Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • '11 Orange Five Pro or '11 Lapierre Zesty 514???
  • ryanw
    Free Member

Not wanting to start an argument, but please discuss the pros and cons of the titled bikes… I’m stuck in a rut and can’t decide…

Orange, Lapierre, Orange, Lapierre… You get the idea.

What would you chose for UK trails?

Cheers all,

Ryan

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

For UK trials I’d pick a Gas Gas but for uk trails I picked a 5 & don’t regret it for a second.

sambob
    Free Member

Try them both if possible, one may fit far better than the other. I’d probably go for a Zesty, but a 5 would be less maintenance and probably tougher.

ryanw
    Free Member

Haha, post edited… Cheers for that 😉

The thing with the 5 is that it gets phenomenal reviews but then is kicked to death by numerous gangs of haters?!

I haven’t seen a bad bit of press about the Lapierre.

My heart is saying 5, head is saying 514…

wrecker
    Free Member

Ride them both
    DO NOT LISTEN TO ANYONE ON FORUMS. ‘cept me.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I had both. I preferred the 5. There were a few little niggles with the Zesty, some of which were preference, some of which were just silly design points.

Ride both, what works for you will be different for everyone else. Weight wise they are near identical.

rewski
    Free Member

I love my 514, so totally biased, but I’m always intrigued why people always pitch the 5 against it. Have you thought of others, the choice is endless in mid travel am/trail bikes.

Northwind

Try them both… I prefer the Zesty personally, better climber and just as good a descender (approaches things a wee bit differently). But they’re close. Haven’t compared recently but usually the Lapierre works out better value too.

godzilla
    Free Member

Will a 5 hold its money better?

ryanw
    Free Member

They’re both pretty much identical spec and price wise. The 514 has a better front mech (XT over SLX on the 5) but the Orange has a better rear shock…

I think the Orange will be tougher, but the Lapierre will be a better climber?

Decisions, decisions….

Garry_Lager

You’ll get a 6 week frame warranty with the orange, which is good for such a small company. Something to consider.

flow
    Free Member

I’ve ridden both, preferred the Five.

You do get an extra two years warranty with the Lappiere though, and you are more likely to need it 😉

swiftyx2
    Free Member

Tried both,

Wanted to prefer the 514.
    But the 5 won.

Both cracking bikes mind.

flow
    Free Member

Both cracking bikes mind.

But one cracks more than the other…..sorry I had too.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

but the Lapierre will be a better climber?
    Going off my experience you’d better be a damn good climber yourself if you can find anyhing better than a 5!
    I’m cleaning stuff on my 5 that I’ve never managed before in years of riding. My legs or lungs always give up before the bike does.

elaineanne
    Free Member

ive heard that before..”the lapierre climbs better than the 5…..never ridden a lappierre myself but the five is good for climbing too… 😉
    its a good all rounder is the five….go on get the five 😉 you know you want to… :mrgreen: you can choose your own paint colour too ! :mrgreen:

jamess
    Free Member

For what its worth… the 5 is a well planted, thunderous descender and like esselgruntfuttock I’m cleaning more stuff than ever. I found the 514 a bit sketchy and light on descents but it probably needed a better rider at the helm! Preferred the 514 going uphill though.

ryanw
    Free Member

Great comments chaps, much appreciated!

I’m hopefully picking up a 5 Pro on Thursday…. 😉 Fingers crossed…

flow
    Free Member

Nice one, you won’t be disappointed.

Any photos?

ask1974
    Free Member

Make it a Chrome one, they look ace 😀

1kcove
    Free Member

Why buy a french onion bike when you can buy a nice UK hand made 5….. 😀

ryanw
    Free Member

Unfortunately I’m not going for any crazy colour, but I shall be upgrading a few bits as soon as it’s in my hands 😉

nmdbase
    Free Member

Good choice 🙂

AJames
    Free Member

My favourite bit of kit on my 5? The sticker that says hand made in Halifax! Buy UK!

