Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 11-32 rear 9 speed cassette on a 29er too small?
  • tetsujin
    Free Member

Just a quick question.

What’s the real negatives (if any) to using a 11-32 cassette on a 29er in 1×9 setup over a 11-36 1×10?

I know one will be much better for the larger wheels but real work experiences is it a no no on 29ers?

Just weighing up how my current gear set up would work on a 29er build.

Cheers 🙂

coopersport1
    Free Member

You’ll just have to work a bit harder! Depends really if you are planning on running a smaller front ring to compensate

rOcKeTdOg

if you have the legs do it, i don’t so am sticking with 32T and 12:36

irc

11-36 has roughly 1 gear wider range than 11-32but slightly bigger gaps between some of the gears.

I ran a 1×9 comuter on an 11-34 for a while and found it to work well. You should look at what gear range you use on a known bike then decide what size chainring to use to have the gears where you want them.

http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

rootes1

32x 11-34 is nice

always better to get your low gear right rather than high gears… you can always freewheel downhill…

eshershore
    Free Member

have a look at Shimano’s cheap but durable SLX cassette in the 9 speed variant with 12-36T ratio

I am riding a 29er with 33T and 11-36T rear in 10 speed, and find it perfect for climbing up very steep hills (standing) and also bombing down the steep hills

tetsujin
    Free Member

Would be running a 32 front ring with the 11-32.

On my 26 ht with this set up I can get about no problem on the trails I ride. But on a 29er I don’t have that experience.

tetsujin
    Free Member

My main reason is I have a nice 9 speed set up with x9 shifters, x0 mech and pg990 cassette and seems a shame to change as its pretty new.

Having never had xt shimano how does the xt shifters/mech compare with SRAM?

PaulD
    Free Member

e-s,

Shimano HG80 (SLX) is not available as 12-36.

The 12-36 cassette is a Deore version and weighs approx 450g.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/CS/EV-CS-HG80-2804_v1_m56577569830646641.pdf

PaulD

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘11-32 rear 9 speed cassette on a 29er too small?’ is closed to new replies.