Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • 1yr olds – ideas for breakfast
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So – our girls have moved on from baby porridge and seem to like Weetabix.

However, Weetabix has similar properties to wallpaper paste and is damn messy.

Anyone have any recommendations for low/no sugar and salt cereals.

We have tried shreddies and mini shredded wheat which they aren’t fussed on, but they do like Cheerios.

We also give them toast with butter and a bit of jam. Occasionally (if I have time) I make them pancakes.

Ideas please!

yunki
    Free Member

hmm.. our little rugrat just loves the shreddies..

are one year olds big enough for boiled egg and soldiers yet..?

uluru
    Free Member

Porridge? – just normal stuff but made quite thick to minimise mess.

Eggy bread soldiers

carbon337
    Free Member

Sausage sarnie with black pudding?

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

My eldest really liked hard boiled eggs at about a year. Also, toast, bagels, potatoes waffles (possibly salty, not for everyday).

Cheerios (preferably dry) are a pretty good staple though.

philconsequence
    Free Member

what a disappointing thread… i read:

1yr olds – ideal for breakfast

grannygrinder
    Free Member

Scrambled egg, seconds in the microwave

sssimon
    Free Member

big fan of cheerios in our house at 14months but other cereals are hit and miss, will eat shreddies some days, porridge if he’s in the mood and rice krispies too

scrambled egg is a favorite too and easy to eat for him on his own, he’s not a fan of someone else feeding him

doc_blues
    Free Member

my boy alternates between weetabix, shreddies and museli (but he is 2.5 now – the non sugared Alpen). He also likes proper porridge – ie good jumbo oats, but calls it ‘daddy porridge’ which just sounds a bit wrong….

eggy bread, scrambled egg on toast etc is always a hit too.
    toast and lemon curd
    toast and honey (they should be old enough to eat it now?)

as was chocolate, until I forbade his gran from ever feeding him chocolate for breakfast again…and she wonders why our family has a weight issue!

uluru
    Free Member

Cheerios are full of sugar though aren’t they? At least I really like them and my cereal preferences are directly proportional to the amount of sugar in the cereal. 🙂

kcr
    Free Member

Porridge. Cheap, easy to prepare in the microwave and healthier than any processed breakfast cereal. Mash it up with a banana for an even better breakfast.
    Sticks to the spoon, so great for babies learning to feed themselves.

Shandy
    Free Member

Chopped fresh fruit
    Fruit pouches – not so fresh but she likes feeding herself
    Different Pancakes (Annabel Karmel (sp?) books have good recipes
    Shreddies
    Cheerios
    Toast with butter, jam or honey.

Most of it ends up in the dog anyway, she doesn’t like breakfast.

s
    Free Member

Banana’s

Honey on toast

whatever is on your plate 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

he’s not a fan of someone else feeding him

That’s where we are now – they prefer (and so do we ‘cos it’s easier on us) to feed themselves but as you can imagine, it gets messy.

Rice crispies sounds a good idea. I am sure porridge will just give us the same problem as weetabix (ie mess). Also we have tried ready brek (not the same I know) but thye weren’t keen on it with no sugar in and I don’t want to be adding it.

Cheerios are full of sugar though aren’t they?

Surprisingly not.
    Kellogg’s Special K – 4 grams
    Cheerios – 1 gram
    :-O

molgrips
    Free Member

Just give them proper breakfast food! There’s nothing they can’t be eating at that age. Whatever breakfast food they like.

Were you feeding them pure baby porridge? Seems really old to be eating that.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

whatever is on your plate

Yes this works… Gave them some jam on toast last week and made some IDENTICAL for myself. They wouldn’t eat the bits I gave them but were happily eating mine.

So I had theirs.

🙂

djglover
    Free Member

cheerios are 24% refined sugar, Shreddies are not far behind.

Ours have Shreddies and won’t touch shredded wheat.

Toast and Bagels are also a big hit

Davy
    Free Member

Dried apricots?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

cheerios are 24% refined sugar, Shreddies are not far behind.

From this they don’t appear to be
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/breakfast-cereals/1522/2

1.1g per serving of 28g (so approx 3.5%)

molgrips
    Free Member

MF that’s the US page – US cheerios are different.

