• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by ben.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 1st ride in Singapore
  • ben
    Free Member

Just back from 1st (road) ride in Singapore. Good fun but heat & humidity a killer! Going to take some getting used to. Mountain bike should arrive next week to enable some proper riding. 😉

Headed up to where you can ferry across to an island for some mtb, lot’s of folk around and some seriously bling bikes. Spotted one for the retrobike fans: Alpinestars Ti Mega!

Worth the 6am start, now to the pool.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Enjoy

rOcKeTdOg

PIctures next time please!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    boblo
    Free Member

I had 18 months on secondment there a few years back. Mostly ran but had a few trips over to Pulau Ubin and another island where all old Singaporean taxis go to die (name escapes me now). There’s some good stuff over in JB but you’ll probably need a car.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Was out there over Christmas.

As you say the humidity is stupifying and it will take you quite a few weeks to acclimatise. I found it best to go out at first light.

My brother in law hooked me up with an ex pat who rides mtb for Team Cannasia and I did a fair bit of mtb riding out at Bukit Timah NR. There’s a Trail centre / Visitor centre with a waymarked mtb circuit – takes around 30 – 40 mins to do the marked loop. This can be varied on subsequent circuits as there are some minor loops diverting off the main path.

Also loads of unmarked / cheeky stuff with some surprisingly technical terrain but you really need someone with local knowledge to show you where. Slighty surreal / initially a bit spooky sharing the trail with the Monkeys, Snakes and Monitor Lizards 😉

Found the road riding pretty dangerous and unenjoyable tbh and there are a very high number of serious accidents involving cars / bikes. You’ll see loads of them streaking through the lights on amber and red. Out there the car is a huge status thing and despite the sophisticated transport network none of it’s been designed with bikes in mind.

Drop in to these guys and I’m sure they can hook you up with local road / mtb rides:

http://cannasia.com/

ben
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips boblo & Heather, will be sure to drop in on Cannasia.

Cheers
    Ben

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘1st ride in Singapore’ is closed to new replies.