Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 145 total)
  • 26 Ain't Dead
  • _tom_
    Free Member

A man riding in skinny jeans, and pushing uphill is supposed to be telling me about mtbing?!

Yeah, and probably knows a lot more about riding than most of riders on this forum I bet 😛

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Nice video, great frames too but obviously Cotic being a very small company can’t change their bikes to 650b overnight, just as well most of us don’t think 650b makes much difference.

Ben_H

I actually spoke to Cy recently, when ordering some replacement decals for my Soul. I told him that I’d definitely buy a 650b Soul…but I wish I hadn’t now.

Like for many people, the outlay required to simultaneously upgrade a frame, fork and wheels is a lot to me. It just doesn’t seem worth £1,500 or so to get a slightly different Soul; whereas at least with a 29er it’s typically a considerably different ride.

He’s definitely sticking his neck out with this – full credit to him.

Unfortunately, it’s come a little late to secure a sale from me. I decided that amidst all this uncertainty I would refurbish my “old” Soul – it cost pretty much the same as the net cost of getting a new frame (i.e. buying new one, selling old one = net cost).

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Ben H – agree totally, the cost of updating to 650 isn’t worth it for most people.

But is Cotic/Cy really sticking his neck out? Isn’t he just advertising his product in pretty much the only way he can against bigger companies with their 650b frame overhaul on every model? Not wishing to be critical, I think Cotic frames and the company in general are ace, just it’ll be interesting/surprising if the next Rocket, Soul and Bfe aren’t 650bs!

Cheezpleez

Top vid.

Wheel sizes? WGAF?

moonboy
    Free Member

If I wear skinny jeans will it make me ride like that?

If so…

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Am I the only one not inspired by that vid?
    To me it was dull, yes the riding was to a good standard, but it was hardly breaking the mold of what could be done on just about any bike, so I just don’t get the relevance to 26″ not being dead 😐

dannyh
    Free Member

If I wear skinny jeans will it make me ride like that?

If so…

If you’re anything like me it’ll make you look like a ****t even if you’re just walking along in them!

I have to marvel at some riders sometimes, and that geezer is one of them.

The only thing that could make me ride like that is a full scale talent transplant.

andypaul99
    Free Member

26 to 27.5 isnt worth an upgrade

29 to 27.5 is a downgrade

26 to 29 is an upgrade

29 to 26 is madness

Duggan

How on earth do you learn to ride like that..even just a little bit?

wrecker
    Free Member

26 to 29 is an upgrade
    29 to 26 is madness

For you maybe. I can’t stand 29ers and will never own one.

colin9

I can’t stand 29ers and will never own one.

+1

duntstick
    Free Member

Who’d change their bikes if there was nothing to change to. The industry wheels will keep turning wether they have real innovation or not.

Not worth flapping about really……

Superficial
    Free Member

I want to know where the first bit of that video was filmed. Anyone know? I’ve seen that track on a couple of videos / photos and I can’t work out where it is. I thought I knew all the decent stuff around Sheffield 😡

Middle bit is Greno / Wharnside I think? Only the very end is Parkwood springs.

tenfoot

duntstick – Member
    Who’d change their bikes if there was nothing to change to.

Don’t get this. I have a 26″ fs bike that will get changed when a) I’m bored with it or b) when it’s past it’s best. Surely no-one would swap bikes on the strength of wheel sizes

(I do have a 650b bike, but it’s a hardtail to compliment my full susser and was bought for spec not wheel size)

duntstick
    Free Member

Surely no-one would swap bikes on the strength of wheel sizes

That was my point…… 🙂

The industry thinks otherwise and marketing is a wonderful thing nowadays

martinxyz
    Free Member

Nice video, great frames too but obviously Cotic being a very small company can’t change their bikes to 650b overnight

They thing is, they don’t need to.

mekon
    Free Member

The industry thinks otherwise and marketing is a wonderful thing nowadays

..and people seem to have far too much spare cash these days to indulge them.

Northwind

tenfoot – Member

Surely no-one would swap bikes on the strength of wheel sizes

I’ve met a few folk who have

martinxyz
    Free Member

Cy’s sitting back in silence with a smug grin.. knowing that you’ll all realize something about the soul sooner or later.

cogitoergosum
    Free Member

Whatever your wheel size preference, I doubt he’d have been able to chuck a steel 29er around on some of those trails with similar panache. A lot of the steep, serpentine trails in Northern England just ride better under a 26. 29ers feel like oil tankers where a tug would be more than sufficient.

