Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Ztr crests/archs' vs mavic xm719
  • haggis1978

Looking for some help here guys, I'm in the market for some new rims and was looking at notubes ztr rims. Question 1 is what is the crest designed for and how does it compare to the arch as it seems they're both supposed to be for aggressive xc ie can take a bit of a beating but not being for freeride/enduro use? question 2 is are they really worth the extra money over say the mavic xm719? Cheers

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you want to save weight and/or run tubeless, yes.

haggis1978

So is the crest a good aggressive xc rim or should I be looking at the arch?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Crest is the light one yes? If so why are comparing it to the 719?

Main benefits of stans are tubeless and strength:weight.

Have a read of the website.

haggis1978

Yeah I've been on it and it says crest is a combo of the race and 355 rims so from that I was guessing it's like a rim for a trail bike. It's a 140mm travel hardtail they're going on that doesn't take a huge pounding but enough that I want them to be strong. just wanting to clarify the rims purpose a bit better with all the different terminology ie trail, aggressive xc, etc etc in one of this months mags it has the flow rim down as a lightweight trail wheelset and that's definitely much beefier than the crest yet on the notubes website it's a heavy duty trail/super d rim

Northwind

"In one of this months mags it has the flow rim down as a lightweight trail wheelset and that's definitely much beefier than the crest yet on the notubes website it's a heavy duty trail/super d rim"

People keep classifying the Flow by its weight not by its performance, which confuses matters because its so light for its strength.

grumm
    Free Member

Flows are about the same weight as 719s – definitely worth it if you want to go tubeless (which you should 🙂 )

haggis1978

I should probably say that I'm looking for a rim that's a bit stronger than an xc rim but still with as little weight as possible hence why I was looking at the crest and arch. What do u guys think of these rims? Does anyone have any experience with them?

Frankers
    Free Member

No experience of those 2 but if you are looking for a strong light wheel go with the Flow rim, if your main desire is lightweight go with the crest/355/arch.

Also Flow gives a wider tyre profile

Vortexracing

I've got 2 sets of 355's and they are near as damn it the same width as a 719. I have also had 2 x sets of 719's as well. all 4 sets of wheels have been faultless, I was always a Mavic sort of person, but i'm very impresssed with the stans rims.

I would go with the crests as you get lightweight rims that are a bit wider than the 719/355 and these will give a bit more support to a 2.35is tyre.

Mine have been on my 140mm hardtail and 5" FS down the lakes and Peaks with no problems at all.

Probably a quastion not been asked yet is, what weight are you and are you heavy on wheels, if you have never bust one then the crests would be my choice.

igm

I got the Flow Hope Hoops for my 16st clumsy bulk – as a tubeless wheel and running standard or Bonty TLR tyres, it seems to give a very light, reasonably strong wheel. The yellow tape is very light and works.

haggis1978

i'm 96kg but have never tacoed a wheel before. the 719s are the mavic version of what i want so i was thinking that the Arch rims are their equivalent?

nuke

In weight terms the 719s are very similar to the Flow (Flow are 10g more iirc). In width terms the 719s are the same as the Arch or 355. The Crest are slightly wider at 21mm. I run 719 and 355s and, whilst the 355s have held up to everything, I think I would have gone with the Arch if for nothing more than extra piece of mind.

Partly depends on your budget though as you can't get the Arch with Hope Hoops so you'll have to pay custom build prices. If you're considering the 719, I'd suggest you just get Flows…bombproof set of wheels with a nice wide profile and the same weight as a wheelset with 719.

younggeoff

I've just ordered HOpe hoop with crest rims, here's the rim diminesions for Crest and Flow

Crest rims

Flow rims

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Ztr crests/archs' vs mavic xm719’ is closed to new replies.