Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 401 total)
  • 2016 XC racing thread.
  • bianchiboy
    Free Member

Cool….just rereading thread, think i was near you asking ADSH how the race went afterwards.Was you in London Phoenix top?

Kryton57

Yep that was me. I have to admit I can’t remember seeing your bike and therefore your- apologies! Next week maybe.

I’ve just realised I’ve 3 races next week – Beastway Wednesday and Saturday, and MSG Sunday. Tough week!

adsh
    Free Member

Kryton – nice to meet you. Sorry if I was not exactly gushing – eyes burning from sweat and plain knackered.

Was a good get back into it for me – was a bit crap, lacked fitness and hugely unskilled. Rolled my rear off the rim on lap 2 and got a bit wild thereafter but last lap was good and I survived a crazy off the line manoeuvre by a rider that could have been nasty.

Bianchiboy – rigid specialized?

bianchiboy
    Free Member

Hi Kryton
    Yep next time,i think i will remember you 😛

Doing both Beastway races,not sure about MSG at Carver barracks,might do final ESES at Potash instead on the Tuesday after.

Yes adsh,that was me…..we spoke on grid too.Glad you enjoyed,next week too?

paulhaycraft

I did Beastway last week and hopefully next week. It was my first race in a few years but I wasn’t quite last. Chain snapped in the bottom corner so ended up running almost half a lap. I think it was fun.

adsh
    Free Member

Yes adsh,that was me…..we spoke on grid too.Glad you enjoyed,next week too?

‘Enjoyed’ 😕

Planning on next week – might even break out the race bike! #noexcuses. Also may have to start harder and manage my slide down the field as passing is hard!

Although I will be in the middle of a training block…. #excuses

Kryton57

Despite a low turnout albeit with the better riders, I managed a 9th today with manflu on a semi dry course at Beastway. It was arm warmers cool but the rain stayed away.

Big day on Saturday for the Beastway season finale, with entertainment, BBQ and beer tent surrounding a full Reg A XCO race. Followed my Reg A XCO at MSG for me Sunday!

bianchiboy
    Free Member

Good job,how was the bike?

15th for and 3rd Grand vet but as you say reduced numbers but didn’t get lapped which is always good news!

Looking forward to Beastway finale on Sat

Kryton57

Nice one – and good to meet you.

Apart from user error where I pressed the wrong thing to go up that grassy slope at the start (sram vs lifelong shimano user) and went down two gears instead of up, it was excellent. I was nervous as three years ago my Ti hard tail beat me up around there and I hoped I hadn’t made a mistaken purchase, but whilst it obviously wasn’t full suss, it was comfy, very spritely up hills / out of corners and as I’d hoped the “new school” 29er geometry is makes the bike so much more manouverable than the Anthem, it really was a pretty awesome experience borne out by my result despite manflu – I’ll be keeping it!

I think compared to the Anthem – also repeated in Internet FS vs HT for racing reviews – the FS does “suck” some watts out of you on acceleration, and it’s HA doesn’t inspire you to carry race speed around sharp turns. I will be keeping it though for longer – and therefore slower – events and social.

I’m feeling pretty fresh this morning also considering the illness!

adsh
    Free Member

Whilst I’m very glad it all worked out well for you I would have preferred a tail of woe that we could all have contributed to. Can I suggest you re-examine your performance last night and come up with some issues we can feel superior about?

Kryton57

Ok, there was a sharp right turn over a log roll and – as discussed with NJEE lately – as we all seem to have coordination issues turning slowly and sharply either left or right depending on whether we are left or right handed, I couldn’t ride over it and turn at the same time without the feeling of impending doom as I looked at the nettlebed on the side of the trail.

100% inadequacy on my part losing me 10 secs per lap. Oh and I had one too many clicks on my Reba compression which I fixed mid race by turning the dial, and had no where to blow my streaming nose ‘cept all over the trail.

