Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 29er HT as an only bike..?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Am mtb less atm and am needing to rectify the situation. Only got the money and space for one bike these days.

Would a 29er comfortably replace both my commuter and a full sus..?

Steel to begin with but no doubt be replaced by Ti by year end.

rewski
    Free Member

I’m just considering this too, I’ll aslo get a spare set of identical wheels one with schwable marathon plus skinnies and the other MTB tyres. My current list of 29er HT’s:

Cielo
    Surly
    Enigma Custom ST or Ti

Probably a rigid fork, something like a syncros FL

nosemineb
    Free Member

That enigma is lovely. i replied to your other post above!!
    edit- which is now below [maybe] 😀

nosemineb
    Free Member

Ive just put some continental city slicks on mine at 32mm and they blew up tubeless with no effort at all. Very pleased as i only have 1 wheelset and it makes swapping easier. [/img]

letmetalktomark

Scrummy …. but needs suspension ….. and gears 😉

One was review in STW a few months ago – a very favorable write up.

Back to the OP – one bike for all ….. are you mad 😆

Paceman
    Free Member

Would be cheaper to run, but a massive compromise on and off road IMO.

nosemineb
    Free Member

my 13 mile commute is less than 5 min slower than on my old road bike and im faster around Dalby than on the my old HT. [that’s with gears though]
    Depends what/where you ride and with who.

Paceman
    Free Member

^^He’s replacing a full-susser^^

A HT 29er will be a compromise… well it would be on my local singletrack. You’re right though, horses for courses.

nosemineb
    Free Member

Does he ‘need’ his full susser. Only he can answer that!

Paceman
    Free Member

Does he ‘need’ his full susser. Only he can answer that!

…pulls up chair, reaches for hobnob tin 😉

nosemineb
    Free Member

😆

_tom_
    Free Member

Seeing this makes me want to sell my road bike and get one of these built up with an alfine, looks perfect!

rewski
    Free Member

I’m doing 32 miles a day 3-4 days a week on a Alu 26 HT with skinnies, it’s a good workout, just a bit slow. A light rigid 29er would be the way to go I reckon, don’t want a hybrid or road bike.

Gotama
    Free Member

Where do you ride and what full sus are you replacing? I’m doing something similar in going from a five to 29er hardtail. 98% of my riding is surrey hills and i prefer riding a hardtail round there as for me it makes the trails more interesting. Can generally keep up with full sus mates on most trails and i enjoy the sketchy on the edge feeling which is to some extent taken away by the full sus. Given i’m a lanky sod the new 29er AM hardtail seems like a good option. Whether it will commute or not depends on how far you commute i guess. I used to do 7 miles through london fine with a singlespeed inbred on skinny ish road tyres.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘29er HT as an only bike..?’ is closed to new replies.