Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 29er crest rims and tyres
  • nosemineb
    Free Member

My only bike is a 29er and so i need to be able to swap tyres quickly from commute to mtb tyres for the 1 bike to work for me. Im using Maxxis aspens and Bonty muds which inflate really easily but i also want to run a commute tyre/ cyclocross to speed up the commute.
    So which cross tyres work well tubeless and with a track pump? Or are you guys putting tubes in for cross tyres?
    I lost my patience with it tonight and it doesnt help that ive run out of sealant and my pump is leaking air from the head grrrrr!!
    Im half blaming the pump as tubeless seemed easy in the past but the honeymoon is over now.
    Help!

geordiemick00
    Free Member

If I was swapping tyres back and forth then I wouldn’t even consider tubeless, personally.

tim3
    Free Member

Tubes will be easier!

uplink
    Free Member

I’d be wary of the newest Schwalbe offerings on those rims – they’re mega tight

BadlyWiredDog

Have you thought about a spare wheel-set instead, more initial outlay, a lot less ongoing hassle.

nosemineb
    Free Member

If i had new wheels would i not also need new cassette chain and spare rotors etc?
    Im only changing every couple of weeks or so really, eg i wont be mtbing this weekend or next so want to use a faster tyre to commute on.
    Im starting to think the aspens prob arent that much slower anyway and the time ive wasted trying to swap them would be more than the few min everydsy from a draggy tyre.
    I may just go down the tube route for the smaller tyres but im just annoyed as ive run out of milk, have a broken pump and have no tubes in the house!

thekingofsweden

Try an extra layer of tape in the well of the rim for easier inflation

Not sure about the strength of the sidewalls for tubelessing x tyres it’s definately a big no no for road tyres interested to hear how it goes

I did use the 1.9 Michelin AcX tyres for on and off road use with about 50 psi they rolled along great just let some out for off road rides

jimification
    Free Member

Agreed on the Schwalbes. I don’t know if all their tyres have the same bead circumference but my new 29er Rocket Rons are ridiculously tight on Crests.

Sam

If it’s just for commuting I’d look at something like Maxxis Wormdrives with a wire bead. Also had good success with Schwalbe Marathon extreme if you want a higher quality tyre.

ronburgundy

I have recently fitted some Hutchinson Bulldog CX tyres to my 355 rims and they work well. They are proper tubeless ready jobbies and inflated no problem with a track pump.
    However, if I were swapping the tyres alot, I would run tubes.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘29er crest rims and tyres’ is closed to new replies.