Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • 12.5k bike.
  • donsimon
    Free Member

That's a lot of money. Would you ride it or hang it on a wall?

Competition to win it here.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

not a bad looking bike…think I'd be too scared of scratching or getting dirt on it!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Gorgeous, ride it on sunny dry days only.

br
    Free Member

Gorgeous, ride it on sunny dry days only.

Nah, winter commuter – if you can afford it, use it.

grahamt1980

Likewise. Would be more likely to mount it on the wall than dare to ride it much

househusband

If I could afford it, I'd never buy one.

If I won it, I'm confident than even the plasterboard walls on our newbuild would bear the diminutive weight once hung on the wall as objet d'art.

scruzer
    Free Member

Reality check – Remember 'Its not about the bike', here's proof. 12.5 grand or not it did not win the worlds greatest bike race this year.Its only worth that if people are willing to pay that much! Perhaps that's how much it cost to create? That said its just about cool.

firestarter
    Free Member

there was one of those in a shop i was in last week but altho it was sky rep it had campag on. (then again not sure what the team use) but that was 7500 quid , it was also sold. nice mind

big-chief-96
    Free Member

Cheers, just entered and if I win, sell it

njee20
    Free Member

Sky use Dura Ace, I don't think they all use Di2 though.

Even with the SRM on there I'm not entirely sure it's £12500 though! Evans have a Sky replica Dogma for £6700 with Di2, carbon wheels etc, the SRM adds c£2500, there's slightly different finishing kit, but I'm struggling otherwise to see where the extra comes from though!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Who cares it's shiny.

Entered and if I win I'll ride the damm thing, it's only a bike after all.

Wonder if Crud Racers will fit?

njee20
    Free Member

I still prefer the Prince to the Dogma, in fact the Prince is my 'dream bike' but I've entered anyway, I'd settle for the more expensive Dogma! SRM would be good too!

radoggair
    Free Member

competition entered
    Seat position looks very, erm, skyward though

scaredypants

what is a SRM ?

😳

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Looks like a work of art to me. I want it.

radoggair
    Free Member

srm

aint cheap

njee20
    Free Member

what is a SRM ?

If Raggodair's link wasn't clear, they're cranks that measure your power output. The benchmark for power meters frankly, with a crazy price tag!

scaredypants

aaaah; if they'd said "power meter" I'd have been OK

aint cheap

😯

big-chief-96
    Free Member

£2299.99!!!!! F*CK ME!! I NEED A LIE DOWN!!! 😯

If anyone on here by any chance wins it… make sure to let us know

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I read that as 12.5kg bike, and thought "that's really heavy for a road bike!"

njee20
    Free Member

Actually this is the 7900/Di2 version!

radoggair
    Free Member

big-chief-96 – Member
    £2299.99!!!!! F*CK ME!! I NEED A LIE DOWN!!!

If anyone on here by any chance wins it… make sure to let us know

Its cool, here's a cheaper version for the working class amongst us 🙄

relax

jonrambo
    Free Member

**** faggets bike!!! whats wrong with you all?! its a road bike! you guys need to get a life!, seriously!!!

corroded
    Free Member

Hmm, don't like wiggly Pinarellos. Give me a Storck any day…

njee20
    Free Member

The Dogma is a bit too wiggly, and heavy, the Prince is a work of art though!

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

Njee20. The extra cost comes from producing the frame with quality carbon fibre composites. Not the cheap crap that gets filtered down to the public, but still costs about £2k for the frame.
    The production bike is "wiggly" the race bike is stiff as.

psychle
    Free Member

entered… if I win it, I'll be putting it on eBay 😉

scaredypants

I have to say, the 4 grand chainset looks much nicer – I'll take one for the mtb as well

njee20
    Free Member

The production bike is "wiggly" the race bike is stiff as.

I certainly meant wiggly as in curvy tubing, rather than flexy, assume Corroded was the same. Like the idea that standard Dogmas are made of 'cheap crap' though!

How do you know they're using different frames for the team? That's pretty unusual these days, and does little for the brand IMO.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I'd buy a car instead to be honest!

But it looks nice, checks lotto numbers…nope not tonight Josephine!

aracer
    Free Member

If I had £12.5k to spend for something to hang on the wall I'd buy a painting. Ride.

PikeBN14
    Free Member

Not a roadie, unless you count my fixie commuter, but that is LUSH!

bikerbruce
    Free Member

im the biggest bike nerd ever
    to start…toray t900 fibres used in SOME frames…so not all and its only adding a bit say 500.di2 is expensive but chainset and brakes are cheap and standard.
    bars are not expensive as is saddle say 200 and stem 100 bars 300 if they're newton carbons….
    the wheels would cost roughly 1800 so..
    frame 3000
    wheels 1600
    groupset 2000
    srm professional. 2800
    bars,stem saddle 500.
    cool paint…400?
    = not 12000

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

Well there's carbon fibre composites, and then there's carbon composites.
    The former are made with high modulus carbon fibre filaments woven into sheets and treated, known as "pre preg" inmthe lay up process. The latter are made from recovered offcuts of carbon fibre that are put into a vat with resin and mixed abit like glass fibre products. This product is known as "chopstrand".
    Both types don't look particularly appealing in raw form, so a layer of cosmetic weave is laid up over the construction material as an aesthetic layer.
    So when you buy a frame, you don't know what the underlying material is, but the price gives it away.
    A full pre preg lay up costs about £7-10K whereas a chopstrand equivalent would be about £2-3K.
    e.g. a single element rear wing for a F1 car is £10K it has to be strong so it's made of the best material.
    The body panels are made from chopstrand, but still cost about £5K.

