Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 29er: Foot occasionally rubbing front tyre! Anyone else?
  • Bagstard
    Free Member

I have size eleven feet and ride flat pedals, my front tyre is a whopping 2.55 WTB dissent and on tight turns I have to be careful not to catch my foot on the tyre. Anyone else found this?

tazzymtb

slightly longer offset fork?

hows the monster front going by the way, all ok?

Bagstard
    Free Member

Hi tazzy, the wheel is great thanks, loads of cushioning and grip, but I’ve not had that much opportunity to ride. Just waiting for my new christmas rear wheel as my old one is all but dead.

weeksy

Only if my foot is in wrong place on pedals

Bagstard
    Free Member

You may be onto something there weeksy, my feet do seem to have crept forward of late.

ianven
    Free Member

This happens to me on my road bike. Not good when clipped in! I’ve learned to take corners with the crank arms vertical. It seems more likely to happen when going slowly

Trimix
    Free Member

Get one with 26 inch wheels – problem solved 🙂

singlespeedstu

My CX bike has terrible toe overlap when i’m just sat on it going nowhere. 😐
    I’ve yet to catch my foot on the front wheel when actualy riding it though. 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Size 12 here (48 mtb shoes) and it’s never an issue I’ve found on a 29er (having tested several before getting my Swift) though I do use more ‘conventional’ tyres – 2.1 to 2.3 ish

I also use SPDs – IME using flats you tend to ride with the pedal more towards the arch of your foot than with SPDs.

metalheart
    Free Member

On tight turns my outside foot it down and I’m weighting it (because Jedi told me so).

Not only does this help in tight corners it stops toe/front tyre interface.

And I ride flats too. That said I demoed a 29er yesterday and once managed some toe rub… Sometimes I choose not o listen… 😳

HTH.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

sss- when you are sitting on your bike going nowhere do you make motorbike noises??

Euro
    Free Member

Trimix – Member
    Get one with 26 inch wheels – problem solved

Until you pull an x-up and the wheel big-buzzes your toes on the way back. 😯

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Never experienced it myself on a Haro Mary or Scandal, and that’s riding around the NW Alps.

belugabob
    Free Member

I agree with clubber – size 12s, test rode several bikes before buying, currently running Bontrager Fr3 tyre at 2.35 inches and never had an issue.
    I do run spds and am constantly amazed by how many (non-mtb, usually) cyclists have the pedal under the arch of their foot, so I suspect your foot (and/or crank) position is at fault.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m fine on mine with size 10 feet, thats on twisty woodsy single track too.

adeward
    Free Member

Mine is good no problem but I only have size 9 and always clip in , I did have to remove the lower part of the mudguard on my fixxie road bike as you have no option to keep pedaling

belugabob
    Free Member

Forgot to ask – which brand/model/size is the frame?

Bagstard
    Free Member

The issue mainly arises on tight turns where you need to pedal, so weighting the outside foot wont work, tight uphill switchbacks etc. On SPD’s your foot is much further back, it took me a while to adjust to riding with my foot further forward when going to flats, think I may have gone too far now.

The bike is a voodoo hoodoo with exotic carbon forks, frame size 18″ medium (actually more like a 20″)

Paceman
    Free Member

Happens on my commuter road bike when I have to pedal slowly through the harbour locks. It’s not ideal and I suspected it might be the case with some 29er frames. Size 10’s too with SPD’s.

singlespeedstu

pop larkin – Member

sss- when you are sitting on your bike going nowhere do you make motorbike noises??

No. I only do that when i’m moving. 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘29er: Foot occasionally rubbing front tyre! Anyone else?’ is closed to new replies.