Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • 2014 orange alpine 160 reviews?
  • ron70
    Free Member

Wanting to change my bike already, is there any reviews yet of this bike and are they sticking with the 26″ wheel? I hope they are. 😐

edd

Orange appear to be sticking with 26″ wheels. There should be a review in the next issue of Singletrack:
    http://singletrackworld.com/2013/04/fgf-extra-new-orange-alpine-160/

http://wideopenmag.co.uk/news/18522/spotted-orange-alpine-prototype

The one glaring omission is that there is no cable routing for stealth reverb seatposts.

(I’m sure that others will say that the absence of 27″ / 650b wheels is also a major oversight. They are probably correct.)

Looks nice:

kimbers

Dirt recently drilled out an orange 29er? for stealth post

but then complained that when it had to go back for repairs having all the cables left in there was a pita

edd

kimbers – Stealth routing does not force you to use a stealth post. The absence of stealth routing on the other hand either forces you to drill a hole, thus invalidating the warranty, or use a non-stealth post which in my view is unnecessarily untidy.

Northwind

That pink one’s much nicer than the other press shots they set out with the seatpost brace etc, it’s kinda hideous, modern warship stylee

Prefer it to the new Mega, I think the new Orange is just kind of…okay looking. Not ugly.

I hope Orange stick with 26 inch wheels considering loads of the reviewers are saying they can’t tell the difference between 26 and 650 in terms of roll over.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Does that frame even warrant a dropper?

Speeder

What is it that you think a dropper post does Dirk???

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Well you wouldnt be going uphill quickly on that thing anyway so you may aswell save £250 and just use a qr?

seanodav
    Free Member

Isnt an all mountain bike what a dropper is intended for>? im a little confused now by that ^^^

06awjudd
    Free Member

Pleased they went for the straight downtube. Keeps the weight down.

The only reason they kinked the downtube on the five was to satisfy consumer demand for unnecessary (in my opinion) standover height, which seems to be driven by huge American bike manufacturers, that love putting curves on their bikes wherever possible (and because it looks better- to be fair it does) – but this actually made the frame weaker, hence having to use more metal, pushing the weight up.

I know Orange use a monocoque design, not sure if this also applies to hydroformed frames?

tealeith
    Free Member

I like the warship look. I am in the market for a 160mm AM type bike at the moment and suddenly this is at the top of my list.

Other threads that talk about the Alpine seem to indicate that a reasonable build comes in at around 31-32 lbs even with a dropper post. This seems reasonable? All the reviews also seem to say that it climbs (relatively) pretty well too. I haven’t read a bad review to be honest.

I’m off to Whistler at the end of June leaving me with less than 2 months. Anyone know when this new 2014 model actually comes out? What is the supposed difference this year?

What do I do? I can’t even find a new (or used) medium sized “old” Alpine for sale.

WANT ONE!

I_Ache
    Free Member

06awjudd – Member
    Pleased they went for the straight downtube. Keeps the weight down.

The only reason they kinked the downtube on the five was to satisfy consumer demand for unnecessary (in my opinion) standover height, which seems to be driven by huge American bike manufacturers, that love putting curves on their bikes wherever possible (and because it looks better- to be fair it does) – but this actually made the frame weaker, hence having to use more metal, pushing the weight up.

Erm do you mean the top tube?

06awjudd
    Free Member

Erm do you mean the top tube?

Potentially ;).
    How embarrassing – been a long day 😳

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I can’t even find a new (or used) medium sized “old” Alpine for sale.

There’s one on the Orange Website. Under ‘Offers’

(First World) Problem solved

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

It’s quite an achievement to make a bike look that ugly.

The swingarm is a monstrosity.

It better be nothing short of outstanding to ride.

ron70
    Free Member

I actually like the look of it, took me a while to get used to the look of the five but this has a really good aggressive look to it, deffo better without the little brace bit on the top tube though!

chakaping
    Free Member

What do I do? I can’t even find a new (or used) medium sized “old” Alpine for sale.

They only did a 16″ or an 18″, so arguably there wasn’t a medium for some people.