My expertise on carbon composites is based in the golf industry, but we've been using carbon composites for over 20 years now.
    And a driver shaft made from HM LT FW carbon can cost more than a set of 9 carbon shafted irons. And you can feel the difference in performance in back to back tests.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

"shafted" …chuckle.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

£12,500 my arse. Proves my point that cycling has become a rip-off activity.

aracer
    Free Member

My expertise on carbon composites is based in the golf industry

Interesting – didn't know cheap golf clubs used chopped strand cf. Seems very cheap and nasty. Not something which is used in most other industries that I'm aware of, including the bicycle frame one. Certainly not at all the case in the one I know most about, composite kayaks – given the amount of carbon fibre you get for your money in one of those, it's certainly not actually the cost of the raw cf which is setting the price. A 10kg kayak made largely from cf can be had for ~£3k – making the cost of the carbon rather less than £400 for a bike frame (now I know there are still big differences between different carbon weaves and strands, but we are talking about proper carbon weave rather than chopped offcuts here).

So when you buy a frame, you don't know what the underlying material is, but the price gives it away.

Actually more often than not the price actually gives away the amount the company spends on marketing, the paint scheme and other such intangible things. Cheap frames are often made in the same factory as expensive ones, using the same fibres and construction process.

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

The golf club analogy was used as an example to demonstate the differences in different grades of product using the same type of construction.
    Both are filament wound carbon fibre, but the basic version is totally inferior while being advertised as basically the same product.
    The filament wound shaft is designed to resist torsional loads during impact and deliver the clubhead suarely through the ball. The basic shaft, for the same swing speed and impact force delivers the face at about 2-3 degrees open, producing a shot that can deviate as much as 20 yards offline, and lose about 40-50 yards distance by imparting unwanted sidespin on the ball and lowering the MOI coefficient.
    That's a big margin for a product that's sold on it's ability to improve distance and accuracy.

You seem to be comparing a fairly simple lay up process in Kayaks (which can also be made from glass fibre, and as yet, bicycles can't) to the very complex lay up involved in bicycle frame manufacture where high tensile loads are experienced regularly in use, and comapring the costs directly.
    I don't think there's a comparison to be made there.

The motorsport analogy is a more direct comparison, as the loads are far higher, but in similar areas. The technology for CF bicycles has filtered down from motorsport.

I saw a Yeti 575 chainstay snap a few years ago and we had the Renult F1 team riding in the area that weekend. It was one of their engineers that pointed out the "chopstrand" constuction method and suggested it was not up to the job.
    He then went on to elaborate on the construction processes they use for different elements of the car and the costs invloved.
    I got some nice fleeces and t shirts that weekend too.

aracer
    Free Member

Both are filament wound carbon fibre, but the basic version is totally inferior while being advertised as basically the same product.

Ah – I was a bit surprised. So given the cheap ones have a torsion problem, does that mean they're using fibres running straight down the length of the shaft? I have to wonder if it's a marketing issue, given ISTM that it shouldn't be that much more expensive to make a wound shaft (certainly kayak paddle shafts are made that way, and I'd imagine they're cheaper than even your cheap carbon shaft golf club)

You seem to be comparing a fairly simple lay up process in Kayaks (which can also be made from glass fibre, and as yet, bicycles can't) to the very complex lay up involved in bicycle frame manufacture where high tensile loads are experienced regularly in use, and comapring the costs directly.

I was comparing the materials cost (given kayaks don't use chopped strand cf). Though realistically there isn't actually as much difference as you suggest – not if you're comparing with the high end kayaks I was, which use pre-preg and vac-bag construction. Just because people don't make bikes out of glass fibre doesn't mean you can't from a technology perspective – the issue being that given the amount of material used it wouldn't make a bike frame that much cheaper, whereas material cost is a far greater proportion of a kayak, hence it makes a far more significant difference.

I saw a Yeti 575 chainstay snap a few years ago and we had the Renult F1 team riding in the area that weekend. It was one of their engineers that pointed out the "chopstrand" constuction method and suggested it was not up to the job.

I agree with the F1 bloke, and am surprised – though it's not as if a Yeti is a cheap frame, so I don't think your price point stands! Then again I'm also not totally convinced – how exactly do you tell from a broken part that it is chopped strand rather than long fibres? All you get to see is the broken bit which doesn't tell you anything about how long the strands behind it are, any surface you can see could easily just be cosmetic.

kiwijohn

Well I'm in. I could use a commuter.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘12.5k bike.’ is closed to new replies.