Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Zesty – durable/maintainable? Orange 5 any good at climbing?
  • Hotfly
    Free Member

On the hunt for a replacement for my Scott Genius.
    Zesty 314/514 sounds good but have heard that the headset and non-standard BB don't last long. What about the suspension bearings?? Are the replacement parts reasonably cheap? I had to buy a full set of parts for my Genius suspension setup (not cheap).
    The Orange 5 would definitely be better in this area, but doesn't look like it's going to be much good for climbing – doesn't even come with a lockout fork as standard. I'm assuming that Orange 5 fans are less bothered about this. I like to be able to clean the steep techy bits, rather than get off and push! Need to try and demo one I know.
    Your comments would be appreciated.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Been out today with brother in law on his orange 5 and yes he was off pushing for some of the steeper techy bits. Whilst watching him ride ( ahem) I also noticed he looked very angled back whilst climbing! I had a quick blast on a downhill section mind, and it felt very sure and solid whilst giving it some! Way to much rebound on his shock tho but that's a personal set up I suppose!

si-wilson
    Free Member

Are you open to suggestion?

have a look at the Chumba VF2, similar in design to the Zesty and can be built for similar money to the 314. See here http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/my-new-chumba-and-some-thank-yous for an idea.

Sorry for the hi-jack!

coogan
    Free Member

He doesn't give up Si does he? 😀

Must admit though, if I hadn't replaced my old 5 Spot with a new 5 Spot, I'd have been having a right good look at Chumbas, they look real nice.

ojom
    Free Member

Yeah but then we wouldnt have been DW buddies!

legspin
    Free Member

My legs give out way before my 5 lets me down.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Must admit though, if I hadn't replaced my old 5 Spot with a new 5 Spot, I'd have been having a right good look at Chumbas, they look real nice.

If i wasnt riding a Chumba i would be on a DW 5 Spot 🙂

coogan
    Free Member

DW FTW FWIW OMG!!!111

coogan
    Free Member

Then one day Si, you and I should have a bike swap to see if we made the right choice!

ojom
    Free Member

I DW'd all over the place today.

coogan
    Free Member

I noticed. You DW very well. Smooth action and no mistake.

ojom
    Free Member

Yeah, i was smooth. You were too. Like, really smooth.

Hotfly
    Free Member

Si – the Chumba looks very good, but where do I get to demo ride one (I'm Gloucestershire based)??

Legspin – do your legs give up 'cos your Orange 5 is not much for climbing?? I ride for fun and don't race, but it is gratifying to get up something you want to ride down.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Are you able to get over to psyclewerxs in Bristol? They are not a Chumba dealer but may help me out.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

dejay vue Hotfly

just replaced my genius mc40 with a Zesty 314 and boy what a difference the Zesty just wants to go faster all the time – awesome.

Also feels a lot easier to throw about and pull back into shape when things get sketchy.

My LBS Lapierre dealer was raving about how long the BB's last claiming they last a lot longer than a Shimano HT version but time will tell I guess. Same for headset I guess.

I considered a 5 but tbh I just don't like the look of them, the Zesty with its anodised bits and bobs just looks great.

The 2010 314 in brushed aluminium and black with red details looks fab

grantway
    Free Member

Take out a test bike and try them
    Both bikes share the similar slack front angles
    so you may want to put a talas fork up front
    if the climbing worries you.

montylikesbeer

My five has loads left in it before come to a crashing stop.

There are much better rider than me that I get out with that never stop on a climb with a 5.

Its a great bike

jam-bo

Anyone who tells you they failed a climb because of the bike is kidding themselves….

My five climbs a whole lot better than I do.

votchy
    Free Member

Why would you want a lock out on a fork for steep techy climbs, surely the suspension helps in those situations? My 5 only fails to get up things when my legs give up, front can get light but only if you are in the wrong position on the bike, get on the nose of the saddle and it climbs really well.

carbon337
    Free Member

I used to have a boardman HT with adjustable 85-130 recons but recently moved to a 2010 five pro, I must admit I'm struggling to clean steep techy bits that I previously had no probs with. It's getting better though with practice and I'm getting better at shifting my weight to help this. Practice is they key I think. I didn't get talas upgrade as I used to spend ages fannying on with my old recons.
    It's amazing on singletrack and downs though!

failedengineer

My 5 climbs better than my previous Ellsworth ID – a bike that is supposed to be a 'good' climber. However, I'm sure we all have good days and bad days – it's difficult to know whether the bike or you are at fault. There is a huge amount of bullsh*t surrounding the relative performance of various bikes, IMHO.

FuzzyWuzzy

Don't regret buying my '09 314 but the BB is a bit of a pain. Lasted about 6 months from new (although that included a lot of riding in crappy conditions). Not really any worse than a lot of other BBs in the same price range but the lack of choice for replacement models is frustrating.

5's climb fine though – I'd do the test ride thing if you're deciding between the two…

D0NK

The single most important component when climbing (and any riding) is you, but some bikes/setups will complement you better and may get you up those climbs that are right on the limit of your talent. I've got a heckler pretty similar as far as I can tell to a 5 and it is great going up rocky stuff. Weighs a tonne but still gets up technical stuff better than lighter more xc setup bikes I have. Long smooth fireroad/tarmac climbs it's a bit of a bobby, heavy nightmare but it is a coil shock with no PP damping.

