Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • 29er tyre pressure
  • ritchiearmstrong
    Free Member

Hiya just out of interest what psi do most 29er riders put in they’re front tyres.

I had hoped in would get away with riding with about 25psi I have heard of people running less, 25 psi doesn’t work for me even when running tubless I get flats caused by the tyre casing getting damaged, I’m riding with schawlbe rocket runs at the moment.

simondbarnes

29, sometimes 33 though.

mboy
    Free Member

Do I have to be the one to point out their/they’re/there?

Well I’ve done it now, so their/they’re/there… 😉

What pressure do you run in your 26″ wheel tyres? Cos it’s the width and your weight that affect the required tyre pressure way more than the diameter of the tyre. So if you ran 30psi in 26×2.2″ tyres, you’ll probably want 30psi in a 29×2.2″ tyre if you get me.

ritchiearmstrong
    Free Member

MBoy – ‘Thanks for the spelling corrections 😉

I’ll prroof reed my posts from nuw on.

mboy
    Free Member

I’ll prroof reed my posts from nuw on.

Good lad, that’s what I like to see! 😉

rOcKeTdOg

steve_b77
    Free Member

Less than 2bar sometimes

naffrider
    Free Member

Tubed 29er. 25psi front, 28 rear. No issues for me 🙂

oxym0r0n

2.25 RR/NN tubeless 20 front and rear

takisawa2

29 psi obviously.
    It says so in big writing on the side.
    Derr.

Jeffus
    Free Member

30 front 35 rear 26 or 29 😀

singlecrack
    Free Member

What ever my pressie down thumb says

40psi front & rear.
    I’ve had slow punctures in the past and by the time it gets to about 25psi it feels unrideable to me.

ssboggy

Take the pressure you run in 26in tyres divide by 26 then multiply by 29 😉

weeksy

i don’t give it nearly as much consideration as some.

Somewhere about 30ish to 35ish on the dirt tyres, up to about 40ish on the road use tyres.

bonesetter
    Free Member

85Kg’s, usually run ~24F/~26R, rigid, HT & FS, although on a recently fitted Hans Dampf rigid front 18psi seems spot on

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

18 at the front and as low as 15 on the rear – with tubes. Usually run RR or WW on Gordo rims and a rigid frame.

lcj

It depends what air I’m using. Air at some trail centres feels harder than others at the same pressure.

clubber
    Free Member

20 psi front (25 rear) – tubeless Maxxis Ignitor 2.1s. I’m 16+ stone. The bike has a sus fork.

thomthumb
    Free Member

between 15 and 35 psi depends on the tyre.

my normal 2.4 racing ralph is at ~25psi.

bikebouy
    Free Member

29erSSRigid here so run 30 on the front and 35 on the rear, on 2.0’s BTW.

drofluf
    Free Member

About 9 or 10 psi

ads678

Surely this depends more on your weight and the terrain you’ll be riding rather what tyre your running?

It depends what air I’m using. Air at some trail centres feels harder than others at the same pressure.

I’d never thought of this before.
    I normally blow my tyres up at home, where I’ve got trees overhanging my house.
    It’s a well known fact that woodland air is softer than city air, maybe that’s why I need more pressure than everyone else.

amedias
    Free Member

I like how nobody has mentioned riding style or terrain.

EDIT – ads678 has, but that wasn’t there when I was typing 😉

tyre pressues…the eternal mystery… for MTB between 10psi and 50psi depending on the following:

tyre casing width
    tyre casing height
    tread pattern
    tread rubber compound
    tubless or tubed
    casing compliance
    casing thickness
    rider weight
    rider skill
    riding speed
    rigid, hardtail or full sus
    long or short travel
    tarmac or dirt
    which kind of dirt
    whether there are rocks
    big rocks or little rocks
    gravel?
    sand?
    whether it is dry or wet
    or icy
    or snowy
    or dusty
    ** other variables I’ve forgotten **
    personal preference

mostly a good starting point for your average sized MTB tyre is 30F, 35R and then adjust either way to suit depending on above, just because some people swear by pressure X, doesn’t mean you will like it or get on with it.

banks
    Free Member

100 million front. 100 million rear

bonesetter
    Free Member

Another contradictory STW thread, with not much help to the OP 😐

chiefgrooveguru

Twice your weight in stone, minus one for the front and plus two for the rear, is a decent starting point for tubeless tyres in general. Bigger tyres lower, smaller tyres higher, rockier higher, slippier lower, smoother rider lower, more aggro rider higher, etc.

rootes1

Another contradictory STW thread, with not much help to the OP

If I were the OP i would try lots of different pressures and decide for myself which I liked the best.

mattjg
    Free Member

On my 26 I ran 20ish front and 23ish back. (This is according to the meter on my track pump, I have no idea if it’s reliable or consistent).

On my 29, with the ‘same’ tyres (ie 29 version) I found I could drop a bit.

My rules of thumb:
    * drop the back until it feels squirmy then put a bit more in until it doesn’t
    * drop the front until when you ride at a curb with a bit of speed you’re nearly feeling the curb ding the rim. Add a bit.

As well as my track pump I have a pressure meter that came with a tube once. Since it never agrees with the pump I disregard them both and do it by feel.

steve_b77
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru – Member
    Twice your weight in stone, minus one for the front and plus two for the rear, is a decent starting point for tubeless tyres in general. Bigger tyres lower, smaller tyres higher, rockier higher, slippier lower, smoother rider lower, more aggro rider higher, etc.

What about if it’s rocky & slippy 😥 😆

chiefgrooveguru

What about if it’s rocky & slippy

Bigger tyres and/or stickier compound! 💡

mboy
    Free Member

Twice your weight in stone, minus one for the front and plus two for the rear, is a decent starting point for tubeless tyres in general

If you ride like a pansy and/or don’t mind if your rims only last 5 minutes!

Even with BIG 2.2″ tyres I have to run minimum 30psi front, 35psi rear (and at less than 12 stone according to Stans I should be running 23/26!) otherwise I’ll roll the tyre off the rim, or bend the rim constantly. That’s on 26mm wide rims too. You can get away with lower pressures if you’re running say 35mm or wider rims cos of the extra volume they give.

Paceman
    Free Member

I run 28ish front, 32ish rear on my 29er, slightly higher on the rear if it’s bone dry. Same as I ran my 26er at.

lcj

I’d never thought of this before.
    I normally blow my tyres up at home, where I’ve got trees overhanging my house.
    It’s a well known fact that woodland air is softer than city air, maybe that’s why I need more pressure than everyone else.

Try it. I guarantee it will take your riding to the next level.

Provided you fitted the correct tyres in the first place of course…

chiefgrooveguru

If you ride like a pansy and/or don’t mind if your rims only last 5 minutes!

Anyone who knows me will confirm that although I’m not absolute max gnarr I’m far from pansying along the trails. And I’ve never dinged my Flow rims. Maybe both my gauges are wrong but they agree with each other. Maybe your gauges are over-reading? Or maybe you ride like a talentless oaf with absolutely no sense of flow?

velomanic
    Free Member

40psi front and rear (Conti X-King 2.2) with a 95kg rider

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘29er tyre pressure’ is closed to new replies.