Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 29er riders – stem question
  • Bazz

Just bolting together my first 29er and the bars seem way high, at the moment i’m stuck with the high rise bars and stem that i already have but i was just wondering, do many 29er riders flip the stem to roadie style to get the front end lower?

convert

many ride 0deg, some flipped, a lot flat bar.

rustler
    Free Member

70mm x 0deg here, with lo-rise Monkey-Lites. Keen to try some flats but I like the extra bit of give than a non O/S riser gives when I’m running mine with a rigid fork.

JRTG
    Free Member

110mm flipped, flat bar…. I am odd however

Big-Pete
    Free Member

Nuke Proof Warhead 760 Flat Bars on zero rise Thomson

collie
    Free Member

90mm 6 degree stem flipped with low rise monkey bars.

drain

Oddly enough I am also just about to build up my first 29er today (a Fargo) and had been looking at trying a Carnegie bar in flipped mode (1″ drop). All sorts of choices!

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

90mm 5 deg stem on 2mm spacer attached to On-One Mary bars here.

amplebrew

I run a 90mm zero rise on my Big Unit.

I did have to go from risers to a flat bar though.

Felt like I was riding a chopper with the risers.

Bazz

Thanks for the replies all, i’ll be flipping for the time being with a potential move to a flat bar when funds permit.

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

I’m on 10deg x 100 long stem

10deg back sweep FLAT Bar

I guess it’ll depend on how big/small the frame is against you, and how racy you want your setup to be too though. So you should take everything here with a pinch of salt.
    i.e. I’m 6’1 squeezing onto an 18″ Inbred, so with this setup I still run about 1.5cm spacers under the stem.

[EDIT] I like to be as high at the front while still being able to keep the front wheel down on my local steep climbs and took experimentation to hit that point[/EDIT]

Don’t worry about what it looks (or you think it looks) like. just go for what feels good to you.

robdeanhove
    Free Member

Flat bar or very low rise bar here. I also use a zero stem and have used a flipped stem with a “normal” riser. It all looks just fine and, more importantly, works well and is comfy 🙂

Rob
    bigrobracing.co.uk

Martin.B
    Free Member

Flat-ish stem with jones h bars here

clubber
    Free Member

flipped stem, flat bars and very short stack headset for my Swift

c_klein87

flipped 100mm x 10deg thomson and enve flat bars, looks alittle odd but works well

yossarian
    Free Member

80mm bonty stem with 6 or 8 deg rise. Use it flipped with a massive set of salsa pro moto flats.

Eccles
    Free Member

10 deg, 10mm spacer & flat bars. It’s still 4cm-ish lower than the saddle when at XC spinning-along height though.

Nipper99
    Free Member

80 mm 6 degree planet x stem with ragley luxey bars here.

OCB
    Free Member

My 29ers have +5º rise stems one 90mm, one 70mm, and both have Midges.

bigsi
    Free Member

It depends on the length of the headtube TBH.

On the Paradox i run an Easton 80mm stem with a 25 deg rise plus Sunline V1 low rise bars. This has a short head tube

On the swift i was using an 80mm Thomson stem with 5 degree(?) rise and Sunline V1 flat bars. This had a longer headtube

Not sure what I’ll be using on the new Full susser. Its all about trial & error for me 🙄

Dan1502
    Free Member

I think I have 25mm on my tallboy at present with a 70mm stem, 0 degree and Easton Havocs (750mm) but my forks adjust between 95 and 120mm so I can drop the front when I feel like it (like up the steep climbs in the Peaks today).

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘29er riders – stem question’ is closed to new replies.