Hotfly
    Free Member

Thanks all – bit of a mixed response about the 5… Votchy, I find that I get a lot bob (and therefore energy wastage) when struggling up a steep techy bit. Unless I lock the forks that is. BTW, Talas on the Orange 5 puts it out of my price range.
    I must say, I do seem to spend a lot of my time climbing here in the Cotswolds… I can put up with an extra pound in weight, but the geometry and the suspension have got to be right.
    Valleydaddy – encouraged to hear that the switch to the Zesty has made a big difference… I would like to be sure that, if I spend £2K+, I will be able to keep the thing running for a good few years.
    BTW Enduro do a replacement BB – probably better than the Shimano BB that's fitted.

Hotfly
    Free Member

Progressive_Si… I should be able to get over to Bristol to try out a VF2 (that anodised blue looks great), I would just need to find somewhere nearby to try it out.

soulrider
    Free Member

I run an 08 – 5 with Lyriks up front..

I rarely drop from 160mm and it climbs very well – with my legs/lungs giving up before the bike begins to struggle.
    as mentioned above the front end can go light.. but sitting on the nose of the saddle always helps to keep the front down.

jordie
    Free Member

I really don`t know where all this 5s dont climb well comes from.I know a few people with them me included and they climb pretty good and fast if you have the legs for it.I always think when i see those Zestys is it is a good looking bike but the cable routing was done at the last minute and looks like a branch is going to get stuck on the bb area

timblake
    Free Member

I have a nearly two year old Zesty – one of the first – a 314 in silver with lovely red anodised bits. It is absolutely fantastic! Going up it's good, I have no complaints except my fitness and going down it is simply awesome, confidence inspiring, fun, easy to get back on track and gets you out of trouble. I have now come up against the first real problem in a very loud creaking which I suspect is the bushing on the Horst link (the rest of the links are bearings) I need to do more investigation but Nirvana tell me they are push fit and £4 each…anyone else had similar issues? What did you do? I would still say buy one to anyone and my mates all love just sitting on it!

fly up, flow down

genesis
    Free Member

Yes the 5 climbs, just look at where the Orange test and design guys live!

SimonR

The 5 is great up hill – steep seat angle, long-ish back end and bags of traction means it's my lungs and legs that give out first. I don't ever bother winding down the forks either (a set of coil Pikes). Slightly odd feedback through the pedals in low gears but you get used to that after a few rides and it doesn't affect how it climbs.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

They are not classed as "cool" any more (which is more reason to buy one) but take a look at the Meta 5 had a test ride last weekend and I was impressed, great spec amazing ride, climbs well decends well and I have been assured that the warranty issues they had last year have been sorted.

IamSam
    Free Member

09 Zesty 514 and the headset bearings were proper poo, noticed there was a problem when it used to leak water after a ride. They have been replaced with standard Cane creek ones now though and have been fine. the originals were mild steel so rusted and seized within six months.
    Other than that the bikes been great starting to get a bit of corrosion on the bars at the moment though but not enough to really worry about, wanted white ones any way Ho Hum 😀

Hotfly
    Free Member

Hmm looks like this thread's come to life again. Still haven't got myself a new bike yet. But whatever I get, I want it to climb at least as well as my old Scott Genius.

There seem to be a few issues with the Zesty, but changing the headset and BB isn't too serious. A few wheel bearing problems too I've heard.

carbon337
    Free Member

and a few cracked chainstays and bottom bracket shells.

But i've got a five so a bit biassed.

dasnut
    Free Member

there are aftermarket BBs available now for zestys, so no problem there.
    the main pivot bearings are enduro so all good
    the chainstay pivots are bushes indeed and cheap to replace (mine lasted 1 year of being hammered, main bearing still fine)

I replaced the headset with a hope one early on, so no issue there

top bike (and to rub it in I bought my 714 brand new at the end of 2008 for £2600)

Its got PUSH'd coil Pikes and a PUSH'd VAN R rear shock and it really flies now.

I'd buy another, if they weren't so expensive. Orange 5s still look like they are put together by a final year welding project.

cheers

si-wilson
    Free Member

Orange 5s still look like they are put together by a final year welding project.

Really? The welds look good to me, and i know which frame between the Zesty and the Five will last the longer 🙂

ScottChegg
    Free Member

5's are top notch climbers, but they won't do it for you. I run 150 Talas on the front, and I do like winkling the front down to 130mm for the really steep stuff.

Try one, and don't judge it until you've tried it.

duir
    Free Member

I don't own an Orange 5 but it's worth bearing a few things in mind. This along with most other Oranges is designed by people that live and ride in Englands best riding areas like the Lakes and Yorkshire. The designs have evolved out of the need for a no nonsense bike for Britain. If you buy a bike on looks or biased mag reviews you may well end up with something else but if you look beyond the glamour and base your decision on more important factors like the ride, geometry, ease of maintenence, decent warranty and reliability the 5 ticks the boxes every time. Plus you get a hand built frame and support a British product rather than a frame made in Taiwan and made to look ridiculously pretty.

Isn't the 5 the ultimate mountain bike for Britain? If I had the dosh I would 'ave one!

mk1fan
    Free Member

No, that title goes to the Cove Hustler.

duir
    Free Member

As an owner of 2 Coves, a Shocker and a Stiffee I will not disagree. I see Coves as from the same stable as Orange. They are designed and built by real riders for the harsh conditions they ride in in with a no nonsense approach and durability as the primary guiding factor. As a result you end up with a superb bike that just keeps going and never lets you down.

I think the Cove ethos is very similar to the Orange ethos.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Zesty – durable/maintainable? Orange 5 any good at climbing?’ is closed to new replies.