Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 29er front mech
  • crazybaboon

I’ve just finished building a 29er scandal and the rear tyre is rubbing on the back of the mech cage, and there’s bugger all clearance on the front mech clamp.
    Tried to use a old bottom swing Xt mech but that won’t fit at all, sram x7 had about 2mm clearance on the cable clamp bolt, now using a top swing SLX.
    Any ideas on the best front mech to use?
    Running 2.2 nevegals and I’m not looking forward to a muddy ride tomorrow!

boxelder

Top swing SLX here and it buzzed 2.3″ WTB tyres. Assumed it was just poorly set ‘stop’ screw. No problem with 2.1″ Crossmark.

Stoner
    Free Member
    clubber
    Free Member

If you’re really stuck and using ht2 chainset fit three spacers on the drive side to space it out. Also some double specific mechs may give more clearance.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Any ideas on the best front mech to use?

I asked on-one that very same question and had a “I’ll ask around” answer. Then never heard back.

There’s not a lot of room – especially on the larger Scandal frames – but I ran 2.25 Maxxis Ardents with no tyre/cage interface issues. The clamp, however, was quite close to the tyre…

In the end, just I looked around at all the designs of front mechs on the market and tried to pick the most minimal an un-intrusive. I bought a new XT dual-pull and sawed off the redundant bottom-pull bit of the mechanism to create a bit more room, then painted the ‘stump’ black. Works a treat.

crazybaboon

Looks like I’ll be attacking my mech with the saw later!
    Whats a good 2.1 ish tyre for all round use as the nev’s don’t leave much mud room for this time of year.

Stoner
    Free Member

ignitors FTW.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘29er front mech’ is closed to new replies.