Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • 12mm Maxle rear end with a bolt axle?
  • paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Are the Maxle threads going to cause a problem if a chap were to fit a different axle, one like this perhaps:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320796339999?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_500wt_1413

Ta.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Hmm, Maxle threads are M12, and the axle is 12mm, so it won’t fit through the threads.
    Alternativle, get an M12 die and cut the tread longer down the axle and screw it in.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Do you reckon that axle is M12 as well? If it is I can use spacers on the non-threaded size so that the axle tightens up without needing to cut longer threads.

I managed to crack one of the older style maxles, trying to tighten it than had a fit when I saw HOW MUCH they are to replace, so bought that normal bolt axle, and just realised it might not work……

I did manage to get the maxle back in the frame, but I can’t work out if the crack affects the operation or not.

Nightmare!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Ok, so the axle arrived and doesn’t fit!

I’d estimate that there are between two and three times as many threads per unit length on the axle that I’ve bought compared with the Maxle. Is the Maxle definitely an M12 thread? It looks like if either is an M12 thread it’s the other axle to me, but I’m not 100% on thread numbers.

The new axle is a thing of beauty, so I’m going to try to get the correct thread put on it as a first solution.

Cheers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘12mm Maxle rear end with a bolt axle?’ is closed to new replies.