Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 29er Touring Frame/Fork
  • kapital
    Free Member

Iv decided to build a touring bike and i quite like the idea of 29er rims, im looking at a Surly LHT but its not really compatible with the whole lack of brakes. I work in the industry for years but this is my first time looking up serious cycle to china sort of touring bikes. I understand the pitfalls of 29er tyre availability when travelling but i would still consider(carry spares). Can someone suggest frames, if there is any that run 29s, disk brakes that will work with panniers as well and maybe places to find out more about globe bike touring in gereral. thanks

thomthumb
    Free Member

surly ogre.

ton

surly ogre. all the fittings you will ever need….and tougher than a tough thing.

amplebrew

The CTC forum is pretty good for touring advice in general.

And how about a Genesis Fortitude Adventure?

Jerome
    Free Member

Singualr peregrine gets my vote.
    Built super tough..
    Option to run an internal hub gear as well..

Nick

Salsa Fargo?

I haven’t got around to loading mine up yet (only had it a month or so) but it’s such a lovely bike to ride, has all the brazeons you could ever want plus the enabler fork which allows you to use the Salsa anything cages to carry stuff.

Salsa Fargo first impressions

Riding a drop on the drops

dufresneorama
    Free Member

what about the Surly Disc Trucker?

jameso

gives me itchy feet just looking at it…

Been looking at that kind of build myself on and off. The Genesis 29er had that kind of use in mind originally. The best bike I’ve found though is a steel Jones. The ride position and comfort, handling, stiffness + toughness, the EBB + hanger combo.. I know what I’d use. Truss fork has good mounting options, a frame-bag, rear rack and adapted front bags should be enough to carry all you’d need, unless you were staying on road / gravel tracks and taking more stuff. Singular Gryphon or a Fargo would be a good alternative, or speak to Longstaff’s about a custom?

kapital
    Free Member

Thanks for all the info lads, iv been reading up on the Salsa Fargo. Seems to be the don, here is a link to a quite a good review on it.

Product Review: Salsa Fargo, Part 1 – One bike to rule them all?

MrTall
    Free Member

Another vote for the Fargo here.

I’ve had mine 18 months and it’s a great bike. So comfy and a joy to ride.

flyingmm

Another nod for the ogre here – As well as loads of fixings for racks etc etc it can take salsa anything cages too – being based on the same geometry it of course rides as well as a KMonkey too

orangeboy
    Free Member

I love my long haul trucker. Just wish I could have had the disc one they now offer
    The v brakes work ok but disc would be better

monkeyboyjc

itd be a Singualr Peregrine for me….

slparsons
    Free Member

Fargo here, early days, but initial impressions very good!

markenduro
    Free Member

Fargo here as well, great bike.

headfirst
    Free Member

I love my long haul trucker. Just wish I could have had the disc one they now offer

my disc trucker is arriving in 2 weeks!

*very excited*

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘29er Touring Frame/Fork’ is closed to new replies.