Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • 27.2mm dropper post…..?
  • mcboo
    Free Member

What are my options? Used one on a rental bike in Morzine, was a “where have you been all my life” moment, got to get one. Know Gravity do 27.2mm but gotta say they do look horrible. Anything else available?

Liftman

GDs look fugly but work and are simple to service/fix as they are mechanical rather than hydraulic.

chrisjnr
    Free Member

Looking at getting an X-Fusion Hilo from Germany this Christmas… Not the most sophisitcated by any means but looks pretty nice its available in 27.2mm.

Will try to find the link, actionsports do the remote versiom too for not too much more.

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

Yep – Kindshock i7. Have used both the GD and the i7. Gravity Dropper is very reliable but does need quite a lot of cleaning and re-greasing etc to keep it working well. I’ve had mine 2 years and is still going strong. The i7 is much newer so reliability isn’t proven yet. i7 looks sooo much better than the GD though.

chrisjnr
    Free Member

http://www.actionsports.de/de/Komponenten/SattelstuetzenKlemmen/X-Fusion-Hilo-Sattelstuetze::32988.html

Comes in at £124 methinks and 140 odd with remote…

Not too bad 😛

emanuel
    Free Member

isn’t there a 27.2 ks with 150mm of drop coming out in the new year?

chrisjnr
    Free Member

isn’t there a 27.2 ks with 150mm of drop
    coming out in the new year?

haendlershop.trailsupply.ch/product_info.php/products_id/701/cPath/18_21/ks-i950/neu:-kind-shock-ks-i950r,-150mm-hub,–Ø-30.9-mm,-laenge-435-mm,-v.html

This what you mean? Already out in Switzerland, but bloody expensive even when you convert the price!

emanuel
    Free Member

I think so,but with the remote,and the cable is like the gd,goes into the body,not the head.
    I think rrp was about 400$.So yes,bloody expensive.
    plus I need 27.2.

Pauldunk
    Free Member

Just about to get myself a Gravity Dropper Turbo model.

I can’t believe the interest in these up/down seatposts, I’ve been looking into it for two weeks now, read loads and loads of reviews of all different posts, and for sure its the GD (like you I too need 27.2).
    The best looking one IS the KS but they don’t seem to know what there doing…the i7 is out of stock everywhere and KS are about to release yet another model of there 27.2….three times they have named there’s.

Plain and simple, up and down Gravity Dropper….

Oh and FOX….Yeah that’l be a good seatpost if they ever release it….sadly you’ll have to get a new bike…..NO 27.2 MODELS PLANNED!!

emanuel
    Free Member

but the gd dropper in 27.2 doesn’t have that much travel.
    It’s not something I want to buy twice.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

your choices as above are

GD- mechanical, ugly, basic, stepped drops, reliable and easy for owner to service and maintain.

KSi7- “infinite” adjustment, mixed reliability reports with plenty of “needed sending back and rebuilding from new” posted on here, and appears a change of importer/distributor means you cant find em. Ugly/clumsy with the external piggyback cyclinder.

X-fusion- “infinite” adjustment, some largely positive reviews but still a bit of an unknown quantity.

How much drop do you need, my GD drops to 4″ which is more than enough for arse-on-back-tyre shenanigans.

I assume fox/rockshox would rather slightly limit their market not catering for 27.2 than make a post more unreliable by slimming everything down too much (why KS needed to move half the stuff externally and not many hydraulic/pneumatic post makers have tried to go that small?).

crackhead
    Free Member

Found this
    http://www.gobizkorea.com/blog/PremiumView.do?blogid=mgisong&id=960523
    Would like one myself but think they are crazy money…and don’t want to buy into yet another MTB technology that is proving to be unreliable

LAT

Diverse suspension have a 27.2 dropper on their site

[/url]

Stevo210
    Free Member

Im looking at purchasing one in the next week or so and although I aint too keen on the Gravity Dropper it seems to be the only sensible option.
    After a weekend with Ed.O. up in Gisburn he related all manner of issues he’d had with other posts and how many times he had had warranty replacements etc etc. His Gravity Dropper was still going strong.

http://www.great-rock.co.uk/2011/10/gravity-dropper/

Still damn ugly though 🙁

trailertrash

My i7 has been fantastic for over a year, but I am quite careful with washing i.e. I only clean my chainset really.

Stevo210
    Free Member

Has anyone successfully replaced the GD dust cover with a nice plush neoprene one in a vain attempt to enhance its looks?

If so whats the most suitable?

LoCo
    Free Member

DSP one due soon, just finishing testing a couple of Prototype models.

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

Has anyone successfully replaced the GD dust cover with a nice plush neoprene one in a vain attempt to enhance its looks?

No, but I took that ugly boot off a couple of years ago and haven’t had any problems – no more cleaning and fiddling than with the boot on.

Stevo210
    Free Member

DSP one due soon, just finishing testing a couple of Prototype models.

Tell me more…..DSP?

Removal eh? guess thats an option.

LoCo
    Free Member
    Stevo210
    Free Member

Cheers…..was confused, you meant actual posts not dust covers.
    There’s lots of posts coming out, so hard to know which one to go for or which one to wait for.
    Likes been said you’d expect Fox to be great but it’s a long way off.

mcboo
    Free Member

Maybe an idea for a magazine grouptest here…..

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

there was one earlier this year (MBR I think) that you might be able to find scanned on the tinterweb (my last link has disappeared). They seemed to have a duff GD with loads of play (or didn’t have the wit to check the collar was tight) and rated the joplin higher.

olaf_hansen
    Free Member

Also, there’s the mechanical French Ice Lift. Read a review in a French mag the other day and it wasn’t far behind the Reverb. Seemed pretty rated at under 100 EUR.

http://www.ice-helmet.com/next/index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&task=category&id=9:ice-lift-tige-de-selle-t%C3%A9lescopique&Itemid=91

Northwind

crashtestmonkey – Member

there was one earlier this year (MBR I think) that you might be able to find scanned on the tinterweb (my last link has disappeared). They seemed to have a duff GD with loads of play (or didn’t have the wit to check the collar was tight) and rated the joplin higher.

Was that the one where they’d asked for a Classic, then marked it down for the bum-tap? Or was that one of the Future rags? Seems more like an MBR trick tbh.

stevemtb
    Free Member

The Ice Lift does look nice and cheap but when I found a site that sells it they say it has two positions, up and down. May be a translation error but if that’s all the options it makes it pretty obvious why it’s cheap:

http://www.purebike.fr/en/ice-lift-telescopic-seatpost-a2545.html

RELATED QUESTION:
    I’ve got bikes with 30.9 and 31.6, can only find one shim that does this reduction. Would it be sensible to get a 27.2 post and both the shims that would work for all my bikes meaning any future ones would be ok with it or does the shim weaken the whole set up?

foxyrider
    Free Member

X-fusion- “infinite” adjustment, some largely positive reviews but still a bit of an unknown quantity.

Mines been OK apart from the seal squeaks – I took mine apart to grease it 🙂

http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/features/maintenance/x-fusion-hilo-service.htm

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘27.2mm dropper post…..?’ is closed to new replies.