FuzzyWuzzy

I’d recommend buying the one designed this millennium and not made out of bits left over from a building site.

bigthunder
    Free Member

Good choice. I love Orange bikes. Nice and simple. I also agree with ya about tweaking a few wee bits.

gsp1984
    Free Member

Good choice, I was struggling to make the same choice. The Lapierre rear end was squeeking and clicking on the afternoon I had it, which for a couple of month old bike put me right off.

~I bought a 2012 5 Pro with quite a few upgrades.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Hold on a minute.

::runs out to the shed to grab the rear wheel of the lapierre and gives it a good tug side to side.. then finds an orange 5 and does the same:::

Hi,i`m back. Yeah.. go for the lapierre.It hardly flexes through the frame at all compared to the 5.Torsionally its like night and day.(why add a maxle option to a stupidly flexy back end lol?)

No shock bush replacement or bearing problems at all in the time ive owned it.. lovely horst rear end.. where do i stop?! ;O)

rewski
    Free Member

I’ve got to admit I’m warming to orange, especially after watching ton’s vids on vimeo.

flow
    Free Member

where do i stop?!

Its French, thats where you stop.

nmdbase
    Free Member

I wouldn’t buy a Renault either 🙂 to quote an ex spicy owner the other day “it was shit so I sold it”

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’d still get the Anthem X for the type of riding you do.

martinxyz
    Free Member

2010-ish the tooling for the press fit bb shells wore out and caused the shells to be bored out a little undersized. Once the bb unit was pressed in.. some split. They found the problem.. its now sorted.

It didnt stop me from buying one.Most manufacturers have problems.If you go narrowing down bikes in the mtb world in that fashion.. good luck,its going to be a long time before you find the safest purchase.

I actually had a wee spin on a 5 earlier and climbed up the road near to where i work. Looking down it was noticeable under load in a silly gear the amount of movement compared to the 514.I was watching the rear fixing bolt for the shock move left to right.Small amounts,yes.. but moving unlike the 514 none the less.

I would still like to maybe try a 5 one day.It feels such a rapid bike and dont get me wrong i may sound like i`m making it out to be flexing around like its a piece of plastic compared to the more three dimentional/triangulated rear ends of frames such as old and new turner 5 spots,giant anthems,trek fuels etc etc but its not that bad.For the girth of it and weight.. its amazing how stiff it is. But after riding other bikes.. nowhere near as stiff.
    Just what i`d expect for something thats fixed something like 20 inches away from the rear wheels axle by the main (and only) pivot.
    Like other single pivots such as superlights and hecklers.. all that leverage over such a great length will never be stiffened up like the stiffness we will get from the likes of the frames mentioned above.

flow
    Free Member

What a load of waffle, the Five is far from flexy, and I have ridden or owned most bikes you mention for comparison.

Sounds like you are trying to justify your Lappiere purchase to me, but secretly you regret it and actually want a Five.

I’ve only ridden a 2011 Zesty, and apparently they have sorted it out this year by changing the leverage ratio, but the rear suspension was awful. Flex is the last of your worries when you are wallowing along like you are riding an un-damped spring.

martinxyz
    Free Member

No lol.Not justifying it over a 5 at all.I have never seriously considered buying a 5 over what ive bought in the past. I like the zesty for certain things,not everything.I now have this turner flux and enjoy riding it a lot more on easy stuff with its lighter build. If i took it to the likes of Torridon i would be wishing i had the zesty.It seems most folk find it a great climber,some have mentioned it better than a 5. I personally dont think its that amazing. I love descending on it.I think its fairly well sorted.Not sure i`d sell it to get next years version with a shorter wheelbase? It doesnt seem to have much up with it at all.Theres not much i can put my finger on..

Others would probably agree. Its really not a bad egg at all,Flow ;O)

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-lapierre-zesty-314-11-41165/

martinxyz
    Free Member

“What a load of waffle, the Five is far from flexy”

Come on! Yeah,and its far from stiff! You know this too well,having owned other bikes.For that reason,im out! Im not going to gurn about it anymore. We will have to agree to disagree. 😀

ryanw
    Free Member

Waiting on a confirmation email… Should hopefully have some pics up on here tomorrow!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘'11 Orange Five Pro or '11 Lapierre Zesty 514???’ is closed to new replies.