Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 2 x 10 setup – what ratios do people use?
  • Yardley_Hastings
    Free Member

I fancy a bit of a change and am thinking of giving a 2 x 10 set up a try on my XC race bike (Rocky Mountain Element). Racing is everything from Thetford (flat and fast) to solo 24s (sloooooow)

What ratios do people find work?

I was thinking 40/28 on the front and 11 – 36 on the back.

cheers

Matthew

sambob
    Free Member

Sounds good to me, although I’d have 26/38 and 11-36 because it’s hilly here and I’m not particularly fit. Tried the New XT 2×10 the other week and it’s flippin’ brilliant btw.

mrmo
    Free Member

running 40×26 ( i think it is a 26 might be a 28) 40 is ok most of the time, but i have run out of gears sprinting.

continuity
    Free Member

How can you struggle with a 28 front and need a 26 when you have a THIRTY SIX at the back? I don’t understand.

I thought I was being lazy by going 1×9 with a 34t front.

sambob
    Free Member

Never said I struggled with it, just said I’d have a 26. Climbs here are steep and can go on for ages, so I’ll go with what works for me if that’s alright with you?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

continuity – Member

How can you struggle with a 28 front and need a 26 when you have a THIRTY SIX at the back? I don’t understand.

I thought I was being lazy by going 1×9 with a 34t front.

Boys and girls, its Cadel Evans. 🙄

How are things these days Cadel.

njee20
    Free Member

28/40 or 28/42 with 11-36. Although I’d go 1×10 for everything bar 24 solos.

ask1974
    Free Member

I run 40/28 and 11/36 mixed XT/XTR on my Five and it’s pretty much perfect. The only negative I find is that first gear is quite big when compared to triple set ups, I have to agree with Sambob here, on very steep climbs it reminds me that I need to weigh less, get fitter and try harder…

My bike is built for fun at just under 30lbs so if you’re aiming for XC use then the lighter bike will make this ratio pretty much perfect IMO.

shortcut

30, 40 and 11 – 36 on a 29er!

Yardley_Hastings
    Free Member

I thought everyone would come back with ’emporers new clothes’ looks like its a winner.

Njee – spent 6 hours at thetford in a 44 once, the advent of children has increased the wear on the middle ring….

j40aja
    Free Member

I’ve got the new XT on my xc hardtail and running 28/40 on the front and a 11/34 cassette.

Suits me perfectly and only once felt like I needed a 36 at the back, was feeling really tired that day for no obvious reason.

footflaps

I use 29/44 with a road cassette on the back, 11-27, but then I’m used to SSing, so anything lower than 2:1 seems really easy.

Konastoner
    Free Member

I use 26/36 with 11-32, seems to do all i need.

njee20
    Free Member

Njee – spent 6 hours at thetford in a 44 once, the advent of children has increased the wear on the middle ring….

Not quite sure of the relevance of that, wasn’t suggesting a 44t single. I run 36t with 11-36 and find it great for racing.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘2 x 10 setup – what ratios do people use?’ is closed to new replies.