They usually have their bikes on sale pretty quickly after announcing them, give them a bell.

chakaping
    Free Member

They only did a 16″ or an 18″, so arguably there wasn’t a medium for some people.

They usually have their bikes on sale pretty quickly after announcing them, give them a bell.

ddmonkey

Surely you could fit a 650b wheel in the back of this frame if you wanted to? It really isn’t that much bigger..

dan45a
    Free Member

@tealeith – I may have a 2012 alpine 160 frame with ccdb coil for sale shortly. Had very little use.

Size is 16″ which I say is like a medium as all my other bikes have been, I’m just over 5’8″. Tired the 18″ and it was far too big.

tealeith
    Free Member

@dan45a I’m definitely an 18″ frame with Oranges (had an ST4 and a P7 before) at 6 foot, cheers anyway.

@ScottChegg – I’ll have a look at their web site a little closer, thanks.

ron70
    Free Member

They haven’t put it up on their website yet, already checked.maybe june they will

munrobiker
    Free Member

Orange measured a 650b wheel with a 2.2″ tyre and a 26″ tyre with a 2.4″ tyre and there was 6mm difference. So you could fit one if you can’t live with being left behind in the fashion stakes.

diggerb
    Free Member

@teleith I have an 18″ 2011, that due to quite a serious accident (for me) last year “could be” for sale. E mail in profile, if you’re interested. Although I’m in Durham, i have relatives in Sussex that i’ll be visiting at the end of the month

molgrips
    Free Member

Is it really half way between a 5 and the old Patriot?

edd

Orange measured a 650b wheel with a 2.2″ tyre and a 26″ tyre with a 2.4″ tyre and there was 6mm difference. So you could fit one if you can’t live with being left behind in the fashion stakes.

But if I ride a 2.4″ 26″ tyre what is going to suddenly make me want to ride a 2.2″ 650b? I would want to ride the same size tyres…

tealeith
    Free Member

@diggerb – have emailed you as suggested. Hope you are repaired and atleast riding. Let me know re the possible sale, cheers.

ron70
    Free Member

Any more info on when its available to buy?

Dave
    Free Member

The Alpine 160 is tested/reviewed in the next ST mag issue 82…

ron70
    Free Member

oh right, cheers dave.

spectabilis
    Free Member

ron70 – Member

Any more info on when its available to buy?

Within the next week or two . 😉

colin27
    Free Member

You can order one whenever you like, from any Orange dealer. They are due for delivery sometime in mid June but orders can go now. We (Biketreks) have got one on order for a customer already. Spec looks good value for the top model.

diggerb
    Free Member

@teleith. Sorry missed post from 4 days back. No mail received tho’.
    Distinct possibility of sale.
    Broke my back when I fell off at Llandegla. Pinned and screwed and on the mend, but AM doesn’t hold too much appeal for me at present.
    Back riding, gently does it for the time being.
    It’s an 18′ in Sinbad Purple. Maxle r/end & Reverb. It’s a bit overkill for the rail tracks around where I live

tealeith
    Free Member

Diggerb – ouch! Sorry to hear that, hope you’re mending. The mail didn’t bounce so not sure what happened there. I actually took scottchegg’s advice and looked at the one on the Orange website offers page.

Cut a long story short I’ve bought it. A 1 1/2 year old ex demo bike that they said barely went out. It’s got the tapered head tube and 30.9 seat tube. They serviced the shock and bearings and it’s been resprayed neon yellow. The colour is extremely “wow” but seemingly quite IN at the moment? I’m getting used to it…

Immaculate condition, like a brand new bike – even the Fox Van RC shock is spotless and the maxle lever looks new.

Not bad for £1200 which is £500 off new?

Just need some 160 forks now!

cubemeup
    Free Member

Looks like a sc heckler to me

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

I bet it descends way better than a Heckler.

godzilla
    Free Member

New Alpine specs and prices are on the Orange site, 2 specs one cheap and one steep..
    it is a bit Heckler esque.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘2014 orange alpine 160 reviews?’ is closed to new replies.