Any good?

adsh
    Free Member

I think I may have to take over your mantle as this shows a disturbing level of satisfaction and confidence.

Kryton57

🙂

I can’t remember whether it was Dirtyrider or MrBlobby who said “a carbon hard tail will be faster than your Anthem for XCO”

They were right. I know you can’t buy speed but I’ve sadly calculated my Beastway results against other riders and on average across the series and last night I was 4 minutes faster on average vs my peers across the whole race – with Manflu. Only the bike and the Manflu were different to my normal prep process.

the rest as they say is up to me (and my new coach who will no doubt be beasting me in prep for next season later in the year :lol:)

Kryton57

Ah the highs and lows. Came off the start in 2nd place, dropped to 5th by the 3rd lap, then both wheels puncture. Fixed the rear with Co2 (tubeless) and pumped up the front as it seems slow. 1/2 lap later both were flat again – dnf, my only one this year, and had I finished I would have been in the top 10 of a Regional B.

Balls.

bianchiboy
    Free Member

Unlucky…was one of those days,at least you missed the drenching?

It was so slippery,lost the front end numerous times but finished and definitely earned the pint at the finish.

See debating about MSG tomorrow…maybe bump into you there.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I can’t remember whether it was Dirtyrider or MrBlobby who said “a carbon hard tail will be faster than your Anthem for XCO”

what did you buy?

Kryton57

A Vitus Rapide Carbon 29 1×11 with a BC discount brining it to £1377 from CRC, now upgraded with my AC wheels & KCNC/Mr Zoom bits leaving it approx 22lb. Its rapid but also very comfortable even more than I expected.

Mud Sweat and gears today – got stuck on the start but a massive crash in front of me which I navigated around (I hope everyone is ok, met one bloke who had stitches on site after being sliced by a rotor) but due to the cold I’ve had al week gradually ran out of steam. Finished 28th of 38 which is not great on a track I like (Carver Barracks).

A good day out for the kids as well though with jnr (7yo) come 16 of 32 in the U9 after two hours of coaching. His second race this weekend also and he’s really enjoyed it.

bensales
    Free Member

Midlands XC Round 5 at some random place in Shropshire.

Shit. Both the course and me.

adsh
    Free Member

950tss in the last 7 days, -37tsb and week 1 of 2 week training camp prior to Big Dog has me wimping out of 3hrs tomorrow. I’d barely be able to manage Z2 and Saturdays long ride would suffer in quality. Feels like wiping out….

ferrals
    Free Member

Last of the Welsh series in Aber. tomorrow, anyone else doing it? Pre-entries very low so hoping there’s still an OK turn-out and its not an off-road time trial. Sort of wish I was doing the midlands round instead. New venue though so that will be fun, plus it’s not actually raining at the moment, think the only dry race I’ve had this year has been at Dalby. Seem to have fixed my stomach bug but as SteveB predicted my legs feel like straw sticks.

schmiken

Crashed twice hard on Wednesday and dressings have only come off today. No FNSS yeaterday or Midlands tomorrow, damn.

Right leg looks a real sticky mess 🙁

ferrals
    Free Member

Fantastic course at Aber. Today for the last of the Welsh. Real shame there was a small turnout with only a handful in my race. Came last, got caught in back markers from the previous cat. then crashed on my first lap and it was a time trial for the other 4 laps, still really enjoyed it, nice mix of steep climbing, technical singletrack and fast descents 😀

Just got to heal up before the last BMBS at Cannock now. What’s it like there? Looks like well drained and pretty hard packed? Ralph’s over rons?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Bad luck.

If it’s dry it’s fast and scrabbly, never had any issues with Ralphs there. If it’s wet, it’s like snap based grinding paste and can be pretty slippy.

