Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 135mm / 150mm rear hub question
  • rockitman

I am currently putting together a DH/FR bike. The frame I fancy has 150mm rear spacing. I have some DT Swiss FR2350 wheels which would be perfect but have 135mm rear hub.

If I get a 150mm rear hub is it just a matter of swapping it over? Anything I should be aware of?

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Yeah, you can do it but you'll need new spokes too (different length).

rockitman

Thanks

Bream
    Free Member

No need to buy a new hub, just buy the DT Swiss conversion kit 😉

rockitman

Cool. How the hell does that work then? Looks easy to fit, would I be able to do it?

matlockmeat
    Free Member

This will work however the wheel won't be as strong as it would be with a proper 150mm hub. The body on a 150mm is much wider. IS all you are effectively doing is fitting a large space between the hub and frame.

I had this issue when I swapped frames so just bought another pro 2 rear and now have a spare for another bike.

Bream
    Free Member

Dead easy to fit, there's a guide on the DT website, the 2 new ends spacer pieces simply pull off the center shaft. I used a vice with soft jaws so not to damage the spacers. You need to take off the free hib as well but this is easy as well and shown in the guide. Also a good time to change bearings if you haven't done so before.

Of course Mat is correct about the body width, but I am running the narrow body on my DH race bike with no issues, I'm a bit of a weight weenie mind 😆

Bream
    Free Member

GGGRRRRRRRRRRRR, forget what I said before, came to fit this last week before a race and it doesn't fit despite what DT Swiss say 👿

Needs a lathe to make it fit with spacers and won't work long term so need to change hub now anyway 🙄

Not happy 🙁

geetee1972
    Free Member

This will work however the wheel won't be as strong as it would be with a proper 150mm hub. The body on a 150mm is much wider

Well now the body on may 150mm hubs is wider but when you look at the distance between the flanges often (though not in every instance) the distance is the same or very close. Hope hubs appear to be this way. I always thought the point of a wider rear end was to have less dish on the wheel and thus make it stronger. Hope hubs would then appear to make the whole exercise pointless?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘135mm / 150mm rear hub question’ is closed to new replies.