Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 2011 MAVIC crossride disc , screech from freewheel
  • Norbie
    Free Member

Just wondered has anybody else experienced this ,
    I get an intermittant high pitch screech from my freewheel ,like a very dry bearing noise,.I have stripped off the freewheel greased it all,even replaced the outer bearing on the freewheel but still does it but only when freewheeling down offroad descents at about 15mph plus ,I cannot get noise on road descents or by spinning wheel with bike upside down .Iam a bit stumped any ideas ?
    thanks

neninja
    Free Member

Are you sure it’s not the pads rubbing the disc?

If the bearings are on the way out there might be a bit of play allowing the pads to contact the disc.

Dan67
    Free Member

Ahh I had this aswell on my old crossrides especially when back pedaling or free wheeling like you say . I think its the freewheel itself because when I replaced that it seemed to stop for a while

andytherocketeer

Ah sounds like mine. Makes a horrible screesh and the chain goes slack, as if the freehub is dragging (must be much more resistance than the rear mech tension). Thought it was the freehub, but inside was sparkling clean. Thought it was the rubber/ptfe seal, but that is perfect too. What I did notice is the axle is bent, but only very very fractionally. I found a tiny swarf of metal inside, but no idea where from. All bearings are perfect. But the resistance caused by everything when the freehub is put back on is imho far too high. Worked fine for about 50km after relubing, then started again.

I just replaced the wheel.

crispybacon
    Free Member

as above I had the same noise on mine. Changed all the bearings & lubed/greased everything so far no noise ………. hmm probably just jinxed that then 😕

rickmeister

I had this too. The cassette had a lot of movement on it as well. There is a large white nylon washer in the free hub body and this had worn. A kit from America arrived pretty quickly and was easily fitted. Its also half the price of a free hub body. Check ebay for these kits. This sorted it. Also, check that the axle is just nipped up, not too much as this crushes the bearings and causes drag. I dont lube the pawls, just a thin grease on this nylon bearing.

HTH

rickmeister

And there is a “how to do the job” vid on facetube….

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Your freehub has had it. Take it back to the shop, it’s a warranty job. I’ve been through a couple.

Norbie
    Free Member

Thanks everyone ,some good points that I will try ,this has obviously been an issue ,I think I will get onto mavic to see what they have to say .thanks again

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

The screeching is a symptom that the the nylon bush is running dry, and that you’ve not lubed your freehub in a long time

Biggest problem is that you’ve used grease to lube it, its the wrong stuff, and will kill your wheel quickly.

Take it apart, strip all the grease off, relube liberally with light mineral oil as instructed in the youtube video, and it should be fine, (if its not been permanently damaged already…)

ChrisE
    Free Member

I had this. Changed bearings, still did it, changed the plastic bush, still did it, finally changed the pawls and that fixed it. I reckon that when they wear a lot, the spring pushes the pivot end of the pawl up into the notched internal surface of the outer which is the noise you hear.

Easy to fix anyway.

And the new type pawls ‘snap’ in so they would never do it again anyway.

C

Norbie
    Free Member

Thanks Guys, thats great I will strip ,clean, re lube with mineral oil and fit new pawls ……..fingers crossed

singlespeedstu

I had the same noise on a Mavic Speedcity.
    Oiled the white nylon bush and it’s not done it again.

ChrisE
    Free Member

I have finally fixed this connundrum. Well I didnt but that very nice man the Hub Doctor did. Read his message to me (below), it is all very clear now!

I have stripped out the advertising links so that the mods don’t get a grump on (again)

Hi Chris,
    I have a solution to the worn out rear hubs and plastic bushings. First the
    reason that it howls while coasting is due to the excess clearance around
    the bushing and journal. The freehub \ cassette assembly is much like a
    spinning top while coasting. When the plastic bushing is worn it allows the
    cassette to wobble. When it (the bushing) lands on the hub it rings the
    cassette assembly. The horizontal gouges in the hub snout are the result of
    the freehub ratchet contacting the hub while you are pedaling and the
    cassette is stationary with the hub. Your hubs are worn too severely to
    replace the bushing. Besides the bushing journal is smaller than the outer
    hub snout so there is no way to assembly it.
    Regarding the pawls, it could be that new springs temporarily alter the
    harmonics of the freehub. Two extra sprigs are included in case they are
    lost during assembly and not to mount extras.

The solution is the HubDoctor Pro kit. It replaces the inner bushing with a
    hybrid ceramic ball bearing that will give years of service. It mounts
    behind the worn shoulder in your hub. Complete instructions are included.
    Your freehub will function like new again. I can invoice you $39
    each directly with Paypal and ship Priority US postal for $13.25 (up to 5
    kits) or first class 1 kit for $6.25 or two kits for $9.50 usd.
    To view the kits please review this link.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    You will notice that the kit fits both road and MTB and Campy or Shimano
    style Mavic freehubs. The outer freehub bearing is also included.
    If you would like to convert to Hybrid ceramic wheel bearings with Si3N4
    ceramic balls and chrome steel races I can provide these for $26 each for
    both front and rear wheels. You get 4 bearings (since you allready have the
    outer freehub bearing included in the kit). These are very good quality
    have are not prone to seizing due to rust.

Thanks for the great pictures!
    Best Regards and Happy New Year,
    Jeroen Bosboom, HubDoctor LLC

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘2011 MAVIC crossride disc , screech from freewheel’ is closed to new replies.