The natural stone is pretty slick, but the rest is grippy.

wishiwascalledsteve

Are there any XC races/series in or around west yorkshire (within an hours drive of Halifax). Had a look on British Cycling events list but couldn’t find anything. It’ll be my first go at XC racing, so not bothered how big or small the race is.
    Ta

steve_b77
    Free Member

Just like the Northwest, there’s bugger all here bar a few mid week races in the summer.

ferrals
    Free Member

steve_b77 – Member
    Bad luck.

To be honest I didn’t really push it, had a really sh!t week and not just because I had the sh!ts, important day today (thankfully resolving sh!t week) so didn’t want to damage myself/ be a walking zombie. Been a funny season, not been motivated on race days after getting sketched out on a few technical sections, been riding to be safe rather than make places. Roll on cx season when I can forget fear and batter myself into a lactic mess 😆

If it’s dry it’s fast and scrabbly, never had any issues with Ralphs there. If it’s wet, it’s like snap based grinding paste and can be pretty slippy.

The natural stone is pretty slick, but the rest is grippy.

Nice one. Does it drain fast? Looks dry for the week after this deluge passes

mick_r

Are there any XC races/series in or around west yorkshire (within an hours drive of Halifax).

Nutcracker series? It was on a good course at Catterick yesterday (google says 1hr 20min from Halifax). Last one is at Dales MTB Centre in 2 weeks but that is a bit more of a wiggly drive. They’ve done others at Sheffield and Richmond which would be near-ish. We’ve done all of their races as long day-trips from Lancashire without too much pain, made harder with someone always in first and last race of the day….

Midweek Madness was at Lee Quarry a couple of weeks ago – sort of opposite end of Calderdale.

ferrals
    Free Member

BMBS sport cat at Cannock yesterday for me, my last xc race of the season. Great course, though the heat was pretty sapping and the lack of long climbs didn’t really suit me. Very enjoyable to ride and had some close racing for some of it. Ended up getting lapped and finishing a lap down which was a bit gutting, especially as I hadn’t realised I’d been lapped so was pacing myself and then got overtaken right at the end of the lap and didn’t chase hard enough. Felt like my fitness was there but technically not good enough to maintain the gaps I was getting on the climbs/power sections. On the plus side, after a poor start (ploughed into a stump in the start straight) according to roots and rain I made 2 places on the second lap despite a small off, and made two places on the third as well.

Overall, not been the season I’d have liked results wise, while I’ve felt fit, mentally I’ve been struggling with being over cautious. Am just too aware at the moment that I now have a bit more responsibility (1st child on the way) plus a lot to sort out in the house and that a bad crash just isn’t an option. Feel slightly disillusioned that the effort I put in to training never paid off with a reasonable result. On a positive, really enjoyed doing all the bristish series, all the courses have been excellent in different ways, shame about the rain for Fforest fields but been a great variety of venues.

Good to see ‘Everyone’ yesterday too.

snotrag

Are there any XC races/series in or around west yorkshire

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/151761/Middleton-Park-Bike-Hub-MTB-Event

XC racing in Leeds next week. Which brings me to my post – I’ve just entered. Never done a “regular” XC race before. No idea what course is like. Got a heavy-ish but nice 29er hardtail to rude. Any tips? Basically, ride till I think I’m gonna vomit?

schmiken

Damn, hard course at Cannock today at Nationals. The course was super fun, but the heat lead me to be cramping hard on Lap 3 enough to need to get off and massage my legs. Got lapped unfortunately and finished 34th, but I had a great time and had a lot of fun.

For anyone spectating – I was the guy dancing to Greased Lightening as I crossed the line on lap 2!

everyone
    Free Member

Urgh that was a hard race. Guy crashed in front of me at the first corner so I was pretty much last right from the go. Spent about a lap and a half trying to get near someone to race until I decided to go for an aggressive sit down in the bushes. Not recommended. Came dead last (unless you include DNFs), hey ho that’s racing I suppose.

Was good chatting with Ferrals again.

