Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 29er h/t tyres – recommendations
  • ona29er
    Free Member

Looking for new tyres for my GF Mamba 29 h/t. One do-it-all-bike needs do-it-all-tyres for all kinds of (year round) weather. Typical trails for north Scotland – think Strathpeffer / Fyrish / Cairngorms / Torridon (even Golspie). Currently have Bontrager XDX which have been ok, apart from deep mud. Usually run them at about 30psi. This will be my first replacement set. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Stoner
    Free Member

Not sure what the going is like on your trails, but for me they are mainly well drained gravels, with the odd patch of soft loam.

I ride an SS 29er.

Mostly Racing Ralf 2.4 on the front nowadays.
    Used to be 2.25 Ignitors all day, every day. and they are still a great all rounder tyre. Id love to get a spare set for the shed before they stop making them

I have ignitor on the rear of one of the SSs and on the latest one I just grabbed a tyre (A WTB werewolf 2.55) and becaus eof it’s shallow tread, put it on back to front for rear traction. Didnt work very well and was slipping when honking on the gravels so have just taken that off and put a Spesh Stout 2.3 on. Its a heavy tyre but big nobbles for grip.

SO that’s my winter set up on my 2x SS 29ers: RR on the front and either Stout or Ignitor on the back.

ona29er
    Free Member

Thanks for that. Not considered mix& match before (never had to replace tyres before!).

clubber
    Free Member

I’m using Maxxis Ignitor 2.1s front and back which I’ve found a good combo – seems to work on pretty much everything which suits me as they’re tubeless and I can’t be bothered with changing tyres.

Dan1502
    Free Member

I’ve been using Nobby Nic front and Racing Ralph rear 2.25 all season and am pretty happy with them. For the winter I will probably put a Nobby Nic on the rear as well.

Royston
    Free Member

Specialized ‘ the Captain’ front 28-30 psi and ‘small block eight’ rear 32-ish nice and fast, clear the mainly soft sandy loam easily. front can be a bit sketchy when it’s really dry and sandy

lipseal
    Free Member

I’m using panaracer rampage and nobbley nics on the back think they are both 2.25(can’t remember 😳 ). The combo has worked well but I’m thinking about changing it for the winter, to what you may ask, TBH I’m not sure?

tazzymtb

Schwalbe rocket rons on the race bike, 2.35 nobby nics on the play bike and if weight is not an issue find some wtb stouts or dissents as they are flippin ace. Bonty 29-3 front n rear combo is very good 3 season set up and xr3’s are also great fast grippy tyres that go well tubeless. Pesonally I don’t get on with maxxis tyres as I find them a bit flakey when pushed hard.

There will be a tazzy’s great tyre sale tonight with lots of big wheel rubber for silly prices 😉

lipseal
    Free Member

First dibbs on the tyres taz 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘29er h/t tyres – recommendations’ is closed to new replies.