Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 10spd powerlink question
  • td66
    Free Member

So I’m new to 10speed stuff and I want to shorten the shimano 10spd chain on my new bike. Can I use this BBB powerlink, or does it have to be a specific shimano link?

I used to use SRAM powerlinks in shimano chains for 9spd, but wanted to check that there wasn’t any manufacturer specific standards for 10spd.

CheesybeanZ

i had this with the shimano chain that came with my 5 , i think you have to use a chain pin , which could be pain on the trail , i swapped to SRAM so i could use a power link .

steveh

SRAM’s powerlinks for 10 speed chains are now called power locks and are single use only. Such a shame as the powerlink was always the best thing about sram chains!

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Use KMC missing link, can be reused and used with Shimano and SRAM.

lazybike
    Free Member

I use the decathlon links, reusable and a doddle to get on and off, work fine with a shimano chain…..

hp_source

I’m using a KMC one on my Shimano 10 speed, no issues so far.

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

I use sram 9sp powerlinks with my xt/xtr 10sp chains they have been fine for over a year now never had any probs.

honourablegeorge

KMC ones available cheaply on EBay, reusable too

jimification
    Free Member

I think any 10spd powerlink is only “single use” because they’re difficult to undo – Someone recommended these on here a while back and they’re ace!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=46600

td66
    Free Member

Thanks for the info guys, appreciate it.

nickdavies

Standard 10sp SRAM powerlinks work fine, IMO if you shorten a shimano 10spd chain don’t rejoin it – I had massive problems with the links breaking after I rejoined.

Stuck a powerlink on and it’s fine now – they are hard to get on though so if you struggle getting it to lock, bring the link around to the top of the chain just in front of the cassette, put the brakes on and kick the pedal forwards to lock it. I don’t know if this is common knowledge… but I spent 20mins trying to pull the link together manually trailside before asking one of the techs at the shop who did it in seconds like this!

td66
    Free Member

I didn’t doubt the SRAM ones would work I was just trying to do it cheaper, as 7 or 8 quid for a powerlink just seemed crazy.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

To be fair a 9spd Powerlinks seems to work fine. I’ve been running one on my 10spd chain now for about 6 months & it works without problem.

zangolin
    Free Member

I think any 10spd powerlink is only “single use” because they’re difficult to undo – Someone recommended these on here a while back and they’re ace!

Just not true – some are difficult to undo.
    By far the best + easiest to use are the Connex Wipperman links – very easy to undo + redo + certainly no special tools required. Worth replacing with each new chain though + you have to put them on the right way up. 10sp version works fine on the new generation of Shimano 10sp MTB chains.

warpcow
    Free Member

In answer to the original question: yes, BBB 10-spd links work fine with Shimano. They are also easily reusable, despite them saying otherwise.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘10spd powerlink question’ is closed to new replies.