Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 2009 Prophet & Lyrik Fork
  • Bludgeon
    Free Member

Hi,

I'm thinking about replacing my Prophet's 140mm Pike 454 with a friend's 160mm Lyrik.

Anyone tried this or have an opinion on it? 20mm shouldn't stress the frame too much should it?

Cheers

Andrew.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

was thinking the same today but magura wotans to replace the thors

markd
    Free Member

get it done.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

The official line from Cannondale is a max fork length of 530mm, which includes the bottom headset cup. I'm running Fox 36s reduced to 140mm travel, axle to crown height of 525mm, plus a lower headset cup of about 12mm, so I'm a little bit over. Pikes at 140mm are 517mm a2c, so with an external lower cup probably come in just under the magic 530mm.

Do you really want it that slack? Are the Lyrics U-turn?

Terry – have you signed for the Pigs yet, or what?

DeeW
    Free Member

Mate of mine runs Lyriks on his older Prophet, probably had them on there for at least a year without problems, but then he is a bit of a mincer.

Think he runs them at about 145mm for most stuff, up to 160mm for rougher descents.

BTW: i was just joking on the mincer bit hoping he's reading: he's actually given it a fair bit of stick.

RLB
    Free Member

Similar question, my girlfriend has been running a Marz AM 140mm fork with her Prophet rear shock set in the FR position, she digs the slacker angle but has always had issues with the low BB and wouldn't mind a bit more travel if it will not mess up the ride

My idea was to put on a 2009 Marz 55 160mm we have laying around (a2c 540mm) with a head set we have that does not extend out the bottom of the head tube (zero stack or internal FSA, dont know what they are called?)

I know the max fork length of her prophet is 530mm but she is only 115 pounds… I figure if the stress with a 530mm fork is safe for me at 215lbs then 540mm should be less for a 110 pound rider (sound logical?)

My question is when running a longer fork in the XC setting will her head tube angle be about the same as the shorter fork in FR? how do you measure HT angle?

thanks

cynic-al
    Free Member

At the risk of repeating myself ad nauseum, I can't see how the extended fork length itself is an issue other in than in respect of what it says about how you ride. Backed up by Jeff Steber in mba letters recently. Max force on the frame is when the fork is compressed.

As for 530mm, fair enough if they want to put a number to it, if that's meant to be meaningful then I am Elvis!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

cynic-al, are they not thinking max extension = max leverage in the extreme scenario where you ride into a vertical/square edged obstacle such that the fork doesnt compress?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

the prophet MX had an extra gusset, so maybe they did have failiures when testing the standard prohet with big forks?

add an inch to the fork and run the shock in XC position will give the same HA(ish) and a 1"(ish) higher BB.

cynic-al
    Free Member

MC – how often does that happen?

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Also if you ride into a solid object and the fork doesnt compress (ie wall/lamppost/car etc) The frame breaking is the least of your worries ime.

RLB
    Free Member

"add an inch to the fork and run the shock in XC position will give the same HA(ish) and a 1"(ish) higher BB."

Thats what I was hoping, she likes the slacker angle just dont want to go to far…. we looked at some more "freeride" type bikes for her but at only 110 pounds the 40+ pounds bikes where not working out.

"Also if you ride into a solid object and the fork doesnt compress (ie wall/lamppost/car etc) The frame breaking is the least of your worries ime."

LOL

thanks for the help and the timing on this thread was perfect

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

cynic, not saying it happens often, only offering it as a potential explanation as to why frame manufacturers specify max fork length as its an example where force is applied to the frame via the fork at maximum extension.

swift, a frame manufacturer wont give a sh1t what other worries you have if you cycle into a car/wall/lamp post, but he will if you snap his frame at the time and sue him. Damage limitation on their part.

Only a frame manufacturer can really answer it (dont a few frequent STW?…)

MattF

It made me laugh that when I measured the forks that came on my Prophet (Pikes) plus the big thick lower headset race they use so that the crown and dials clear the downtube the combined length exceeded that quoted on the warning sticker on the down tube.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘2009 Prophet & Lyrik Fork’ is closed to new replies.