Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Zee Clutch derailleur with 9 speed
  • j4m1e5
    Free Member

Basically i have a raceface narrow wide single chain ring on the front and a 9 speed cassette on rear. Ive ordered a new zee 10 speed clutch derailleur and im going to do the mod with the spacer . My question is, im under the impression i need a new shifter as my original basic shimano one just wont work. What shifter would be best to get to suit this?

Cheers

gonzy
    Free Member

anything that is shimano 10sp dyna-sys will work.
    why dont you get the zee shifter?
    only £22.49 at Tweeks cycles
    http://www.tweekscycles.com/components/mtb-gear-shifters/shimano-zee-m640r-10-speed-rapidfire-pod-right-hand-rear

wysiwyg
    Free Member

If you’re staying 9spd it’s gotta be a SRAM x5/7/9/0 shifter and a 6.5ish mm spacer

fr0sty125
    Free Member

As above you will need to be a SRAM 9 speed shifter.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Funnily enough I happen to have a SRAM 9spd I can sell

j4m1e5
    Free Member

Was so close to buying a saint shifter there. So sram shifter it is then. Whats the details of the one you are selling mate?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Why stay 9 speed? You can get a chain and cassette for under £40 and a shifter second hand for under 20 probably.

j4m1e5
    Free Member

Would a new chain be essential even if ive converted to single speed at front? Checked on crc there cassete £36 and chain £15 then shifter on top of that. The reason i was staying with 9 speed was really just a quick/cheap fix for loosing the chain along with cluth mech

glasgowdan
    Free Member

New cassette and chain are only £30 at Merlin . If you went 10 speed you need a new chain as 9 and 10 are different widths.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

May as well go the whole hog, ive got and x7 or x9 iirc 10/20£ respectively

jonnouk
    Free Member

I can confirm that drilling a zee shortcage works really well. I eyeballed from this guy’s experiment and put a 2.5mm hole on the the “correct” side. I had a spare 8speed shimano shifter. Worked nicely despite using an oldish 8speed cassette and new chain.

j4m1e5
    Free Member

Wysiwyg is the x9 shifter 9 speed? Good con ? If so i will take it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Zee Clutch derailleur with 9 speed’ is closed to new replies.