Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 29 – 26 ?
  • bunnerscj
    Free Member

Hi,
    Anyone ridden 29 and then gone back to 26. I've been blatting around on 29er for some time but also have a retro Kona 26. When I get back on the 26 I love it !. Feels so 'chuckable' (I hate that phrase) after the wagon wheeler.

Cant deny that the 29er is faster but 26 is creeping back in for me !
    Anyone else ???

trail_rat
    Free Member

nope i find when i get back on my 26ers it feels pretty guff tbh , feel every bump , feel like i have to work the bike more to get it around the trails at speed

My 29er just feels natural – my 29er is a 400 quid gary fisher rig ive been riding for 5 years.

my 26ers have been a santacruz heckler (old superlite style one) and a merida flx 3000 that weighs chuff all

just built a new 29er

druidh
    Free Member

HTH

tree-magnet
    Free Member

rail_rat – Member
    feel like i have to work the bike more to get it around the trails at speed

my 26ers have been a santacruz heckler (old superlite style one) and a merida flx 3000 that weighs chuff all

You have to "work" your race orientated bikes to keep them up to speed? I'm shocked. 😐

trail_rat
    Free Member

i thought if you bought carbon lightweight bikes it was like buying a motor bike … how wrong was i …… *raised eyebrow*

Im building another 29er currently – a 29er race orientated bike – lets see how that fairs , my mates a convert having been a mocker of my gary fisher – he rode a superfly for racing this year and loved it , reckoned it rode faster anyway.

Coasting
    Free Member

Theres a lot of interesting ideas and theories floating around regarding 29ers.I personally think in some situations they are faster and others not so.The one thing i do notice is they take a bit more energy to get up to speed and do need to be muscled around some tracks.I think 26 and 29ers have there place and are both fun to ride

rOcKeTdOg

takes me about 30 mins to get used to riding a 26" bike again, but i prefer the 29er, no question

shortcut

I have not long build up a 29er, a Fisher Ferrous, with On One forks and just the one gear. This took a bit of getting used to mainly down to the rigid forks.

This weekend I was out on my Five Spot having only ridden the 29er for about 3 weeks and once I got over the fact I could not climb like I would on a roadbike I got on fine with the Spot.

Having said that I am re-aligning my expectations bike wise and am very keen to see what is coming out for the 2011 season in the way of XC / long ride 29er. The Anthem X currently looks like it could be a very good bet. There are also I am sure going to be some nice offerings from Trek / Fisher, Turner, SantaCruz etc.

Picto
    Free Member

Happy on either. been riding my 29ers over most of the summer (my rigid Inbred 29er, friends Obed). Last couple of rides have been on my Leroi 26er. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Gets up to speed a bit quicker than the 29er, way quicker steering. Absolute blast. Did not take any time to get used to.

Would not say one is better than the other though. Just different, and the joy is in being out on the bike.

thomthumb
    Free Member

26" feels like it has a head angle of 90° after riding a 29 for any time.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I tried 2 29ers and went back to 26. I quite liked them but was content enough with my 26, if I wanted to own more bikes on one of them would probably be a 29er. But I don't.

collie
    Free Member

One year into my 29er experiment and I certainly prefer the bigger wheeled bike in my garage for most riding. The rigid Inbred 29er feels 'just right' most of the time – faster, better fit, and obviously more connected than my FS 26er.
    I still enjoy taking the FS 26er on long days out in the Peak for its traction on rocky climbs and fun on the downs.
    I cant help but think that if and when I demo a FS 29er (tempted by the Anthem x29)it might be wagon wheels all the way.

firestarter
    Free Member

i like either. sold the 29er last year but just recently built a new one as i missed it 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘29 – 26 ?’ is closed to new replies.