Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • 29er handlebars
  • foxski
    Free Member

hi to all just bought a 29er frame forks wheels,i would just like to find out what type of bars people use,or do you use the normal mtb bars? i did like the look of the mary type bars 😀

Rorschach
    Free Member

TooTall
    Free Member

I use handlebars on mine. They seem to be just handlebars.

fenred
    Free Member

Oh the sardonic wit tonight is just soooo epic!

OP, most 29er riders will opt for low rise or flat bars, wide-ish with a shorter than your average 26er stem set up dependent on frame Geo/your Geo etc…my pref niner flatop 711mm and 80mm stem.

Hth.

thomthumb
    Free Member

shorter than your average 26er stem

do they?

i don’t.

fenred
    Free Member

…hold up…have I just been a bit slow here 😕

fenred
    Free Member

Good for you thom.

redfordrider
    Free Member

700mm Race Face Turbine Flat Bar with 110mm -17 Syntace 109 stem on my HT 29er.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Are these threads a wind up?

fenred
    Free Member

…hold up…have I just been a bit slow here

My guess too al….

tazzymtb

I use these

Ringo
    Free Member

He really does, I’ve seen them 🙂

tazzymtb

yeh, you love my bugger handles dontcha Ringo 😀

takisawa2

Niner Flat-Tops here. I like them. Width & sweep just right for me. Short (50mm) stem really made difference on mine.

You could try upside down drops, or cow-horns even.
    A retro-fitted steering wheel, with fork lift truck style spinning knob would be different.
    What about an Xbox control pad…
    Worlds your oyster now man.

singlespeedstu

tazzy.

Do those handle well from the front and the rear or are the direction specific?

tazzymtb

stu, they work best for really pulling hard on from behind when thrutching up steep muddy gullies

boxelder

90mm stem and lo-rise 685mm Eastons here
    What was on my 26″ hardtail.

steve_b77
    Free Member

At the moment I have a 90mm 0 deg rise stem and a set of flat 685mm Easton bars.

But I have an incling to fit a set of wider bars after fitting 745mm ones to my FS

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

I use a set 0f 30degree high rise, low drop moustache bars, carved out of a solid lump of titanium by reg Denkins in his shed. Cost me £300 but worth every penny.

hugor
    Free Member

I made the fashionable short stem wide bars change recently – wish I’d done it years ago.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Red tastic ……

Low rise widish ones …but not red .

singlespeedstu

carved out of a solid lump of titanium by reg Denkins in his shed. Cost me £300 but worth every penny.

reg sold out to the mainstream system back in 79.
    His brother Sydney Denkins is still keepin it real though.

Bernaard
    Free Member

On-one Marys on my Kona Unit(not the bike pictured). It has rigid forks and I read somewhere that they take the sting out of the riding. Seems to work.
    Wouldn’t want to use them with suspension though, don’t know why

foxski
    Free Member

lovely bought a pair of mary bars 🙂

eshershore
    Free Member

totally depends on which 29er you have bought and your size too?

I bought a medium (17″) Stumpjumper Evo 29er, to suit my 5’10” size

am running Thomson 70mm stem (bike came with 90mm), Easton Havoc DH bars 750mm wide, and Thomson Elite seatpost which is “in line” whereas the stock Specialized seatpost was a layback design

still playing around with stem spacers and saddle rail position in the seatpost clamp, but the wide bars feel very nice!

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Just fitted some Ragley Carnegies with a 65mm sunline stem on my Salsa Selma today. I had traditional, not especially wide risers and a 90mm stem on it before but in lots of riding situations, especially long, steady climbs, I’d find my hands hanging off the ends of the bars.

Bike now looks thoroughly weird – like something you’d see a World War I despatch rider on.

That said, on the brief spin round the block and through the woods that I took it on to tweak the set-up, it felt oddly right – seemed like a very natural and ergonomically sorted position for your hands and arms to be in. Remains to be seen how well it’ll work on a longer ride though.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Its honestly best to try a few things,

I’ve tried marys, carnegies, narrow wide, with short and long stems,

My current bike XL Pace 29er has a 100mm stem and 710mm flat bars with 11deg of sweep. seems to work just right.

now i’m just trying grips, when i get them sorted it’ll be back to seeing what frame is right in a triggers brush kinda way,

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘29er handlebars’ is closed to new replies.