Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • 29er Tyres for Peak D?
  • bowglie

I’m looking for recommendations for a good general purpose front tyre for my FS 29er. Mainly ride natural trails in Northern half of Peak District, so need something that’s not too fragile.

Have been thinking about Ardents, but looks like they might have the ‘Maxxis gap’ thing between centre and side lugs – don’t mind a bit of drift from the back wheel, but prefer something more predictable/secure on the front.

Any sensible suggestions welcome.

Cheers

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Maxxis are fine, you just have to comit to them in corners as they don’t like minceing arround in that ‘gap’!

I’m quite liking my spesh purgatorys at the moment for muddy XC.

bentos
    Free Member

Just put a set of Ardent 2.4’s on for the Dyfi. As above you need to not be scared to commit to the corners, but I didn’t struggle with grip at all (even when mincing). The 2.4’s are a real decent sized tyre and not too weighty.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bowglie

Yeah, I appreciate the comments regarding cornering – TBH, on trail centre routes, I’ve never really had a problem with getting the bike onto its tyre edges quickly. It’s just occasionally on natural terrain that I’ve experienced the front drift with HR’s/ADvantages (on my ‘normal’ wheel sized bike).

2.4 Ardents sound interesting. I’ve seen the narrower version (2.25?), so I’m guessing the 2.4 is quite high volume?

The Purgatory’s also an intereting one, as that’s what I currently have on the front (came with the bike). Most of the time it’s fine, but its occasionally squirel-ey behaviour makes me suspect that it’s the cheapo OE 70a version, not the softer aftermarket version (I need to find someone with a durometer tester!)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘29er Tyres for Peak D?’ is closed to new replies.