Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 29 er Head Angles
  • chimpchops27
    Free Member

Im currently looking at buying a hardtail 29er. Ive narrowed my options to:

http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=62054&scid=1100&scname=Mountain

or this

http://www.scott-sports.com/us_en/product/11258/63853/221721

What I would like to know is why the head angle on the Scott is slack at 69.5 deg and the Stumpie is 71.5 deg.
    I have read on some sites that to have a sorted geometry on a 29er the head angle needs to be steeper than the equivalent 26″ wheel bike.

I will be using the bike for racing but I also live in the lakes and don’t want a really twitchy thing when it gets steep.

Can anyone help me.?

Thanks in advance

TooTall
    Free Member

Try riding them. You don’t want to be spending that sort of money on the word of a numpty posting on here!

chimpchops27
    Free Member

Yep ive booked a ride on the spark which has the same head angle as the scale.

STATO
    Free Member

There has been a general trend towards slacker HA in 29ers, as with 26″ bikes. If you look at the Geo charts you can see the reach on the scott is shorter too, in order to reduce the lengthening of the wheelbase due to the slack HA. As someone has said, its personal preferance, and likely down to where you fit in between sizes.

bonesetter
    Free Member

The general trend has gone slacker. 72° started out as the norm. I owned a Niner (FS & HT) which were just too steep @72. Current 29er ride is a smidge under 70° and suits what i do perfectly (woodsy hilly stuff)

The Scott’s geo would get my nod

adeward
    Free Member

Sadly head angle isn’t the whole story, look at chainstay length, front centre, reach etc

Ride as many bikes as you can before making up your mind all 29 ers are not the same horses for courses

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘29 er Head Angles’ is closed to new replies.