Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • dave360

Someone told me earlier that this number has replaced 999 as the emergency number. The EU web site says it is the "European emergency number"
    but it is really? I mean, will someone actually answer if I dial it?

wwaswas

it puts you through to MI5.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Why would the EU website lie (about this)? 999 works in this country only; 112 works internationally within the EU.

adam5555

yes it will put you through the same way as 999. Its mainly for visiting europeans. Remember it, you may need to use it in France, Germany etc when you dont have the local emergency number to hand

leffeboy

As adam5555 said, 112 works as well as 999 rather than replacing it. It should work from mobile/fixed and payphone

http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/activities/112/docs/kids/kids_fact_en.pdf

tinker-belle
    Free Member

IIRC 112 is best used when you have low mobile signal – it could be a load of B***** but that's what I heard somewhere

lakesrider
    Free Member

you can use 112 (and 999 in the uk) if you have no signal on your network ,as long as other networks have coverage.

Also works in a phone with no sim in, and will work even if the phone is pin locked, just type 112 as the pin and dial.

meehaja
    Free Member

dialling any emergency number (999,112,911 etc) from your mobile will connect to the operator who can put you through to local emergency services. These calls are not network dependent, i.e if you have no signal on o2 but Orange has full, your emergency call can use the orange mast. I might be wrong, but thats how i always understood it!

dave360

I'm not saying they're lying about it, but I have no confidence that a bunch of bureaucrats can actually implement this across all euro countries. I don't want to find out that the UK hasn't signed up when I have a real emergency on my hands.

wwaswas

well, you could try 112 three times and if it still doesn't connect switch to 999?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

yup, 999 will access just as many networks as 112, most phones say something like "emergency calls only" if theres signal on another network but not your own, then no siganl if you travel too far north of Hadrians wall :p

allthegear
    Free Member

Just to get it right, yes – in the UK 112 is exactly the same as 999.

If your phone is out of signal but another operator can connect the call, it will go over the other network operator's connection. This will only work, however, on a phone that still has a valid SIM installed.

Rachel

skidartist
    Free Member

and will work even if the phone is pin locked, just type 112 as the pin and dial.

Thats a mixed blessing, emergency call centres are plagued by silent calls from mobiles in peoples pockets because 1 and 2 being pressed overrides the keypad lock.

I read once that emergency call centres were getting the equivalent of one call every 4 seconds (22,000 a day) but that might have been before fancy flippy / slidey / touchy phones became so popular

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘112’ is closed to new replies.