Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 2010 Pitch – few questions
  • Nonsense
    Free Member

I have a 2008 Marin Mount Vision which I have ended up beefing up a bit. I'm trying to decide wether to buy a slightly burlier longer travel frame (Orange 5, Yeti 575 something like that). Or buy a Pitch Pro and stick some bigger forks on. So does the 2010 Pitch have 150mm or 140mm travel at the back (website and reviews aren't clear)? Does it tend to size up big, small? How does it ride with Fox 36's on it? What is the kind of weight for a stock medium bike?

Spank you very much.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Pitches have always had 150mm travel and 140mm Pikes. I have sized down with my pitch because it is a larking about kind of bike. I'm 6' so should be on a large (and would be if I were buying a stumpy or indeed a mount vision) but I ride a medium and its fine even for long days out.

And as for putting 36s on one they are fantastic. The bike rides much better with the floats than it did with the Pikes.

Grum from here has 36 vans on his Flamejob has 36 talas and you will probably find they both say the same about the forks as I am.

grumm
    Free Member

It's 6 inches which is pretty much 150mm

They size up quite big, they are fairly long. I'm 5'7-8 ish and the medium suited me but the small would have been ok too.

I have 36 vans on mine and I think it's bloody amazing – does get fairly wandery up hills but I can still manage most climbs as well as anyone else I ride with.

Stock weight is around 31 lbs apparently but I've never weighed mine.

Dylan08
    Free Member

Shouldnt it be the Specialized 'Mondeo'? 😉

AdeC
    Free Member

totally agree with Grum and I_A. Pitch with 36s = excellent. I havent a clue what the mondeo comment is about

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I test rode the enduro they were based on, the large is veryyyyyyyyy long (I'm 6ft with stumpy legs), even the medium felt more like a DH race bike than the freeride bike people keep claiming it is.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Dylan its more of an Octavia

shoei
    Free Member

Stock weight is around 31 lbs apparently but I've never weighed mine.

Yours must be lighter than that. My KHS is 31lbs and after lifting your bike to put it on the roof of the car it was a lot lighter than the KHS and having that little ride a medium would do me and im 6' 2"ish.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Stock wheels and forks are very heavy so even upgrading to 721s on pro 2s will save weight.

nosedive
    Free Member

I bought a 2008 pitch and spent a lot of time deciding between medium and large. Eventually went for a large (I'm 6 foot) and dropped to a 40mm stem. Its a great bike. If I have one disappointment it's that the wheelbase is so long that I think a set of Fox 36 would probably ruin the bike by making the wheelbase even longer. l_ache is right, the wheels are crap and mine lasted 6 months before I put a nice set of pro2 \ ZTR arch on it

grumm
    Free Member

Yours must be lighter than that. My KHS is 31lbs and after lifting your bike to put it on the roof of the car it was a lot lighter than the KHS and having that little ride a medium would do me and im 6' 2"ish.

Really? I never lifted your bike but I assumed it would be heavier. You quite liked the look of my Pitch didn't you. 🙂

nosedive the reviews I read suggested that the L size wheelbase was too long and the geometry was a little wrong compared to the smaller sizes. The medium is just fine with 36s on. They are almost exactly the same weight as the Pikes were as well.

I upgraded the wheels also – got Hope Hoops with Flow rims on there now which are fantastic.

bol

I run 150 revs on mine, which I keep wound down to 140 most of the time. I'm sure it rides fine with a 160 fork, but I find it a bit to imprecise for the riding I do most of the time on it.

As others have said, they are about 31lbs stock, but I've got my large down under 30lbs without going too mad, and it's still prety burley.

I'd echo what others have said about sizing. I 6ft4 and happy on a size large.

I_Ache
    Free Member

If you get one and want longer forks I know somebody who has a pair of 66s that work fantastically on a Pitch. 😉

grumm
    Free Member

Seems like a reasonable excuse to post a pic 🙂

shoei
    Free Member

Really? I never lifted your bike but I assumed it would be heavier. You quite liked the look of my Pitch didn't you.

Watching the way it had no problems what so ever on the downhills and seemed to float over the rough stuff, too right i was eyeing it up 😉

Fork upgrade on my KHS end of the year all being well, should sort the front end out.

grumm
    Free Member

Oi that was my wikkid awsum skillz not the bike! 😉

Yup some decent forks will make a massive difference – they looked pretty basic.

st

My Pitch Comp did me well for most of last year with an air shock and Coil Lyriks, a bit heavier than somethign that weighs less but pretty good up and ace down.

I went for a medium despite being a shade over 6' tall and although it was a teeny bit short for regular riding it made it acerer for descending. Did me just fine for a weeks uppy downy riding in and around Verbier last Summer.

I've now built up a 456 for general stuff so made the leap to convert the Pitch into a more DH dedicated bike.

I_Ache
    Free Member

st are those 66s set at 170?

I never got round to trying mine with that much travel because I need to ride uphill on it too.

How does it ride now?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Pitches are rated for 140-160mm forks, and, being a Specialized, are long and low to the ground. This is why people like to size down a bit. That said, I'm 5'8" and find my medium spot on. The wheelbase is long but the cockpit area is surprisingly short in comparison, IMO. I tried a shorter stem but didn't like it. They do benefit from some wider bars though.

I've just switched my (09 model) coil Pikes for coil Lyriks, and it's just like the same bike but, MORE, if you know what I mean. We went riding in the Dales last weekend and I did some pretty big climbs and descents on it, and it was perfect. I can wind the forks down for climbing but even when I didn't it was OK really.

The 09 Pitches came with rather weedy DT rims (Same width as a 717) but the '10 models have beefier wheels, which will suit the bike a lot more IMO. I've built some Sun SOS rims onto Hope hubs (36 spoke, plain gauge rear wheel) changed the bars, saddle, brakes (Magura Louise) fitted double and bash and usually use flat pedals which suit the bike more IMO. The Lyriks are superb, and I'd say a longer fork of any make would be a great upgrade. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ohh, just had a look at the pic of STs Comp – I see you have a coil shock – What shock is it, a DHX or a Vanilla? Does it make a big difference to the ride? I've been thinking of one of those myself… 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

Grum that's a well sorted Pitch there!

st

l_ache, they are 66s at 180mm, headtube hasn't snapped off yet ;o0

PeterPoddy, I fitted the DHX4 before going mad with the single ring and big forks, did a Lakes ride and a few shorter local rides on it and it was ok. I bought it thinking I could upgrade to a Ti spring when money allowed. The feel was great albeit a bit bobby on climbs but it was like that with the X-Fusion shock it came with originally. I prefer the feel of coil shocks to air having tried the same on a Heckler I had a while back. Worth the extra weight on a bike like this I reckon.

I've no reason to think the stock Alex rimmed wheels where likely to fail but I had some wheels with Sun SAS rims from another bike and went off Shimano cup and cone hubs a long while back so swapped the wheels over.

It's had 710mm bas since I got the bike and they are ace, 50mm stem fitted from new too which is a bit short for longer rides but not for having fun on.

I like the Pitch a lot. It's great fun built up as pictured but I now know that if (when) I have a change of heart I can swap some stuff around and turn it back into a more regular riding bike. Versatile is the way I'd describe it, compromised is what other STW users might say.

grumm
    Free Member

Grum that's a well sorted Pitch there!

Cheers. 🙂

Spent quite a while/quite a bit of cash getting it just how I want it. It absolutely flies down hills, I love it.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘2010 Pitch – few questions’ is closed to new replies.