Annoyingly the worst injury I got all weekend was from walking back from the van to grab gels for schmiken in the race, managed to sprain it pretty badly so I’ve now got a really nice fat ankle.

ferrals
    Free Member

Damn, hard course at Cannock today at Nationals. The course was super fun, but the heat lead me to be cramping hard on Lap 3 enough to need to get off and massage my legs. Got lapped unfortunately and finished 34th, but I had a great time and had a lot of fun.

Very much my experience too, course was great, how they managed to make a course that felt like you were descending the entire lap is beyond me, probably due to the super steep ramps. I really struggled with that last narrow singletrack descent, just couldn’t carry speed.

Never did clear the climb after the first a-line, primarily due to traffic. Still made places with my cx experiance of run-ups.

Unlucky everyone. I’m cutting my bars down, narrow trees and wide bars equals crashes for me!

stylish
    Free Member

Evening all,

Just a quick well done to all who raced at Cannock yesterday, was there as part of the BC team and I have to say considering the course was tough, hot and hard to overtake on I thought the behaviour of riders was very good.

having been on duty at Dalby and Cannock I have to say we have some strong talent coming through the ranks, both venues threw up some great racing through each category.

Hopefully I can come back next year and do some more.

ferrals
    Free Member

Nice pic from the last round of the Welsh XC series at Aberwystrth a couple of weeks back:

Was sadly a poorly attended round as course was brilliant, well worth giving it a crack if anyone is relitively close next year. And for the points chasers small fields mean higher chance of points! 😉

Be great to see bigger fields in the welsh events as the courses are all really fun.

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Just a quick note of thanks to all of you who joined us at the SouthernXC this year. We saw loads of new names which is great and people seemed to really enjoy the new venues, even if they will take a little while to bed in.

The series is all wrapped up now and we’re busy planning for 2017 so as soon as I can I’ll let you all know the dates!

Have a great cross season…

Yak

Cheers Adam – great series! We missed the last one but enjoyed the rest. Spot on.

ernie

Adam – great series. I thoroughly enjoyed it, even all the pain stuff that goes with riding xc fast. Looking forwad to 2017, the veterans category and getting Luna racing.

ferrals
    Free Member

Anyone with insider info have any idea when next years national series gets announced? I’m sure last year they announced it in July. Going to have a hectic year next year, and while knowing when they are won’t actually change what i can do.. curiousity makes me want to know! Hoping Pembrey round 1 again!

Kryton57

An interesting day today at Mud Sweat & Gears penultimate round. After suffering badly in Torq 6h I didn’t expect to go well, but actually felt better than I expected with such limited riding and an all-inclusive holiday in August.

Start was OK then got barged into the tape (apology was given later) in a racing incident on the 10% grassy climb which started the lap. Naturally then, I started pretty much at the back and had to wait/work my way around a few people. The ground was hard to very slightly soft so I’d made a good choice changing to Rons yesterday. What I thought was a fairly flat course revealed itself at race pace to be quite hard work with 455m of draggy climbing in 90 mins.

Ended up racing the blokes around me in my overall league table position and beat them so thats a positive, but we had a right ding dong once I’d caught them for 1/2 the race – swapping places, finding each others strengths and weakness and swapping again, it was excellent racing summed up by an all round shake of hands as I took one 1/2 way around the 5th lap and the other on the sprint to the finish.

Disappointed I didn’t get the 6th lap in though, I just seemed to have lost a lot of fitness and pace and was lapped by the leader on the last lap, but we are where we are etc, due to not much riding in August I suspect.

Great stuff, and back in the groove with one to go to finish.

ferrals
    Free Member

Sounds like a good race! My xc season is long gone, but been scoping a potential course to organise a race next year. Pretty flat and need to work out a longer route but excited by this venue, kind of gorricky, loamy bits, lots of roots, one cracking technical descent with lots of rooty steps and off cambers

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 401 total)

The topic ‘2016 XC racing thread.’ is closed to new replies.