Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 11 spd Alfine help please..
  • rickmeister

Any tips to help would be appreciated. I can get the first 7 gears no problem. The spring doesnt seem to have enough tension to engage gears 8 – 11. The yellow dots match perfectly.. Is there an easy fix for this? I am biking from Inverness to Coventry, currently in Edinburgh with a bit to go! Any help appreciated

thanks

dandelionandmurdoch
    Free Member

The yellow dots defo lined up in gear number 6 yeah?

Also, is the outer casing properly seated in the Outer Casing Holder (bit that the rubber bellows attach to)?

rickmeister

Yep. It seems that there isnt enough tension in the spring to engage gears 8 – 11. Can do it by hand but not on he shifter…

dandelionandmurdoch
    Free Member

Has it always been like that or has it just started?

My next guess would be a kinked inner cable right next to the shifter.

Also, why you doing this ride/have you got pics of the route/bike/etc.? 🙂

rickmeister

Cable run is very smooth, the bike is 7 days old (yes tell me about settlng things down…) Ride is a 50th Birthday celebration.. Edinburgh now, tomorrow Inerleithen after bike is sorted. Shifter works fine, problem is at the hub gear end. there is slack cable in gears 8-11. Enough to move by hand. Nowt on facetube either.I ‘m good with derraileurs, Alfines are new!

dandelionandmurdoch
    Free Member

Ha ha, don’t worry, I won’t tell you it needs to bed in or settle down – I’m sure that Alfine 11 hubs are close to the pinnacle of human achievement! 😉

The only other things that spring to mind are that the cable might not be running in exactly the right place over the Cassette Joint pulley guide (no doubt, however, you’ve checked this already) and that the distance bewteen the Inner Cable Fixing Bolt and the Outer Casing Holder might be too long.

Try taking the wheel out and putting it back together…?

Sounds like a nice ride – enjoy!

fatmax

Get yourself to The Bike Chain on Rodney Street at 9.30 tomorrow morning…

rickmeister

Thanks, will check that on a strip down tomorrow as tonights whisky/beer/red wine/training food is slowing me down…..

more madness here:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_148644488528072&ap=1

If it works..

rickmeister

Fatmax.. that is a very real option.. Mark or Brad work wonders on these…

fatmax

Good luck and (hopefully) enjoy the rest of the ride.
    Other than that, how have you found it – I’m considering 11spd for my next commuter…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

sticky cable would be my guess. Does it spring all the way back when you release the cable?

The only issue I have had with my 8 sp was in the cold when the cable froze and it wouldn’t engage the lower gears

rickmeister

Hi TJ, its not a sticky cable, its the arm that the cable is connected to thats sticky. It wont turn counter clockwise fully on its own and when it sticks, there is obvious slack in the cable…

Not easy to describe without a picture!

TBC for 9:30 as I dont want a pile of bits when we should be riding….

rickmeister

Fatmax, the 11 spd is working well, smooth, efficient and basically, forgettable, in that it just does its thing without any fuss… (except this little glich which I am sure will be an easy fix)…

dandelionandmurdoch
    Free Member

Ah… the plot thickens.

Next I’d definitely take the cassette joint off and reinstall it after checking it turned freely when off the wheel. But The Bike Chain sounds like a good idea!

What bike are you using? How’s the weather today? 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Fair enough rickmeister. good luck with getting it sorted

crash_gav
    Free Member

Hi P,

Your doing great, shame about the glitch. Suppose it adds to the story 8O.

Gav

rickmeister

tooksome pics but need to get off to the shop, will post later. Its a stunning day again…. 4 degrees…

Bike is a Koga Signature… after a conversation with M Beaumont its what was purchased.

As I said, will post pics later

rickmeister

Right then, Big thanks to Brad and Colin at TBC in Edinburgh…. and then Sam the Alfine-meister at Alpine Bikes. He stripped the wheel out and called Madison for some Tech advice. It would appear that the hub, when built has some internal problem which needs a bigger strip down than time allows. The gear changing arm still wont return far enough to engage gears 8 – 11 but the first ones are all ok so its good for uphills thankfully. So the trip can continue and the hub gear issue will be resolved later with the shop who supplied the bike, down in England.

So, a big thanks for these Edinburgh LBS who had a look at it as a drop in case….

Pics to follow. Just off to Inners via Sustrans 1….

rickmeister

Last minute success !

Cunning elastic band solution… but its working! We’re off….

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Keep us posted on the trip (and the ALfine)

rickmeister

So heres the bike:

And here is the problem. Gears 8 – 11 leave the cable slack:

Its possible to push the gear change arm with your finger to engage 8 – 11:

And the solution:

Simples and it works. Would have preferred a red Royal Mail elastic band for colour cordination purposes but hey…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘11 spd Alfine help please..’ is closed to new replies.