Ha, tug.

GEDA
    Free Member

26 to 29 is an upgrade

29 to 26 is madness

Upgrade=Spend more money=Work more=Ride less=Be worse on bike. Simples

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A lot of the steep, serpentine trails in Northern England just ride better under a 26. 29ers feel like oil tankers where a tug would be more than sufficient.

Now I’ve heard of the Sepentine in WA but not in the north of england? What are these trails???

bol

I seem to remember a reluctance at Cotic to go to 29″. They relented and made an excellent one in the end. For his same I hope Cy is working on a 650b hardtail and FS, as there will undoubtedly be increasing demand. And it doesn’t mean it will be impossible to sell a good 26er. Market forces init. I bet they’ll be great too.

jekkyl

Was that Cy as a the priest?

It looks like those woodland trails had just been cut (for this video?)

66deg
    Free Member

I think specialized have not gone into 650B because the difference
    between the two sizes is insignificant , they can hardly be described
    as a niche outfit.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

66deg – Member
    I think specialized have not gone into 650B because the difference
    between the two sizes is insignificant , they can hardly be described
    as a niche outfit.

More because they are currently sacrificing everything on the 29″ altar, to admit 29″ is not best would be like Giant claiming 650b is the future…

steel4real
    Free Member

Like so many have said – stuck with stock that isn’t selling.

The video is a clever response and does feature some top riding but it’s the rider not the bike, didn’t Cotic do a similar video for their 29er earlier this year ?

tomlevell

Was that Cy as a the priest?

Nope he was lurking at the back.

In a couple of years there will be a decent market for aftermarket 650b hardtail frames which I’m sure Cotic will tap into as people strip their full sus and want to plug it all into a hardtail.
    There’s going to be a market for 26″ frames too for quite a long time to come.

Video not as good as Rocketman but then he did have a cape ;0)

Superficial
    Free Member

The video is a clever response and does feature some top riding but it’s the rider not the bike, didn’t Cotic do a similar video for their 29er earlier this year ?

Very similar, yes.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6lszlJgPlo

I’d have to say that the 26″ rider is getting more rad 😛

Like so many have said – stuck with stock that isn’t selling.

Or they’re just not taking it too seriously and are just mucking around. Playing Devil’s advocate whilst selling the type of bikes people who ride bikes actually want?

ajc
    Free Member

I don’t know if its the same rider or trails as the Solaris vid, but this guy seems to be having more fun chucking the bike around. If you watch the two back to back it perfectly shows the stereotype of the two wheel sizes. But it’s just telly so who knows what’s real.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Think the video was just as much about wha the BFE is about as well as showcasing 26ers. That Orange video put up a few months ago showed that 29ers can be chucked around just as vigorously with the right rider on them.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

“Like so many have said – stuck with stock that isn’t selling.”

Really? I thought the vid is to celebrate they got a new shipment of frames in new colours coming in this week?

“To celebrate the arrival of our new 2014 colour 26″ hardtails, check out the latest Cotic video from Steel City Media showing why 26” wheels are ace.

The BFe is the first frame to get our new Black Grape colour, which is a fantastic deep purple gloss. It is now available alongside the Gloss Bright Green (as shown in the film) and Matte Gritstone.

Our legendary Soul frame is now also available in subtle Gritstone, as well as Duckegg.”

adsh
    Free Member

Bugger the wheelsize where’s the orange!? 👿

passtherizla
    Free Member

any one else see minnaar’s poison this morning?

[/url]
    Untitled by passtherizla, on Flickr[/img]

sparkingchains
    Free Member

MTB Rob – you missed the point.

wwaswas

he has ‘clarified’ subsequently;

my comment wasn’t about a wheel size, it’s about a video 26 Ain’t dead

so really not sure if he’s talking about that specific Cotic and how it appears in the video rather than 26″ bikes as a whole?

roverpig

Fair enough. When you spend your whole life trying to get from top to bottom of world cup courses as quickly as possible it’s easy to forget that for most people it’s just about having a bit of fun in the woods.

passtherizla
    Free Member

yeah looks like it was a direct cotic diss? eeek. I own 2 and think they’re ace.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Twitch as a ferret on crack sounds like fun though, no? Unless you have a reason to be the fastest. Sort of why I love riding in the wet, just not all the time.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 145 total)

The topic ‘26 Ain't Dead’ is closed to new replies.