Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • 18 speed gearbox
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Presumably thats the smallest/most compact we’re ever going to see? So hopefully it might get addopted as a ‘standard’?

billysan
    Free Member

You’d hope so. You could argue that a Rohloff dropout is a standard too, yet for how long they have been out (OEM type 1&2 dropouts) there are still only a handfull of frames available. This would totally change the game as it would need new jigs, tubesets, machining work etc etc.

I imagine Nicolai will accomodate it, maybe Alutech. I cant see it ever really catching on with the BIG ‘American’ brands.

Edited to say I hope they left enough width to fit a belt drive chainring in there!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Trek have a belt drive commuter?

I think there’ll be an element of everyone saying:

“I’ll buy it………….when the MK2 comes out”

Just so many litle parts to go horribly wrong, at least with a mech its well understood, and if it fails going singlespeed is no big deal.

SSB_UK
    Free Member

The gear box cable entry needs more work to my eye – being so close to the crank arm and the path of the pedalling foot could expose it to damage and being a prestige part it’s not going to be something you can take to your LBS and get fixed in a jiffy. I quite like the idea though.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Presumably thats the smallest/most compact we’re ever going to see?

i hope not, i’d like to see something alfine sized built into an oversized bb, would be easy for all frame manufacturers to adapt their current range, would be more conventional looking and in my opinion be more pleasing on the eye.

on saying that, this looks like a step in the right direction though i’d prefer a rapid fire shifter and single cable (or two cables within one outer???) 🙂

billysan
    Free Member

One incorporated into a full sus

billysan
    Free Member

The left crank obviously does clear too, look at the crank position in this pic:

It would have fouled her if it was going to. Obviously the cranks have more clearance than they apear to.

molgrips
    Free Member

No, you can shift a motorbike without the clutch, its doesnt do it any good nececeraly, but it does work.

Only at certain revs, no?

And Trek do do a belt drive commuter bike with Alfine and hub brakes. Brilliant bit of kit. Zero maintenence apart from the cables, and even then you could fit ride-on. The ultimate commuter bike.

Oh and it comes with frame-coloured mudguards and a bottle cage that contains a custom steel thermal coffee mug. How cool is that?! 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

At any revs molgrips. You can even use a “quickshifter” that makes it even easier – all you need is to take the load off the box. As the load comes off all the backlash which is always there with gears creates a moment where there is no pressure on the gears and the change can be made without damage or force.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘18 speed gearbox’ is closed to new replies.