

emac65
    Free Member

And as for flickability and acceleration try a singular before dismissing that ability, the geometry has a LOT to do with the handling

Thanks for that,I forgot what a mtbing god you are 8)

RepacK
    Free Member

They have their place for sure – but work out what you want it for. Dont think of it as a replacement for your current bike, but as a different bike. It will do things your 26 will do but not quite as well, but it will do somethings better..For example they have a longer wheelbase so wont do mega techie singletrack quite as easilly. However, if you race xc they do have an advantage – most current championships (at least in the US) have been won on 29ers. Its worth remembering that the gearing is different as well – generally they have a higher gear but the lowest is somewhat higher than on a 26. Which is maybe why 29ers are popular with pro xc racers..

Heres something Shimano are doing:

shimano 29er gears

emac65
    Free Member

Oh yeah as above don't go 32:16 like I did 😳

andylaightscat
    Free Member

Repack,
    my Singular has a shorter wheelbase than the Hummer that doesnt get ridden anymore

RepacK
    Free Member

Really? Interesting..What was the WB on both?

fontmoss
    Free Member

ride one-likey buyey, no likey no buyey

brought to you by smart arse forum replies

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Thanks for that, fontmoss, but I wanted to hear what hive-mind thought in general. Have booked a demo ride BTW. *writes "fontmoss" in notebook – have to watch this one* 😉

MrTall
    Free Member

Bought a 29er hardtail last xmas and decided it was the future for me. Swapped my full susser for a 29er version in august as well.
    Absolutely love them both but have kept my 26" singlespeed so that i do have an option at least.
    Obviously being stupidly tall makes them better for me and i think they look wrong in 17" sizes and below but plenty of people seem to ride those sizes.
    If chevin is close enough then borrow one and see if you like it…..

fontmoss
    Free Member

😮

matt_outandabout

I had a Niner EMD – ace bike, fast, agile, comfy and super good at steep techy Peak's rocks. Loved it. ONly downside was *slightly* more effort to get up to speed – but once there it was great.

But I also tried a Kona 29er and was less enamoured.

Go try and ride one.

mick_r

I tried one of the new Giant 29ers and was really impressed.

Not at all slow in the steering department, laterally VERY stiff up front (tapered steerer/QR15 fork/big hydroformed tubes). Tried it back to back with my ss around Gisburn. Rolls very fast and could just be thrown down anything steep / rocky / rooty. Only things I didn't like were broom handle straight bars (ouch) and lack of side knobs on the front tyre. And the fact they don't bring a ss version of the frame into UK 🙁

Giant UK have some demo bikes – I asked nicely at my local dealer (Ride On) and they got it in within the week. Giant / the shop knew I wanted a ss so wouldn't be buying but they sorted it regardless (I did repay them in biscuits). Top people!

I'm sure Sam can also hook you up with a demo of a Singular.

singlespeedstu

Two niners are shite.

Everyone knows that.

It's different so it mus be wrong.

Anyone that says different is fortunate enough to have never ridden one….

andylaightscat
    Free Member

repack,
    wheelbase on the swift was 25mm or so shorter,swift with a longer top tube
    (it's a large) hummer with pikes at 120mm swift with it's rigid forks

TheSwede
    Free Member

In 3 years time when we're all trundling around on our 36ers, sss and wok boy will be on their plasma framed 52ers saying they are the future and we are all commoners on our little wheeled kiddies bikes and i must stop posting when im in the pub.

singlespeedstu

i must stop posting when im in the pub.

No don't do that.

We're all waiting for the next fanny basher thread. 😀

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Hi Lord Greenville – You talking about me?

Your definatly tall enough for a 29er and too tall for the tiny wheels you ride on, read this http://www.ninerbikes.com/fly.aspx?layout=bikes&technology=true&taxid=103

I'm planning on heading over to Chevins on Monday morning, are you about or working?

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Talking about you, John? You might think that but I couldn't possibly comment. 😉

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Monday morning?

epicyclo

29ers are going to ruin the cycle industry.

First you try a 29er, then after riding it for a while you try it rigid and like it, then you see all these guys riding them single speed and some of them are old farts, so it can't be that hard can it, so you go SS.

Next thing you go to your local bike shop for the first time in a year to get a new tube, but it has gone broke because they haven't sold you a new set of forks for a while, you haven't needed your annual derailleur and cables, or cassette, and as for buying a new bike, nah.

And that mysterious thing at the back of your shed with flat tyres and covered in spider webs is your lardy MBUK inspired dual suspension super sproinger.

Yup, 29ers are shite 🙂

Blame Sam.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

While there's Charlie the Bike Monger we won't worry.

bonesetter
    Free Member

MrTall – Member

…..i think they look wrong in 17" sizes …..

Hey Steve – you sayin' my 17" Paradox looks wrong 😕

MrNutt
    Free Member

perhaps it does and it doesn't?

toxicsoks
    Free Member

JohnClimber – yup, around Monday am.

rOcKeTdOg

emac65 – Member

Thanks for that,I forgot what a mtbing god you are

as Lance didn't say, it's all about the bike

you don't need to be a 'God' to notice the difference or similarity of two types of bike, just ride sometime

MrTall
    Free Member

I just think small 29ers make the wheels look too big for the bike in the same way that my old big 26" framed bikes made the wheels look small.
    I'd still take a small 29er over a small 26" though. I'm just waiting now until these 36ers start making their way onto the market…..

bonesetter
    Free Member

36er – you're da guy to try it Steve 8)

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘29ers…………………………………………………..!’ is closed to new replies.