Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 2 Punctured car tyres…
  • wingnut31
    Free Member

Had some long standing roadworks going on in the town where I live, they started in the new year. Basically they have ripped away the tarmac as they do before resurfacing but have left it as it is leaving all the drains, manhole covers etc exposed / raised. I have to travel through these twice a day and last Thursday caught the metal edge of one of them with both front and rear tyres while driving through, car coming the other way meant I couldn’t avoid it as I normally do.. So I have had to get two new Tyres, the question is do I have any grounds for giving the company responsible the bill for the damage or am I wasting my time.. Any one else been in a similar situation ? Cheers..

jam-bo

Driving to fast for the conditions then?

Prestivo tyres have a warranty, I put a screw through a one month old one and only paid 20% of the cost of a new one.

skinnysteel
    Free Member

If it’s resurfacing your first port of call should be the Highway Authority. Have they got warning signs up: ‘Warning – raised ironwork’, or something similar. Should have. If not then I’d certainly expect them to cough up.

davidjones15
    Free Member

Speak to a lawyer.

crikey
    Free Member

long standing roadworks
    I have to travel through these twice a day

It sounds like you were very much aware of the road conditions and to destroy not one but two tyres would seem to suggest to me that a certain amount of user error was involved. However, it would seem that the old compensation culture has become firmly embedded in the UK, so claim away…

sharkbait
    Free Member

So you’ve been travelling down this bit of road twice a day for 8 weeks, you knew the obstacle was there but you didn’t stop when there was a car coming the other way and you’ve now got two punctures and you think it’s someone else fault?
    Are you serious?

Day, beaten to it!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’m just going through this process with a local council here.

By LAW they are supposed to chamfer the raised ironworks to allow easy passage of vehicles – so whether you were driving too fast for conditions or not, they’re still in the wrong, but they’ll argue that if you choose to claim.

In my case they’d not bothered with signage either and left 60+mm sharp metalwork exposed in an NSL road.

crikey
    Free Member
    coffeeking
    Free Member

It sounds like you were very much aware of the road conditions and to destroy not one but two tyres

To be fair, without seeing how they drove through it’s hard to judge either way. But car tyres are not designed for driving over sharp edges repeatedly, at any speed, and eventually you’ll damage the carcass. It’s plain laziness and lack of use of agreed national safety standards on the part of the council if the raised metalwork was not protected by chamfers of tarmac.

falkirk-mark

I claimed for hitting a pothole beside a drain that was previously reported (tanker turning and headlights obscured vision plus I had to stay well over my side of the road) that was from a port authority as opposed to council, I would say go for it. I did need photos of damaged tyre plus receipts.(got paid out)
    take no notice of people saying you were aware as you travelled twice a day as the road should be decent enough condition if you have never travelled it.

crikey
    Free Member

In all seriousness, yes, I agree that you can be surprised by objects in the road, but still….come on… Cars have great big glass windows so you can see out, and have brakes and steering wheels so you can negotiate any obstacles that you may encounter.

Not to worry, it’ll go on everyone elses council tax.

wingnut31
    Free Member

Thanks for the sensible answers, it is in a 30 mile an hour zone and I was doing about 10 miles an hour when this happened, you couldn’t do more than that anyway as it’s like a rock garden there with all the rough raised surfaces. There are many not just one of these raised ironworks in the road, and there are signs to tell you they are there. The problem is that the offending manhole cover was protruding nearly 2 inches above the road surface with no tarmac sloping up to its corner, there had been, but it was not being checked on a daily basis and had worn away leaving a sharp metal edge that caught the outer side wall of both tyres. I have the tyres in the garage as proof, and I was the second person who had been to the same tyre fitter that day from the same section of roadworks…

coffeeking
    Free Member

Not to worry, it’ll go on everyone elses council tax.

Indeed, everyone paying for the road normal repairs is now going to have to pay again because the council workers didn’t do their job properly. They should be livid at the council for leaving the roads in that state.

FWIW crikey I used to have the same opinion as you, but through absolutely no fault of my own I’ve now had to replace two shock absorbers, 2 alloys, 2 tyres and 2 springs on 2 different cars. None of which I wanted to do, none of which I had any chance to avoid, purely because the councils were too damn lazy to repair things they knew were faulty LONG in advance on major roads.

wingnut31
    Free Member

Cheers coffeeking, hope you resolve your issues with the council. So far it’s cost me £160 for two tyres, if they were nearing the end of their life I would not be that bothered but they had not long been put on the car..

slownorm
    Free Member

Jesus there are some pr1cks on this site.
    I don’t suppose the poor guy went looking for the sharp edges just to get a claim!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘2 Punctured car tyres…’ is closed to new replies.