Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • 29er Singlespeed options
  • Matt_B
    Free Member

A new years resolution of mine was to ride into work more (about 14 miles each way). I can make a nice route thats on and off road and therefore a fast rolling but low maintenance 29er SS appeals. I dont want to spend a fortune (so no Niner Air Carbon!) but maybe £1200 all in?

Not fussed on frame material and it would be a rigid fork.

Recommendations?

markenduro
    Free Member

On-one Scandal

Stoner
    Free Member

Earlier today I was fantasising about wishing I had a 15 mile each way commute (I work from home, so dont 🙂 ) just so I coul dbuy one of these:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/news/products/q/date/2011/01/13/999-alfine-11-speed-new

and stick CX tyres on it.

pedalhead
    Free Member

You could get an SLX build Swift from Sam for £1200, or cheaper for Deore.

Matt_B
    Free Member

Forgot to say, the reason for a 29er SS and not a CX bike is so it can be used for other stuff aside from the commute. (Cant see me ever CX racing!)

Matt_B
    Free Member

Stoner – that pretty sweet. Not sure about the WC stripes though, looks a bit bling for riding through Manchester…

luked2
    Free Member

Singular Swift.

Thread Closed 🙂

Matt_B
    Free Member

Singular Swift looks a good option.

A Niner One 9 is going to be too expensive I think.

clubber
    Free Member

Swift for me. As to cx, they’re fantastic for things besides racing and commuting. Hit your bridleways and enjoy!

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/singular-swift-29er-and-suntour-epicon-rld-29er-fork-reviews

AJ
    Free Member

@Stoner

You do have a 15 mile commute especially if you work from home. You’ve just got to want it enough. ;-}

Stoner
    Free Member

Id get lost

igm

Carbon On-One frame with Rebas – £999

Cheap On-One wheels with tubes and tyres – £129

Plus some bits you’ve got lying around and Bob’s your uncle.

epicyclo

Swift, Gryphon, Scandal.

The Singulars have EBBs so you can quickly drop out the rear wheel if you get a puncture. The Scandal is lighter.

igm

To be fair, I certainly won’t argue against Singulars. I’ve got a Pegasus and it’s great – not cheap though. The Swift won’t be much different as a ride.

Ringo
    Free Member

I have a niner sir nine with matching fork I would sell you.for £400 leaving you a fair bit of cash to get the bits email in profile if interested

YoKaiser
    Free Member

For rigid and singlespeed like you asked. I’d consider the Swift as mentioned,never heard a bad word said about them. Or have a look at the new OS Blackbuck should be fairly unique and has some nice heritage. If your more of a modern type then the new On one Lurcher with the rigid fork looks like its going to be the bargain of the year, maybe not that pretty though.

Loads more options though if you can narrow it down a bit!

YoKaiser
    Free Member
    igm

Good point YoKaiser I’d missed the frame only option.
    On-One carbon frame – £699

Monocoque forks to follow apparently.

SidewaysTim

Complete Surly Karate Monkey for less than £1000 is a good one. You can turn it into a Fat Bike when it snows again too 🙂

See Karate Monkey!

Matt_B
    Free Member

On One is out as im 6’4 so cant fit on an 18″ frame. Surly is worth a look.

Anyone got a Kona Unit?

TheBrick
    Free Member

On One is out as im 6’4 so cant fit on an 18″ frame.

So get the 21″?

charliedontsurf

Yep karate monkey. Call me and we can do a great deal.
    Or salsa el mariachi very nice.

Stoner
    Free Member

I think he;s referring to the new carbon one TheBrick. 18″ only for now.

jackspratt
    Free Member

I’d go for the ragley ti td1 frame makes an amazing geared or singlespeed bike may blow your budget but will be worth it

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I have a Kona Unit and its fantastic. Really one of my favourite bikes, rides very light for a steel bike. I have the Dedacciai tubed model, I’m not sure what they are made from now.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

igm On One are bringing out another cheaper carbon 29er with the swapout drop outs. I believe it will be £499 for the frame.

MoreCashThanDash

Damn this thread – a rigid SS 29er would hit all the niches I’ve not got covered…….

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘29er Singlespeed options’ is closed to new replies.