This UK page says that they are 21% sugar. Although that does not specify refined or otherwise. There may be some honey or natural sugars from the grains involved?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Fair enough – I am not keen on them having them anyway as I know they have sugar in and trying to avoid it where we can (apart from occasional treats).

mrsgrips
    Free Member

We’ve been having toast, fruit and yogurt here… It’s tough trying to find things which are quick and easy to clean up I agree.

I offer 2 choices, the cereal or the toast typically. If she doesn’t eat it I just know she’ll eat more for lunch. We often have slices of ham or sausages when we’re away.

miketually
    Free Member

+1 for “whatever you’re having”

That’s what ours had for every meal.

Jerome
    Free Member

Shredded wheat – healthy but a bit dry..

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I must admit I can barely eat shredded wheat so I can’t expect the girls to eat it 🙂

At breakfast we generally don’t eat together so “whatever you’re having” doesn’t work for us. And when we are eating at the same time we both have weetabix covered in sugar so they ain’t having that anyway!

So so far I have rice crispies to try – there must be something else!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I cant believe your even considering feeding them grains and carbs. Have you not read this?

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/idiet

As a parent you should be more responsible for your childrens health. You should be making them spinach & salami omlettes

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I shall bear that in mind. Thank you.

🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

My 14 month old likes eggy bread, boiled egg with toast, rice crispies, porridge, fruit, Quorn sauasges, baked beans, fried mushrooms, toasted fruit bread. Basically everything I like for breakfast.

woody2000

Jnr W2k has porridge or weetabix, low on milk so it’s nice and sticky on the spoon.

Then he has whatever mum and dad are having 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Thanks Mister P for that.

Not sure how it helps answer my question, but I am sure it makes you feel rightfully superior than me and my wife in our attempts at dealing with our children.
    🙄

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

low on milk so it’s nice and sticky on the spoon.

Yeah we do that – nice and gooey, but they do like to make lots of mess still. 🙂

woody2000

Don’t worry about the mess would be my advice! Seriously though, we bought a VERY cheap shower curtain from somewhere, then just cut it into a suitable size to stick under his nibs chair. He makes as much mess as he likes, then we just brush of the excess onto the “mat” and straight into the bin.

Either that or start leaving for work a bit earlier 🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

Not sure how it helps answer my question, but I am sure it makes you feel rightfully superior than me and my wife in our attempts at dealing with our children.

I apologise for not reading your question fully, I was merely giving ideas on breakfast and missed your caveat on feeding them what you perceive to be good for them.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Don’t worry about the mess would be my advice! Seriously though, we bought a VERY cheap shower curtain from somewhere,

Yeah we have an off-cut of table protector on the floor but it isn’t just that that gets the mess – it gets all over them and their clothes too.

Either that or start leaving for work a bit earlier

Who? Me? Never? 😉

miketually
    Free Member

At breakfast we generally don’t eat together so “whatever you’re having” doesn’t work for us.

We’ve always made a point of having breakfast together. It does mean I have to get up at 5:30 to go for a run before my wife gets up at 6:15 to walk the dogs, so we can all sit down together for breakfast at 7. Writing it down, it’s clear that it’s a silly thing to do 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Mister P – Member

I apologise for not reading your question fully, I was merely giving ideas on breakfast and missed your caveat on feeding them what you perceive to be good for them.

POSTED 15 SECONDS AGO # REPORT-POST
    🙂 – sorry I was a bit rash in that response – it came across a bit arsey didn’t it! Sorry.

RAPID-RIDER
    Free Member

As a fellow twin dad of 15month olds I can say no matter what food or how good the food is it seems to stick more in their hair in the morning when you are trying to get out the door to work! RR

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Misundestood the thread title
    being young, I thought they’d be tender, so frying them gently would probably do.

grievoustim
    Free Member

i’ve had US cheerios

they are not as nice – taste really salty

TBH – mess comes with the territory . I think anything will make a mess so let them eat what they like and is reasonably healthy

tonyd

We chop up fruit and add it to Weetabix, once it’s gone a bit soggy whack it in the micro for 30 seconds. Raspberry, blackberry, blueberry, banana, whatever is in the fridge, he nearly 11 months and loves it.

He has toast with butter and jam or dairylea as a mid morning snack. He’s quite into scrambled eggs now too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘1yr olds – ideas for breakfast’ is closed to new replies.